Windows 10: DESPERATE! 1803 broke network sharing on 2 laptops

Discus and support DESPERATE! 1803 broke network sharing on 2 laptops in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Tonight (UK) I installed 1803 on 2 laptops, both of which are used exclusively to screen-capture live webcams 24/7 in hourly clips. I fetch up the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by clemenzina, May 13, 2018.

1. DESPERATE! 1803 broke network sharing on 2 laptops

Tonight (UK) I installed 1803 on 2 laptops, both of which are used exclusively to screen-capture live webcams 24/7 in hourly clips. I fetch up the recordings from across the network to "this" (XPS 15 in my sig) and edit them, upload to YouTube, and share.

I am accustomed to Win Updates turning off file sharing/turning on password protected sharing and have corrected the settings - but "this" laptop still cannot see the 2 updated ones.

Of the 2 updated laptops, one of them can access "this" laptop but the other says "You do not have permission". That's incidental really, because the big problem is that "this" laptop cannot see either of them.

I've done a number of reboots, one of which turned off wifi altogether but they're both online and recording fine now.

I am absolutely desperate, within the next hour or so there will be a big wakeup which I must cover and share, but I cannot get to the recordings.

:)

clemenzina, May 13, 2018

2. Windows 10 ver 1803 Network File Sharing is Not Working

I have a total of 4 PCs on my home network. I've upgraded 3 out of my 4 Win 10 pc's to ver 1803, including applying the latest update for that version, KB4103721.

Here is my problem:

When I click on Network in file explorer:

1 PC sees all 4 PCs on my network

2 PCs only see the 1 PC on my network which has NOT been upgraded to ver 1803 (it is downloading/installing the upgrade to version 1803 on that last PC as I type)

I've checked the advanced network settings on all of the PCs in control panel and all are set to Private Network and to allow other PCs to recognize it and to allow file sharing. I even removed password protection thinking that might help, it did not.

Why can't 2 out of the 3 PCs on my network recognize the other computers on the network? I didn't have this problem at all with the last version of Windows 10, so I am out of answers.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Marilyn360, May 16, 2018
  3. terry9205 Win User
    Windows 10: Network sharing problem between desktops with win7 and laptop with win10

DESPERATE!  1803 broke network sharing on 2 laptops [​IMG]

I have 3 computers networked, 2 are desktops with windows 7 pro (updated) and then a laptop with window 10 pro (1803). The error above shows every time I try to access the laptop from either of the windows 7 desktops. This just happened after the upgrade
    to windows 10 pro version 1803 on the laptop. Prior to the update of 1803 I was using the homegroup on windows 10 pro and everything worked fine. I could access the laptop from any of the other computers and vice versa. Now I can access the 2 desktops (windows
    7 pro) from the Laptop (windows 10 pro) but neither of the desktops can access the laptop.

All three are running Kaspersky Internet security with the latest updates.

I've set all the permissions on all three computers to everyone giving full access

I've set all the security to everyone

I've changed the sharing options to match all three

On the laptop

I've set two services to automatic (delayed start):

Function Discovery Provider Host

Function Discovery Resource Publication

I've tried to set a new folder in My Documents and only share this one folder, didn't work

I've uninstalled Kasperksy completely using revo uninstaller

I've turned off the windows firewall

I've tried to network map the drive and then a single folder, does not work

I've reset the registry entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlset/Control/NetworkProvider/HwOrder

I've Turned off password protected sharing

I've renamed the computer and changed the workgroup names

I can ping the computer from the desktop and it will show

I can share printers

Only 4 things I notice are different:

1. The desktops show Home network on the network and sharing center and the laptop shows Private network

2. When I go to change the workgroup names in the control panel it asks, is it for business or personal, no matter which I pick it reverts back to business network.

3. The laptop is connected through WiFi and the desktops are Ethernet connections.

4. the network and sharing page on the laptop (windows 10) shows a group called
    all networks. This does not show on the windows 7 desktops.

Does anyone else have any suggestions that might help?

terry9205, May 16, 2018
Thema:

DESPERATE! 1803 broke network sharing on 2 laptops

1. DESPERATE! 1803 broke network sharing on 2 laptops - Similar Threads - DESPERATE 1803 broke

2. Networking 2 laptops

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking 2 laptops: So I have been using walkthoughs this past 2 days to try and connect 2 laptops I have next to each other. I am trying both Wirelessly and through Ethernet. Nothing I do seems to work, when I do finally get them to see each other then they are asking for Network Credentials...
  3. in re: laptop not sharing network

in re: laptop not sharing network: I have a laptop and a desktop on the same network. The desktop displays both computers but the laptop won't so I am not able to print from the laptop using the printer which is connected via ethernet to the desktop. When I go to print a test page it won't print or show up in...
  4. Networking is broke!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Networking is broke!!: I don't know what's wrong, here. I thought I'd pinned it down to a bad network driver, but none of my other PCs had this issue. Rolling back the driver seemed to fix the issue, temporarily, and then when it happened again, I could simply roll the driver back again. Well, now,...
  5. 2 laptops broke.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2 laptops broke.: Ive had 2 laptops now they have both been rendered useless because of updates that break them I have tried every solution and nothing works. should be giving me a new one tbh....
  6. Update Broke Network Sharing - Help!

Update Broke Network Sharing - Help!: Ugh -- network with 15 Win 10 machines running build 1803. With an insane amount of work, we made it past HomeGroup removal last May, & network sharing was working fine until yesterday. Two computers got the update to build 1809 yesterday, and that seriously broke sharing...
  7. Network shares not working on 1803

Network shares not working on 1803: I have three machines on my network and mainly used the printer share. Two of them are on Windows 10 Pro and one on Windows 7 Home Premium. They all used to belong to a single homegroup which was set up on one of the Windows 10 Pro machines. After the 1803 update on both...
  8. Frustrations with 1803 and 2 network issues

Frustrations with 1803 and 2 network issues: I am experiencing no end of network problems since the roll out of 1803. I like to think of myself as reasonably competent when it comes to networking, but I have been stumped with 2 issues since the release of 1803. I have to ask the question if it ain’t broke why fix it? I...
  9. Another "1803" broke my home network

Another "1803" broke my home network: I've got a home network with ~9 computers on it. As "bad" as Homegroup seemed to be for some, it worked for me...almost all the time. (On occasion, I'd have to leave the homegroup and then reboot.) Now, with 1803, no two computers can see each other. I -can- access a word...
  10. 2 Desktops - Network sharing help please..

2 Desktops - Network sharing help please..: Every time i check one thing off my "to fix" list another pops up! I have 2 desktops next to one another and for the sake of explaining we'll call them main & backup. main can only see main under network (in explorer) backup can see backup and main under network...