Windows 10: Desperate Help Needed: How to check if files have been modified?

Discus and support Desperate Help Needed: How to check if files have been modified? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, I DESPERATELY need some help here. I've been using Dropbox for over 2 years now and I've been sharing my Dropbox account with other users.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by NiceAndShy, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Desperate Help Needed: How to check if files have been modified?

Hi all, I DESPERATELY need some help here.

I've been using Dropbox for over 2 years now and I've been sharing my Dropbox account with other users. I've got some .PDF files stored in my Dropbox folder and I'm VERY worried that these .PDF files have been modified by another Dropbox user.

This is my question: How can I check if my files in my Dropbox folder on my local HDD have been edited at all?

Thank you for any help!

:)

NiceAndShy, Sep 16, 2016
  2. wilke61 Win User

i want to check to see if i have been hack but cant get the command prom to run can any one help

is there an easy way lol

wilke61, Sep 16, 2016
  3. neilpzz Win User
    i want to check to see if i have been hack but cant get the command prom to run can any one help

Perhaps you have to type netstat -a -n -o

NETSTAT [-a] [-b] [-e] [-f] [-n] [-o] [-p proto] [-r] [-s] [-x] [-t] [interval]
    -a Displays all connections and listening ports.

-b Displays the executable involved in creating each connection or

listening port. In some cases well-known executables host

multiple independent components, and in these cases the

sequence of components involved in creating the connection

or listening port is displayed. In this case the executable

name is in [] at the bottom, on top is the component it called,

and so forth until TCP/IP was reached. Note that this option

can be time-consuming and will fail unless you have sufficient

permissions.

-e Displays Ethernet statistics. This may be combined with the -s

option.

-f Displays Fully Qualified Domain Names (FQDN) for foreign

addresses.

-n Displays addresses and port numbers in numerical form.

-o Displays the owning process ID associated with each connection.

-p proto Shows connections for the protocol specified by proto; proto

may be any of: TCP, UDP, TCPv6, or UDPv6. If used with the -s

option to display per-protocol statistics, proto may be any of:

IP, IPv6, ICMP, ICMPv6, TCP, TCPv6, UDP, or UDPv6.

-q Displays all connections, listening ports, and bound

nonlistening TCP ports. Bound nonlistening ports may or may not

be associated with an active connection.

-r Displays the routing table.

-s Displays per-protocol statistics. By default, statistics are

shown for IP, IPv6, ICMP, ICMPv6, TCP, TCPv6, UDP, and UDPv6;

the -p option may be used to specify a subset of the default.

-t Displays the current connection offload state.

-x Displays NetworkDirect connections, listeners, and shared

endpoints.

-y Displays the TCP connection template for all connections.

Cannot be combined with the other options.

interval Redisplays selected statistics, pausing interval seconds

between each display. Press CTRL+C to stop redisplaying

statistics. If omitted, netstat will print the current

configuration information once.

neilpzz, Sep 16, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Desperate Help Needed: How to check if files have been modified?

You could look at the date modified and compare this to your local backup perhaps?

If they should never have been modified then the creation date and the last modified date should be the same (which will make things easier). You can see this by right click > properties > details

5. Assuming you have a 100% "good" version of your file(s) and another one that you want to verify, use HashMyFiles to compare the hashes of the files (a sort of digital signature). If there are different, something must have changed.

AmigaRoots, Sep 16, 2016
  6. Thanks so much for your replies!

I've got another similar issue, but it doesn't involve Dropbox.

I've got one .PDF file that is located across a few different devices and HDD's and I just wanted to know if there's a way I can check if it's been altered by anyone? In other words, it's supposed to be the same .PDF file with the same content, but how can I check if anyone of them have been altered?

Thank you!

NiceAndShy, Sep 22, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Sep 22, 2016
  8. Desperate Help Needed: How to check if files have been modified?

Thanks, but how can I be sure that'll definitely tell me that the .PDF hasn't been changed? I just want to know that the pages and text inside it hasn't been changed because it's an e-book in .PDF format.

Is there something else I can try with a GUI?

NiceAndShy, Sep 22, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Sep 22, 2016
  10. x509 Win User
    Try Beyond Compare from Scooter Software. It may be just what you need.

11. Like I said, I just want to know that the content within the .PDF file is unchanged like the text and the number of pages.

Is there an app in particular someone can highly recommend for me?

NiceAndShy, Sep 25, 2016
  12. Hey guys, this is a really important issue for me so I'd love to hear more opinions from the experts on here!

NiceAndShy, Sep 28, 2016
  13. Desperate Help Needed: How to check if files have been modified?

I'm sure there are other users who could help me out. Could this thread be moved to a different forum please?

Thanks!

NiceAndShy, Sep 28, 2016
  14. lx07 Win User
    Did you try any of the previous suggestions? If so what was/were the result(s)?

15. Steve C Win User
    We have given you various solutions to tell if files have differences. Didn't these work for you?

Steve C, Sep 29, 2016
Thema:

Desperate Help Needed: How to check if files have been modified?

1. Desperate Help Needed: How to check if files have been modified? - Similar Threads - Desperate Help Needed

2. Desperately In need of help with this matter.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desperately In need of help with this matter.: Hello. My PC has been having a serious issue I've spend the past 2 months searching for solution and couldn't find any solution for this matter at all. My PC severly lags and intterupts my audio making it popping and crackling with mouse lag to the point my whole system...
  3. Desperately In need of help with this matter.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desperately In need of help with this matter.: Hello. My PC has been having a serious issue I've spend the past 2 months searching for solution and couldn't find any solution for this matter at all. My PC severly lags and intterupts my audio making it popping and crackling with mouse lag to the point my whole system...
  4. Desperate need for tech help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desperate need for tech help: Hi thank you I have used msword for awhile now, and recently renewed my subscription $99. However, my yahoo acct that I use to sign in for my windows, word, ms acct has been hacked. Not only that, but they changed the recovery email, and phone. i dont think they got into any...
  5. Desperate need for tech help

Desperate need for tech help: Hi thank you I have used msword for awhile now, and recently renewed my subscription $99. However, my yahoo acct that I use to sign in for my windows, word, ms acct has been hacked. Not only that, but they changed the recovery email, and phone. i dont think they got into any...
  6. Desperate need for tech help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. I need desperate help!

I need desperate help!: For about a month now, I've been having this insane, annoying and frustrating issue of my keyboard randomly cutting out until either i restart my computer or wait about ten minutes, the keyboard goes out like every 10 mins or so. I'm so drained and i have lost so much time...
  8. I need desperate help!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I need desperate help!: For about a month now, I've been having this insane, annoying and frustrating issue of my keyboard randomly cutting out until either i restart my computer or wait about ten minutes, the keyboard goes out like every 10 mins or so. I'm so drained and i have lost so much time...
  9. Desperately need help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desperately need help: So I was updating some apps here and there on my desktop and when I went to reboot I got this error message thay said "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". Now, I've been trying to access the bios but since I had...
  10. I need desperate help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need desperate help: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MrrrrrB [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f7bnwv/i_need_desperate_help/