Windows 10: Detecting computer's location in Edge and FF...

Discus and support Detecting computer's location in Edge and FF... in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Beta prerelease software - works exactly as it says on the box it came in, not necessarily the way you want it to. Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Cr00zng, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Detecting computer's location in Edge and FF...

Beta prerelease software - works exactly as it says on the box it came in, not necessarily the way you want it to.

Fafhrd, Jul 28, 2015
  2. Cr00zng Win User

While that's true, the webservers know my IP address, only Edge does it. Using the same search engine, DDG with the same search term, Firefox does not display the forecast.io link with GPS location. The location sharing is disabled in Firefox.

In another word Edge, or on a wider view, Microsoft changes the DDG search results on the "fly", inserting the seemingly "organic" link as the first result of the search. And that's despite the fact that location services are disabled that evidently does not apply to Edge or Microsoft in general. It would be interesting to know how DDG would view hijacking its search result. Even more interesting, if hackers could use modifying the search result on the "fly" to insert their own URL as the first link to their malware, organic or not...

Now, now... Windows 10 RTM had been released on June 29, 2015. As such, it's no longer Beta version...

Cr00zng, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Fafhrd Win User
    I posted that 4 days ago, when it was still beta and pre-release. Today is 01 August > release + 3 and counting, so I can't let you get away with that, despite the timezones *Wink

DDG is not in the same league with Google or Bing - whereas DDG does not use tracking info, I suppose, to give a "personalized and user oriented" search result, it also does not find things I might just be interested in, based on my historical searches. For me it is an inferior product.

I am not interested in advertising and marketing related searches. I use modified host files on my various OSs (Windows and Linux) to prevent web-pages from showing much of the rubbish that gets in the way of enjoyment of searching the web for information. It has no bearing on most of the fora, such as this one, that I subscribe to since membership has the reward of repressing what a guest would see if they dropped in here.

Simply put, Windows 10 is an Operating system that relies on knowing your location, where you are accessing it from, now. Otherwise Cortana can't remind you, when you get to the dentist, that you need to make an appointment for your mother to get a checkup.

It is not a desktop only operating system any more.

If you don't wish your OS to do that, you may be happier to stick with an earlier version, perhaps?

Fafhrd, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Cr00zng Win User

Actually, the Windows 10 RTM had been released about two weeks ego, so, both of us are wrong... *Biggrin*Biggrin

The point was that Edge or Windows system changed DDG search result, while Firefox does not on the same PC. I fail to see what relevence the subjective quality of the search engine has to do with this... *really

Get it right, Windows 10 runs in the cloud and doesn't have much to do with the desktop, other than providing the source of the data being collected. And of course I will stick with my Windows Vista, 7 and 8.x until I can.

Cr00zng, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    No, you are wrong. DDG displays the tracking info regardless of browser. Look again at the URL for both of them, they point to different URL's. Copy and paste the URL from Edge into FF, you will see the same results.

Mystere, Aug 1, 2015
  6. Johan Win User
    Lets say your IP comes with an 'basic' location (mostly the ISP's street-address).
    this location is pretty close to some end users already (let say 25Miles away)..
    but, when u use google maps and stuff (let say on ur phone, so your phone knows ur last location)
    when u use ur wifi at home, google adds that location and IP to a data base.

now the explaining why the links differ;
    IE not yet knowing the exact address of the IP, will come with that 'basic' location...
    but chrome (tied to google) knows the exact location (<2 miles)...

ofc the different systems share (or steal) the info, but that does not mean they trust each-others info.
    or maybe the info was not shared yet at all

hope that explained the difference between the links

Johan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Detecting computer's location in Edge and FF... - Similar Threads - Detecting computer's location

2. Detecting my location

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Detecting my location: Why does the Edge weather tab not detect my location correctly? Everything on MSN in correct. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/detecting-my-location/97081716-b662-427a-a3cd-241371bd7fa4
  3. Detecting my location

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Detecting my location: Why does the Edge weather tab not detect my location correctly? Everything on MSN in correct. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/detecting-my-location/97081716-b662-427a-a3cd-241371bd7fa4
  4. Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Edge detects the wrong Geographical Location: Location accuracy can do a lot in today’s times. In a browser, it would mean customized search results, personalized recommendations, etc. If Microsoft Edge on your PC is detecting a wrong geographical location, this guide will help you. There are many pros and cons that...
  5. Webpage won't load in FF or IE but is OK in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Webpage won't load in FF or IE but is OK in Edge: New to W10 (from W7) *Biggrin I have been searching/reading here but can't see the answer. The problem, a certain webpage and my home page My Web Page and your first step won't load in FF. I get 'Server not found' It works in Edge and I am rather new to that so prefer...
  6. Weather Location and Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Weather Location and Edge: When I open Edge browser it shows the weather in London (UK) which is near but not exactly local to me. Can the weather location be changed to suit my location without it reverting to London weather when I reopen Edge? 21949
  7. Edge Location

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Location: Anyone know the path of Edge? By that I mean where is it stored? I am trying to map a key with its location as I did with Firefox but cannot find it. Regards Alan 7750
  8. EDGE vrs FF speed test

in Browsers and Email
    EDGE vrs FF speed test: Unscientific test showing differences between Edge & FF from the same computer. It is very repeatable and shows some differences that may or may not mean anything. FF is faster on this test both up & down, but some interesting things so see. The test shows nice linear up...
  9. FF/EDGE & Irma

in Browsers and Email
    FF/EDGE & Irma: As I sit here watching this thing coming at me, just doing a comparison of FF (left) and Edge on a program called wundermap. Track is not shown on EDGE, (right) speed is 1x only while FF is adjustable, 10x selected. Satellite view shows on FF, non existent on EDGE. *Zip I...
  10. Security DVR no connect with Edge/FF

in Browsers and Email
    Security DVR no connect with Edge/FF: This has worked without any issues until about 1-2 weeks ago. W10AU.969, FF 52.0.2. This is on my home network with a 192... address. I tried Internet Explorer and it connects without issue. Is there a setting issue that I am overlooking. *Sad OR? 80443