Windows 10: Determine File System of Drive in Windows 10

Discus and support Determine File System of Drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Determine File System of Drive in Windows 10 How to Determine File System of Drive in Windows 10 [img] Information A file system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Determine File System of Drive in Windows 10

How to: Determine File System of Drive in Windows 10

How to Determine File System of Drive in Windows 10

Determine File System of Drive in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information A file system enables applications to store and retrieve files on storage devices.

Windows 10 supports formatting a drive using the ReFS file system.

[table][tr][td]Feature[/td] [td]FAT[/td] [td]FAT32[/td] [td]exFAT[/td] [td]NTFS[/td] [td]ReFS[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Maximum volume size[/td] [td]4 GB[/td] [td]32 GB[/td] [td]128 PB[/td] [td]256 TB[/td] [td]4.7 ZB (zettabytes)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Maximum file size[/td] [td]4 GB[/td] [td]4 GB[/td] [td]16 EB (exabytes)[/td] [td]18 EB (exabytes)[/td] [td]18 EB (exabytes)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Maximum filename length[/td] [td]8.3 characters[/td] [td]255 characters[/td] [td]255 characters[/td] [td]255 characters[/td] [td]255 characters[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Maximum cluster size[/td] [td]64 KB[/td] [td]32 KB[/td] [td]32 MB[/td] [td]2048 KB[/td] [td]64 KB[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Permissions[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]No[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [td]Yes[/td] [/tr] [/table]

This tutorial will show you how to determine the file system of a drive in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Determine File System of Drive in This PC
    • Option Two: Determine File System of Drives in Disk Management
    • Option Three: Determine File System of Drives in Command Prompt
    • Option Four: Determine File System of Drives in PowerShell

OPTION ONE [/i] Determine File System of Drive in This PC
    1. Open This PC in File Explorer (Win+E).

2. Right click or press and hold on the drive you want to know its file system, and click/tap on Properties. (see screenshot below)

3. You will now see the file system of the drive. (see screenshots below)

OPTION TWO [/i] Determine File System of Drives in Disk Management
    1. Right click on the Start *Start button to open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc).

2. You will now see the file system listed for each connected drive on the PC at the top. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] Determine File System of Drives in Command Prompt

Note You must be signed in as an administrator to use this option.

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the commands below one at a time into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter after each command. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow diskpart

*Arrow list volume
    3. You will now see the file system listed for each connected drive on the PC.

OPTION FOUR [/i] Determine File System of Drives in PowerShell
    1. Open PowerShell.

2. Type the get-volume command into PowerShell, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

3. You will now see the file system listed for each connected drive on the PC.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Nov 8, 2016
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Determine File System of Drive in Windows 10

Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Oct 26, 2019
  5. AM*
    Am* Win User
    Uber file server build -- suggestions

Uber file server build -- suggestions?

I'm currently in the process of buying stuff for my file server build. Going to try and keep this build all in one thread this time.

Stuff already bought:

• Motherboard (socket 1155 H61)
      RAM (1600MHz)
      PCI SATA cards
      Operating System (Windows 8 + FreeNAS)
      SSD
      CPU (35w Pentium Ivybridge 2.6GHz)
    Looking for suggestions on:

• GPU -- use the on-die GPU or buy a PCI-E graphics card (was thinking of a 7750)? My only requirement is that it is able to run 1080p mkv files and play Blurays without a problem.
      Case -- needs to hold as many 3.5" drives as humanly possible (more than 10 at least), while not being too expensive
      PSU -- needs to be able to run over 40 SATA HDDs as well as 6xPCI RAID cards and 1xPCI-E 2.0 RAID card. Silver, Gold or Platinum?
      CPU Cooler -- fanless or not?
      Case fans
    That's all I can think of for now...unless I'm forgetting something...oh and one more thing -- I will be buying the hard drives two at a time as I run out of space. Also the PCI-E RAID card will be bought a lot later down the line, as I've only just got enough hard drives for 1 out of 6 of my PCI SATA cards.

Any suggestions, feel free to post. Thanks

6. FreddyAk Win User
    Windows 10 installation file system

Hello I installed windows 10 on pendrive 3,75 gb with ntfs system file using ultraISO. I read on internet that it is required to use fat32 if you have uefi mobo which I do (msi b85m-g43). So far my system is working just fine except after boot screen the background doesnt dissapear, insted windows 10 loading circle on little black background appears and then it goes to welcome screen. Everythings else is fine so far. May this problem be caused by file system ? Or could it done any other problems I dont see?

Well Nevermind. It seems like program formatted pendrive to fat32 and I didnt see it.

FreddyAk, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Determine File System of Drive in Windows 10

1. Determine File System of Drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Determine File System

2. Determine necessary system files on my computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Determine necessary system files on my computer: I had a HDD replaced with a SSD in my desktop computer and some the files from the old drive were transferred to the new drive I think the OS was left on the HDD. I'm now looking at buying a new desktop and deleting unnecessary files from my old computer. I can see that I...
  3. Determine necessary system files on my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Determine necessary system files on my computer: I had a HDD replaced with a SSD in my desktop computer and some the files from the old drive were transferred to the new drive I think the OS was left on the HDD. I'm now looking at buying a new desktop and deleting unnecessary files from my old computer. I can see that I...
  4. Determine necessary system files on my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System Files on Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Files on Drive: Hi, not really sure where to put this post, and it's more curiosity than an issue. I was doing a back up onto a new 4TB external drive and noticed that the newly formatted drive had around 256 files totalling nearly 1GB before it even started. Out of curiosity, anyone know...
  6. File System Network drive in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File System Network drive in Windows 10: Windows 10 will not let me use my hard drive for File System. Drive is connected by USB to my router and I access it using the "Readyshare" utility supplied by Seagate....
  7. Determining the capacity of a flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Determining the capacity of a flash drive: Because I wanted to know exactly how much memory capacity a particular flash drive has. Because I tried checking it out in file explorer but no luck with it. Thanks in advance....
  8. How to determine origin of Windows 10 image on a system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to determine origin of Windows 10 image on a system: Hi, we have a number of systems in our environment and some of them have the OEM (Lenovo in most cases) Windows 10 image on them; and some were re-imaged using an ISO downloaded from Microsoft. Unfortunately our internal documentation on which were deployed which way is poor...
  9. Determine OS Version from hard drive files - not booting

in Windows 10 Support
    Determine OS Version from hard drive files - not booting: Often, when I'm repairing a computer, I need to know what OS was running on one that won't boot. However, I can boot using a live CD and examine the files. Maybe a Linux live CD. So, now that I can see the files, where does one look in order to know what the Windows OS...
  10. Determine System Memory Size, Speed, and Type in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Determine System Memory Size, Speed, and Type in Windows 10: How to: Determine System Memory Size, Speed, and Type in Windows 10 How to Determine System Memory Size, Speed, and Type in Windows 10 [img] Information Sometimes you may need or want to know how much, the speed, and what type of system memory (RAM) you have installed...