Windows 10: Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume

Discus and support Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume How to Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume When it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by shaggygoblin, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume

How to: Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume

How to Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume

When it comes to purchasing licenses for Windows there are a number of different channels that you can purchase through. The most common license types are Retail (FPP (Full Packaged Product)), OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), and Volume Licensing. Each Windows license type confers rights and imposes restrictions based on the Microsoft Software License Terms.

This tutorial will show you how to determine if your Windows is activated with a Retail, OEM, or Volume channel license type.

For more information, see: Licensing Logic: Whats the difference between OEM, Retail and Volume Licenses? | Microsoft Industry Blog

[table][tr][td]License Type[/td] [td]Description[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Retail[/td] [td]This when you buy a Full Packaged Product (FPP), commonly known as a "boxed copy", of Windows from a retail merchant or purchases Windows online from the Microsoft Store. Product keys can be transferred to another PC.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]OEM[/td] [td]Product keys are issued by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and are not-for-resale and may not be transferred to another computer. They may, however, be transferred with the computer if the computer is transferred to new ownership. If the OEM PC came preinstalled with Windows 8 or Windows 10, then the product key will be embedded in the UEFI firmware chip.[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Volume[/td] [td]KMS Client and Volume MAK product keys, are volume license keys that are not-for-resale. They are issued by organizations for use on client computers associated in some way with the organization. Volume license keys may not be transferred with the computer if the computer changes ownership. This form of licensing typically applies for business, government and educational institutions, with prices for volume licensing varying depending on the type, quantity and applicable subscription-term. A volume license key (VLK) denotes the product key used when installing software licensed in bulk, which allows a single product key to be used for multiple installations. For example, the Windows Enterprise edition is activated with a volume license key.[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Here's How:

1 Open a command prompt.

2 Type the slmgr -dli command into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshot below)

Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume [​IMG]

3 After a short moment, a Windows Script Host dialog will open to show you what license type your Windows is using. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

shaggygoblin, Aug 27, 2017

2. Unable to activate windows 10 with 8.1 key that was upgraded after hardware changes

What did you buy OEM or retail?

The following article will tell you how to run the slmgr -dli command. This command will tell you what type of licence you have OEM, RETAIL, or Volume Licence.

Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume

minangkabu, Aug 27, 2017
  3. minangkabu, Aug 27, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Problem with this, it does not do anything for telling status of digital licences from a 7/8 upgrade, as you only get a generic 10 key.

According to EULA, upgrade gets same status as original install, but it is well established that you cannot (as far as we know) tell the history of a digital licence - this is why transferring digital licences to a new device works regardless of compliance with EULA.

In reality, digital licences have blurred the boundary between oem and standalone.

cereberus, Aug 27, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    You can also buy an OEM license from Newegg for example. Many people do as it is cheaper than full retail even though according to the EULA it is only intended for new build PCs you intend to sell. It still has the transfer restrictions of a built in license but in that case the key isn't embedded in firmware.

I think a distinction between OEM license you can buy and OEM license that comes preinstalled on a new Dell/Lenovo etc would help this tutorial.

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Determine if Windows License Type is OEM, Retail, or Volume - Similar Threads - Determine License Type

2. Volume License vs OEM License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Volume License vs OEM License: Hi Team,In my organization, We have volume licence for my windows clients, Windows 10 enterprise, Pro, Etc.. > Can i a buy a bare metal laptop from vendor and use my company image and key to activate my laptop>Or do i need to buy device with operating system. >Is it mandatory...
  3. Is my license retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my license retail or OEM: Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using...
  4. Is my license retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is my license retail or OEM: Hello I bought a refurbished windows 7 pro PC and later upgraded it to 10. I am now switching to a new home-built PC and the question is: Can I transfer my license?In the settings, it says "windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account. using...
  5. Is my license retail or OEM

6. Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license: I want to remove OEM license and replace by retail license. The reason is I'm a vendor who sells `Computer Desktop` and `Laptop` to customer. Those Computer Desktops and Laptops have OEM license but my customer just want retail license only for financial reason. So I need to...
  7. Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove OEM license and replace by Retail license: I want to remove OEM license and replace by retail license. The reason is I'm a vendor who sells `Computer Desktop` and `Laptop` to customer. Those Computer Desktops and Laptops have OEM license but my customer just want retail license only for financial reason. So I need to...
  8. VOLUME License turns into Retail

VOLUME License turns into Retail: dear Microsoft Team,I bought a PC and the Windows 10 was activated as KMS Volume Activation/ activated with Organization's License. Then I tried to Rearm the License then it says: we cant activated your windows bl bl bla.....Then I clicked Activation Troubleshooting, and it...
  9. Microsoft store OEM license or Retail license

Microsoft store OEM license or Retail license: Is the Windows 10 USB product on the microsoft store an OEM license or a Retail license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store-oem-license-or-retail-license/46f89348-83e1-42ae-9596-da45958257ca
  10. How to tell if Windows 10 license is OEM, Retail or Volume (MAK/KMS)

in Windows 10 News
    How to tell if Windows 10 license is OEM, Retail or Volume (MAK/KMS): [ATTACH] We all have heard about Windows Keys all the time. This Product Key activates Windows on your computer so you can use it without any limitation. There are multiple places from where you can buy a Windows key. It can [...] This post How to tell if Windows 10 license...