Windows 10: Determine the former drive letter assignments on an old boot drive

Discus and support Determine the former drive letter assignments on an old boot drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Is it possible to discover the previous drive letter assignments on an old boot drive? I have a Windows 7 boot drive that previously was part of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bentleyousley, May 24, 2017.

1. Determine the former drive letter assignments on an old boot drive

Is it possible to discover the previous drive letter assignments on an old boot drive?

I have a Windows 7 boot drive that previously was part of a system with 8 hard drives. I cloned the boot drive from this system and moved to a newer system, on which I've since done an "upgrade in place" to Windows 10 Pro. I have some software that expects the drive letters be the same as the old system (in order to find certain resources.) Ideally I would like to simply change the drive letters in the new system to match the drive letters in the old system, unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what those are. So ... instead of testing a bunch of different letter assignments, I was hoping this information might still be available on the original boot drive. Any help is appreciated.

:)

bentleyousley, May 24, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Blue question mark over drive

If you click, change Drive Letter and Paths, can you assign a drive letter to that partition?

If so, assign drive letter W, since that was its original Drive Letter . . .

DaveM121, May 24, 2017
  3. Unable to assign drive letter to SSD partition

Hi,

Depending upon the number of partition and connected hardware devices Windows assigns a drive letter with which the drive is referenced. Windows uses
    MountMgr to manage drive letters. MountMgr will assign the next available drive letter to each device added, regardless of type. With the system drive assigned the letter C:, there may be other IDE, SATA or USB devices, such
    as a DVD ROM or a Flash drive assigned to letters D: and E:. When adding another drive, Windows will assign the next drive letter available, which in this case would be drive letter H:

Drive letters can usually be manually changed using Disk Management, however there may be some exceptions. In your case, the drive letter C was already used by other drive therefore drive assigned by Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

Anish A Kumar, May 24, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Determine the former drive letter assignments on an old boot drive

Welcome to the forum. The only way I can think of is look at the software either in a config file or registry searching the reg for the software should then tell you the drive I assume you know the folders for the software. You may only need to do it a couple of times

Samuria, May 24, 2017
  5. Barman58 Win User
    Barman58, May 24, 2017
  6. Thank you to those who offered pertinent suggestions. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices doesn't show the hard drive letters in a human readable format. Searching the registry for references to the old drive letters didn't yield the results I was looking for but it did lead me to resource files on the C: drive which contained references to the old drive letters. A couple of drive letter swaps and now everything seems to be cool. Much thanks!!

bentleyousley, May 27, 2017
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    Now you've done an in-place upgrade, the registry entry for MountedDevices will reflect the current status quo.

If you can examine the key held within the registry hives of the the cloned copy, if mounted, it will show the drive mounts as they were.

Fafhrd, May 27, 2017
  8. pepanee Win User

Another direction of a method you can keep in mind for future reference, (assuming it applies): If you remember creating any shortcuts in that hard drive to programs that are also within that hard drive? Open that drive in File Explorer and search for: *.LNK
    If it finds any .lnk files, right click > Properties. See where the original location is of that file.

pepanee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Determine the former drive letter assignments on an old boot drive - Similar Threads - Determine former drive

2. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  3. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  4. Removing Old Drive Letter Assignments

Removing Old Drive Letter Assignments: RE: Dell Optplex 3020 Windows 10: Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 x64 Hi, Have a small problem and I am going in circles.. I was moving a HDD and the DVD drive around so that I could get the HDD on D and the DVD on any other letter (Needed D for something else that I could...
  5. Removing Old Drive Letter Assignments

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing Old Drive Letter Assignments: RE: Dell Optplex 3020 Windows 10: Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 x64 Hi, Have a small problem and I am going in circles.. I was moving a HDD and the DVD drive around so that I could get the HDD on D and the DVD on any other letter (Needed D for something else that I could...
  6. Can't assign a drive letter to second drive in dual boot

Can't assign a drive letter to second drive in dual boot: I have installed Windows 10 2004 on my new SSD leaving the old hard drive in 1903. I was under the impression that you'd be allowed to access files from the hard drive if they were in dual boot, however the hard drive doesn't show up in windows 10. When using disk management,...
  7. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  8. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  9. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  10. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. determine drive assignments