Windows 10: Determine whether a usb drive is bootable

Discus and support Determine whether a usb drive is bootable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Short of rebooting, is there some way to tell whether a usb drive is bootable? 105327 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Mar 2, 2018.

1. tcebob Win User

Determine whether a usb drive is bootable

Short of rebooting, is there some way to tell whether a usb drive is bootable?

:)

tcebob, Mar 2, 2018
  2. angelpoli Win User

how to determine whether a nokia phone is made from finland or china?

I don't know where my nokia phone is made from cause on the nokia phone box, it just said made by nokia. So, what does this mean? from finland or china? I also want to ask is there any difference between nokia phone made from finland and china? I search
    the forum and they said there is no difference. So if there wasn't any difference why some people still insist on buying the nokia phone made from finland instead of china? So, i just want to confirm is there really no difference at all between nokia phone
    made from finland and china?

angelpoli, Mar 2, 2018
  3. grschinon Win User
    how to determine whether a nokia phone is made from finland or china?

There is absolutely no difference whatsoever between a genuine Nokia phone made in Finland and one made in China.

The reason some people insist on buying Finnish-made Nokias rather than Chinese-made is for any or all of the following reasons:

* They don't know that there is no difference between them and assume that the Chinese-made product is inferior

* They don't accept that there is no difference between them

* Unscrupulous retailers charge a premium for Finnish-made phones claiming that they're better (we've recently seen the case of a retailer in Egypt, I think, sticking the product identification labels of N78s made in Finland onto N96s made in China and selling
    the altered N96s $20 dearer than unaltered ones).

So, in answer to the question "how to determine whether a Nokia phone is made in Finland or in China", the answer is "look at the product identification label in the battery compartment, but it's irrelevant because they're identical anyway."

grschinon, Mar 2, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Not really. Some cheapie media thumb drives can't be made bootable.

If a good thumb drive was created with a legit bootable creation tool and has the normal resources on it, (usually 8 items), it should be bootable.

Determine whether a usb drive is bootable [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 2, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    To be capable of being made bootable a usb stick has to use an mbr partition table. You may not realise it, but a usb doesn't actually need a partiton table, and many are supplied formatted without one. Such a usb has to be reformatted completely from scratch to give it an mbr in order to make it bootable. This is what the MCT does when it makes a bootable usb, you can also do it yourself with Diskpart.

Edwin has shown examples of the contents of a typical bootable usb from Microsoft. The folders boot and efi, and the files bootmgr and bootmgr.efi are essentials, the rest may vary depending on the purpose of the usb. A bootable Recovery Drive won't have a setup.exe or autorun.inf, for example.

In addition, to be bootable on a legacy bios system the partition has to be marked as Active. You can see if it is in Disk Management.

Bree, Mar 2, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Thanks for reminding me about the MBR stuff, Bree. It had totally slipped my mind that active + MBR is what it takes to be bootable.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 2, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    Remember, that's only required for a legacy bios system, a uefi system doesn't care if the partition is active or not - if the right files are there it will boot.

Bree, Mar 2, 2018
  8. EdTittel Win User

Yes, but it explains by it's there on a "generally bootable" UFD, suitable for both BIOS and UEFI platforms. So again: thanks, and thanks one more time for the additional explanation.
    Best wishes,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Determine whether a usb drive is bootable - Similar Threads - Determine whether usb

2. Make a 59GB USB drive bootable?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Make a 59GB USB drive bootable?: Hi, my USB drive is 59GB and I can't make it bootable with Rufus. The drive is a GPT style and I can't change it to MBR or it won't boot. I also can't use active command since it is a GPT disk. How do I make it bootable?...
  3. creating bootable cd/usb drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    creating bootable cd/usb drive.: How do you create a bootable cd/USB drive in windows 10 or can I? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-bootable-cdusb-drive/9d71be61-a696-496a-9b75-d5cd792e0208
  4. Bootable USB Drive Not Showing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bootable USB Drive Not Showing: Hi, please help, I still can't boot my laptop properly.This problem is the continuation from this...
  5. How do I determine whether S mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I determine whether S mode: My Epson printer WF 2750 no longer responds to direction from my computer. It worked fine until I started transferring some information from a storage 'flash' to the Documents portion in the Computer. I am not sure whether I hit a button which created this S Mode. Message...
  6. Creating a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive: Hi, I was experiencing something unexpected, when trying to create the drive. Maybe you can tell me what went wrong, as I do not understand it. So, I wanted to help a friend reinstall the OS via thumb drive. This should be pretty straightforward. Download the ISO use a...
  7. bootable usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    bootable usb drive: I am having issues with a new dell 3781 laptop with win 10 pro. The dell os recovery file installed on a direct download to usb drive won't boot but goes directly to the desktop. To test this I need any bootable usb file software from any source, preferably a small file....
  8. Issue creating bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue creating bootable USB drive: Hi all, my first post. Thank you for any assistance in advance. I got a new 2nd hand Asus 2 in 1. I managed to finally get a fully functional Ubuntu Linux distro (dual boot) working on it. Unfortunately after getting it finally functional (Cheery Trail processors are not...
  9. USB or DVD Boot Drive Determination/Selection

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    USB or DVD Boot Drive Determination/Selection: I have downloaded and successfully installed Windows 10 version 1703 including the recent update. Now, I need to download and create Installation Media and note I need to determine whether this PC is setup to boot from USB drive or DVD drive. Either advancing age or brain...
  10. Bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Bootable USB drive: Hi I have been speaking to Macrium via Facebook and decided I will go for the full version and have the security of a full image if my notebook ever goes wrong.... plus they gave me a 20% discount code so that is good *Smile Just a couple of questions.... 1. I want...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to determine usb is bootable