Windows 10: Device Encryption - Turn On or Off for Windows 10 Mobile Phone

Discus and support Device Encryption - Turn On or Off for Windows 10 Mobile Phone in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Device Encryption - Turn On or Off for Windows 10 Mobile Phone How to Turn On or Off Device Encryption for your Windows 10 Mobile Phone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Mystere, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Mystere Win User

Device Encryption - Turn On or Off for Windows 10 Mobile Phone

How to: Device Encryption - Turn On or Off for Windows 10 Mobile Phone

How to Turn On or Off Device Encryption for your Windows 10 Mobile Phone

Device Encryption - Turn On or Off for Windows 10 Mobile Phone [​IMG]
    Information Device encryption helps protect your files and folder on your Windows 10 Mobile phone from unauthorized access in case your phone is lost or stolen.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off device encryption for your Windows 10 Mobile phone.

Here's How:

1. Open Settings, and tap on System. (see screenshot below)

2. Tap on Device encryption. (see screenshot below)

3. Do step 4 (on) or step 5 (off) below for what you would like to do.

4. To Turn On Device Encryption for your Windows 10 Mobile Phone
    A) Turn on device encryption. (see screenshot below)

B) If you haven't already, you will now be taken to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

Note Adding a PIN is not required to turn on device encryption, but it is recommended to add a PIN to make your phone more secure.

5. To Turn Off Device Encryption for your Windows 10 Mobile Phone
    A) Turn off device encryption, and go to step 6 below. (see screenshot below)

6. If you like, tap on the Start button at the bottom of your phone to go back to your Start screen. (see screenshot below)

That's it,
    Shawn

:)

Mystere, Jul 12, 2015

2. Update build 448 install fails

Rommei

Your reply seams to pointed towards device encryption being the sole cause of this update issue, however we also have this issue and all our devices are not encrypted.

TechnicaOne1, Jul 12, 2015
  3. Update build 448 install fails

Hi Chiriqui,

Let's get this resolved by turning off the Device encryption. To turn it off, just go to
    Settings> Update and security> Device encryption, then toggle off. After turning off the Device encryption please perform a soft reset, and try again updating the phone software. To soft reset the phone, just press and hold the power and volume
    down buttons at the same time until the phone restarts. We recommend a WiFi connection when updating the phone software.

Let us know the results.

Regards.

Rommel Diw, Jul 12, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

I found this older article below that may help better explain device encryption.

Device Encryption

Brink, Jul 12, 2015
  5. Mystere Win User
    No, I think this changed with Windows Phone 8. I've read a few accounts that say that Windows Phone 8 devices are required to have TPM chip.

Windows Phone 8 has | Network World

Mystere, Jul 12, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Good. I haven't seen anything yet that resembles BitLocker on my Lumia 1520 phone with device encryption turned on.

Brink, Jul 12, 2015
  7. ARC1020 Win User
    I am also interested in hearing more details from Microsoft, so I'm not sure whether I'll be able to provide you with any more info than you already know, however a couple of months ago I posted a link to a Channel 9 video from the Ignite 2015 conference, where one of their architects said that it's going to be possible for users to enable Bitlocker device encryption on Windows 10 Mobile. I do not know what encryption Microsoft are using in the above tutorial, so can only go off what Brink says, but you can find the Channel 9 video in the below post:

Users Will Be Able To Enable Bitlocker on Windows 10 Phone Devices

The same video also touches on TPM at around 10:00 in, where he mentions "... every Windows Phone has a TPM, every mobile device, even a Stream 7 like this from HP, has a TPM". I'm not sure about Windows 10 Mobile, but at this link it briefly mentions how TPM is implemented on Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8 phones. Again it's aimed towards IT professionals, as consumers weren't able to enable Bitlocker on their Windows 8 phones.

ARC1020, Jul 13, 2015
  8. xinlifoss Win User

I have a Lumia 640 XL, with now Windows 10 Mobile / Phone installed via Insider.

I see the option to enable encryption and followed the steps above.

However, *nothing appears to happen*.

The checked items is On for encryption, but when I look at Settings - System - Storage, it does NOT say that the system is encrypted.

Also, there is no progress dialog regarding the encryption process. The On/Off toggle for encryption can be changed at will.

Does encryption even work at all on Windows 10 Mobile / Phone?

Note: I also connected the phone to an ActiveSync Office365 policy that "requires" encryption. The only thing that happens is that the toggle is now set to On, but again, no progress dialog, no indication in the Storage settings that encryption is enabled or anything.

Does encryption even work for the SDCARD?

At this point, I cannot use this device if it is not possible to verify encryption works.

xinlifoss, Dec 16, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 16, 2015
  10. xinlifoss Win User
    thanks for the tip. yes, the phone did ask if I wanted to set a pin. I tried my tests with the pin set and without a pin set. no difference.

it took a while, but I finally got this new update installed.

alas, same pathology:
    • with a local Device Encryption toggled On, no dialog, no change in Storage status
    • with an activesync policy from Google Sync (Google for Work), the Requires Encryption policy is ignored by the device, so the toggle remains Off, yet the device seems to be reporting back to the server that encryption is activated because the data is syncing with the servers
    • with a native Office Enterprise that has a Requires Encryption policy, the settings toggle is moved to On and greyed out so the user cannot disable, the data is syncing immediately, yet the Storage settings do not indicate that the device is encrypted.

last thing. with windows 8.1r2, the Office Enterprise did seem to set the encryption correctly.

still puzzled.

xinlifoss, Dec 17, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm not sure how to go about testing it, but if it shows device encryption as turned on, it should be.

Brink, Dec 17, 2015
  12. xinlifoss Win User
    exactly. I really want to believe it is activated; however, since the phone does nothing (no pause, no dialog, no delay when switching off/on/off/on) I just cannot believe it is actually active. desktop/tablet win10 bitlocker, ios, and android all show some kind of indication that encryption is in progress and active.

xinlifoss, Dec 17, 2015
  13. xinlifoss Win User

I submitted feedback via the app to Microsoft about this.

After 12 hours with the Device Encryption toggle enabled, the Storage settings do not show any indication that the device is actually encrypted.

Also, disabling the toggle after waiting also seems to have no effect.

Finally, Exchange server does not report the device status. Upon initial sync with a new device, it immediately permits download of corporate data. This means that either the device could possibly be encrypting only new corporate data as it arrives, encryption is remarkably fast, or it does not actually encrypt.

So, I will just wait for the next few builds to see if anything changes. Love the phone. Win10Mobile is super nice. But security and stability are paramount.

xinlifoss, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Device Encryption - Turn On or Off for Windows 10 Mobile Phone - Similar Threads - Device Encryption Turn

2. Device encryption not turned off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Device encryption not turned off: my device wasnt able to turn off device encryption so i am not able to delete any files and install also needed help >< https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/device-encryption-not-turned-off/ed73a06f-0e82-4583-82af-58f46e28533b
  3. W-Fi Sense - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile Phone

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    W-Fi Sense - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile Phone: How to: W-Fi Sense - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile Phone How to Turn On or Off W-Fi Sense in Windows 10 Mobile Phone [img] Information Wi‑Fi Sense automatically connects you to Wi‑Fi, so you can get online quickly in more places. It can do these things for you...
  4. Turn On or Off Airplane Mode on Windows 10 Mobile Phone

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Airplane Mode on Windows 10 Mobile Phone: How to: Turn On or Off Airplane Mode on Windows 10 Mobile Phone How to Turn On or Off Airplane Mode on Windows 10 Mobile Phone [img] Information Bluetooth, and NFC sharing wireless communication at once on your Windows 10 Mobile phone. While in Airplane mode, you...
  5. Turn On or Off Bluetooth on Windows 10 Mobile Phone

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Bluetooth on Windows 10 Mobile Phone: How to: Turn On or Off Bluetooth on Windows 10 Mobile Phone How to Turn On or Off Bluetooth Wireless Communication on Windows 10 Mobile Phone [img] Information Bluetooth lets you use all sorts of wireless devices with your phone—Bluetooth headsets, headphones, a...
  6. Mobile Hotspot - Turn On or Off on Windows 10 Mobile Phone

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Mobile Hotspot - Turn On or Off on Windows 10 Mobile Phone: How to: Mobile Hotspot - Turn On or Off on Windows 10 Mobile Phone How to Turn On or Off Mobile Hotspot on a Windows 10 Mobile Phone [img] Information You can create a mobile hotspot with your Windows 10 Mobile phone to share your cellular data connection with other...
  7. Device Portal for Mobile - Turn On or Off on Windows 10 Mobile Phone

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Device Portal for Mobile - Turn On or Off on Windows 10 Mobile Phone: How to: Device Portal for Mobile - Turn On or Off on Windows 10 Mobile Phone How to Turn On or Off Device Portal for Mobile on Windows 10 Mobile Phone [img] Information The Windows Device Portal lets you configure and manage your device remotely over a network or USB...
  8. Find My Phone - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile Phone

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Find My Phone - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile Phone: How to: Find My Phone - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile Phone How to Turn On or Off Find My Phone in Windows 10 Mobile Phone [img] Information It's nerve-wracking when you can't find your phone. Whether it's truly lost, or just stuck between the sofa cushions,...
  9. Flashlight - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile Phone

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Flashlight - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile Phone: How to: Flashlight - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 Mobile Phone How to Turn On or Off Flashlight in Windows 10 Mobile Phone [img] Information Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10149 for phones now includes a Flashlight quick action button in the Action Center so...
  10. Turn On or Off Emergency Alerts in Windows 10 Mobile Phone

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Emergency Alerts in Windows 10 Mobile Phone: How to: Turn On or Off Emergency Alerts in Windows 10 Mobile Phone How to Turn On or Off Emergency Alerts in Windows 10 Mobile Phones [img] Information Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA) are emergency messages sent by authorized government alerting authorities through...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn on device encryption

2. turn off device encryption in windows 10

3. cannot turn off device encryption on windows phone

4. TPM not usable PCR7 binding not supported hardware security not usable,
  5. turn off device encryption in windows mobile 10,
  6. Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable PCR7 binding is not supported Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected TPM i,
  7. should devise encryption be turn on or off,
  8. windows 10 mobile turn off encryption,
  9. turn off device encryption in windows 10 mobile,
  10. device encryption support reasons for failed automatic device encryption hardware failed and is not instant go,
  11. windows 10 device encryption off,
  12. windows 10 turn device encryption off,
  13. turn off device encryption,
  14. device encryption in Windows Phone,
  15. window 10 mobile turn off microsd encryption