Windows 10: Device Manager questions

Discus and support Device Manager questions in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a couple of questions about updates to certain areas of the device manager. System is Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero Viii... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AirPower4ever, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Device Manager questions

I have a couple of questions about updates to certain areas of the device manager. System is

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero Viii
    GTX 980Ti
    Core i7-6700
    8GB memory

My question is that I see a couple of items that I am not sure if I need to update or not and if I do, is it better to get it from the manufacturer instead of using the Windows download version. I use the Windows Update MiniTool.

Q1. System Firmware - I see this listed and not sure what it is. It is not listed for updating (at least in the mini it does state the name at all, but then again...).

Q2. Under System devices - all my chipset items are up to date. But wondering in the mini it shows a couple of items.
    * Intel Watchdog Timer Driver - I do not see this anywhere in the device manager so not sure if this one and if it needs to be updated. I read at various places that it is good and bad so not sure. Then, where do I get it? Went to Intel and cannot find it at all. Is this just a special from Microsoft?

Q3. As I mentioned earlier my chipset is updated to 10.1.1.18 4-4-2016, but the mini still says I am out of date on Intel 100 series/C230 series chipset family PMC-A121. I looked at the Microsoft catalog and I see a list there of this one, but they show version 10.1.1.14 1-26-2016 so not sure why this is doing what it is

Q4. Same this here for Intel 100 series/C230 series chipset family SMBus-A123

Q5. I also see this, Huawei Technologies-other hardware-Huawei system firmware 1.0. Could this be tied to the System Firmware mentioned above?

I apologize if this is in the wrong area here and for the length of this thread. Just making sure what is needed and some enlightenment. Thanks

:)

AirPower4ever, Jun 16, 2016

2. Device Manager question

Can someone explain why I have so many interface devices listed here? See area outlined in yellow. There is no identification for any except the Naga Hex mouse. I am assuming the system controller is necessary but why is there no ID on any of the other
    entries and why so many duplications?

Device Manager questions [​IMG]

lynspottery, Jun 16, 2016
  3. Device Manager question

As far as I know all drivers are up to date.

Well that might depend upon which type of devices you are asking about. I have a feeling what I am providing here is a bit of overkill and may not be exactly what you are looking for, but here goes:

Currently, the only peripherals I have plugged into my pc are:

1. Logitech G910 keyboard

2. Razer Naga Hex mouse

3. one set of two sound speakers (no speakers are installed inside my pc)

4. one monitor

...as far as I can tell all item drivers are up-to-date.

However, multitudes of other items connected in one way or another to my system build:

1. several fans and assorted system devices

2. nVidia display graphics card GTX GeForce 770

3. several Universal Serial Bus Controllers

4. Several Network adapters

Avast SecureLine TAP Adapter v3

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection l217-V

N600 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

Realteck PCIe GBE Family Controller

and the list goes on...so I am including a screen shot, although difficult to catch everything in one, but here it is:

Device Manager questions [​IMG]

lynspottery, Jun 16, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

Device Manager questions

My personal opinion is that although the mini tool is going a little deeper than necessary, most of the items in system get covered by the chipset and manufacturer drivers for a board.

For Q3, the tool may indeed indicate you are out of date if it's comparing the manufacturer supplied chipset driver to Intel's - that really doesn't mean that you need to update it though, manufacturers take and modify chipsets for their particular hardware loadout. If you are up to date with Asus on the chipset, I say you're good to go there.

RWOne, Jun 16, 2016
  5. I see no reason to trust any third-party application to do something so vital and core to the OS. I wouldn't ever trust a replacement for Windows Update or a Driver Update program.

My suggestion is to look for yourself. See what Windows Update brings down. Then, if you feel you have an issue with a piece of hardware, look to the vendor for an update.

DeaconFrost, Jun 16, 2016
  6. Is the device flagged in Device Manager?
    No - leave it alone.

Are you experiencing issues with the Driver?
    No - leave it alone.

If Yes for either, then try Windows Update to see what it offers.
    If it doesn't have an update for the Driver of the Driver provided by WU doesn't solve the issue, then visit the OEM and download only a Driver that fixes the issue.

The same rule applies to BIOS - no problems - don't update .
    Most firmware is only updated every few years when Basic Input / Output HW changes.

Newer is not always better !

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Device Manager questions

1. Device Manager questions - Similar Threads - Device Manager questions

2. Other devices, Intel Tile Device with Question Marks in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Other devices, Intel Tile Device with Question Marks in Device Manager: Under device manager I keep seeing the following,If I try to uninstall, it will just re-appear later, not sure what to do since I already did the following:Installed the latest Windows updates.Installed the latest updates for my motherboard ROG Maximus Z790 Hero.Thanks....
  3. Other devices, Intel Tile Device with Question Marks in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Other devices, Intel Tile Device with Question Marks in Device Manager: Under device manager I keep seeing the following,If I try to uninstall, it will just re-appear later, not sure what to do since I already did the following:Installed the latest Windows updates.Installed the latest updates for my motherboard ROG Maximus Z790 Hero.Thanks....
  4. I have a question regarding the device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a question regarding the device manager: In the device manager the common named "display adapters" is called "display adaptors" while the "network adapters" is called "network adapters"? Why is display adapters with an "o" instead of "e"....
  5. I have a question regarding the device manager

I have a question regarding the device manager: In the device manager the common named "display adapters" is called "display adaptors" while the "network adapters" is called "network adapters"? Why is display adapters with an "o" instead of "e"....
  6. I have a question regarding the device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Device manager question. What are the many things in network adaptor section of device manager.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device manager question. What are the many things in network adaptor section of device manager.: Please explain, what is many things in network adaptor section of device manager. * Moved from Community Center* Original title: Device manager question...
  8. Device manager question. What are the many things in network adaptor section of device manager.

Device manager question. What are the many things in network adaptor section of device manager.: Please explain, what is many things in network adaptor section of device manager. * Moved from Community Center* Original title: Device manager question...
  9. 20h2 question device manager

in Windows 10 Support
    20h2 question device manager: I recently upgraded to 20h2 and I just noticed You can no longer get to device manager by right clicking this PC & Going to properties you have to start typing for it to show up same thing goes for when I wanted to find the system restore settings so there's no shortcuts for...
  10. Managing printer device question.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Managing printer device question.: Managing printer device question. I would like to clean my printer heads. However the manage your device page does not allow me to do that. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/managing-printer-device-question/530f30d4-6b66-4cf7-8451-bbb0e6fa66c8