Windows 10: Device's screen blinks constantly and eventually crashes when attempting to add printers.

Discus and support Device's screen blinks constantly and eventually crashes when attempting to add printers. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I was going to print something for someone on another computer which recently updated from v. 1511 to v. 1803, but the printer was not listed so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JarlPenguin, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Device's screen blinks constantly and eventually crashes when attempting to add printers.

I was going to print something for someone on another computer which recently updated from v. 1511 to v. 1803, but the printer was not listed so I attempted to add it. First, I tried the normal method, of adding the printer through the Settings app. However, I was immediately greeted with some severe lag followed by Windows freezing, and then my screen started blinking constantly, about every 3 seconds. I tried switching to another port on my monitor but I got no response on that cable. Then I switched backed to the original port, and the computer was still frozen. Then it shut down after a few seconds of no response.

The computer then booted up fine, so I tried it again. But I was greeted with the same results. The same thing happened when attempting to add a printer through the Control Panel version of the printer addition.

The specs are as follows:
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4570

RAM: 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600

SSD: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256GB

OS: Windows 10 version 1803 (April 2018 update) latest updates

:)

JarlPenguin, Aug 14, 2018

2. Windows 10 crash, screen off keyboard blinks

Hello Quint,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

To resolve this issue let us try the following steps:

Try disconnecting all external drives, and then restart the computer. Check if you are able to log-back to the desktop without the screen going off or the keyboard blinking. If the issue still persists then follow these steps.

Do you experience rapidly screen flicker/blinking after logging into the main Windows 10 Start Screen or do you experience this issue at the login screen itself?

If the issue appears after logging into the Windows 10 start screen then you may follow these steps:

If we see the screen flickering after sign-in there are two possible causes – apps causing Explorer to crash, or display driver issues.

To start, press this key combination: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If this opens Task Manager and that window is NOT flickering:

The likely cause is Software Compatibility issue causing Explorer.exe to crash repeatedly.

• Use the File, Run option in Task Manager to open additional tools as-needed. Be sure to check the box to run tools as Administrator. These could include:

appwiz.cpl: Opens Programs and Features

compmgmt.msc: Opens Computer Management

cmd.exe
    • You can search for crash events in the Event Logs and find if any third party DLLs are the faulting module in the Explorer,.exe crashes Or uninstall software that is likely to include shell extensions.
    • If removing software does not resolve the issue, use these commands to repair Windows:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

We have reports that removing these apps help resolve the issue:

• Norton Antivirus
    • Other AV solutions
    • iCloud
    • IDT Audio (faulting module IDTNC64.cpl)

If Task Manager is flickering, or it didn’t open, proceed with display driver troubleshooting:

The likely cause is a display driver or display hardware issue.

• Boot to Safe Mode with Networking.
    • Use the same steps here as for Black Screen issues – if dual chipset, disable built-in graphics, if still flickers, try with only the other chipset enabled.
    • If this does not work, or there is only a single chipset, uninstall the device and remove the driver software.
    • Then boot into Windows and update the drivers to the latest from the manufacturer.

Try the above steps and let us know the result.

Thank you.

Mohan Suryanarayan, Aug 14, 2018
  3. 93tid Win User
    Lumia 435's screen constantly blinking

Which Lumia do you have ? What exactly do you mean by the screen constantly blinking ? Is that when the screen is locked or during normal use ?

93tid, Aug 14, 2018
  4. Device's screen blinks constantly and eventually crashes when attempting to add printers.

Blinking Screen

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Blinking screen issue is usually caused due to Video card drivers.

I suggest you to try updating the Display Adapter drivers check if it works for you.

Follow the steps to update the Display driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.
    • Select the option to automatically search for the updated driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its updated and verify.
    Also try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest display drivers for your computer and install the same.

If issue still persists, I suggest you to Uninstall and reinstall the Display driver and check if it works for you.
    Refer to the steps below:

Follow the steps to uninstall the Display driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Display Adapter listed and click on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Select the option to Delete driver software.
    • Restart the computer after its uninstalled.
    Also try to access the computer manufacturer's website and download the latest display drivers for your computer and install the same.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Aug 14, 2018
Thema:

Device's screen blinks constantly and eventually crashes when attempting to add printers.

1. Device's screen blinks constantly and eventually crashes when attempting to add printers. - Similar Threads - Device's screen blinks

2. Freezing Screen, eventual crash.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Freezing Screen, eventual crash.: I've used Event Viewer and it appears bugcheck is responsible for my crashing, this is happening periodically, sometimes when I return from Sleep or Hibernate othertimes in the middle of using an application and I haven't been able to pin it down, any help would be...
  3. Freezing Screen, eventual crash.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Freezing Screen, eventual crash.: I've used Event Viewer and it appears bugcheck is responsible for my crashing, this is happening periodically, sometimes when I return from Sleep or Hibernate othertimes in the middle of using an application and I haven't been able to pin it down, any help would be...
  4. Freezing Screen, eventual crash.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Constant “Add a Device” Notifications

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Constant “Add a Device” Notifications: Please help me. I am constantly receiving “Add a Device” notifications on my laptop every single minute. I have tried turning them off, I have turned off every single notification and I still receive them. When I click on the setting button for the banner, the option for go...
  6. Cannot Add Printer. Printers & Scanners Window Crashes When Trying to Add New Printer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot Add Printer. Printers & Scanners Window Crashes When Trying to Add New Printer.: Under Printers & Scanners if I try to add a device the window will crash. In addition, under Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers, when pressing the add printer or device button a window pops up then disappears. Using Windows 10 Pro Ver 1909 Thanks for...
  7. Devices and Printers - Add Device / Add a printer - Flashes and closes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Devices and Printers - Add Device / Add a printer - Flashes and closes: Hello, I have Windows 10 1909 and when i go to: control panel - Devices and Printers - Add Device / Add a printer the menu flashes for 1 sec and then closes. Also if i go to: start menu - settings - devices that menu also flashes for 1 sec and them closes. In...
  8. Devices and Printers - Add Device / Add a printer - Flashes and closes

Devices and Printers - Add Device / Add a printer - Flashes and closes: Hello, I have Windows 10 1909 and when i go to: control panel - Devices and Printers - Add Device / Add a printer the menu flashes for 1 sec and then closes. Also if i go to: start menu - settings - devices that menu also flashes for 1 sec and them closes. In...
  9. "Add Devices" and "Add Printer" crashes

"Add Devices" and "Add Printer" crashes: I have been trying to add a wireless printer to my laptop both HP, and although the HP Smart app detects the printer, I can't add it in Settings. I can go in Settings and select Devices, but whenever I click to add a new device be it printer, bluetooth, etc. the Settings app...
  10. "Add a device" or "Add a printer" dialog

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Add a device" or "Add a printer" dialog: Hi, I am running Windows 10, and, when I go to the "Devices and Printers" window, I have no "Add a Device" or "Add a Printer" dialog appearing when I click the related buttons in the top-right. I only see a brief flash of a blank opening window, and then nothing. I am...