Windows 10: DHCP question

Discus and support DHCP question in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; What does it mean when it's said, "set your IP addresses as reserved (fixed) IP addresses outside of the routers DHCP address pool?" I have an Asus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Beerlord, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Beerlord Win User

DHCP question

What does it mean when it's said, "set your IP addresses as reserved (fixed) IP addresses outside of the routers DHCP address pool?"
    I have an Asus RT-AC87U and have set up a few devices for static IP's but I'm not sure which addresses would be considered outside of the DHCP address pool.
    Thanks!

:)

Beerlord, Sep 27, 2015
  2. chromecat Win User

Battery and DHCP on Nokia C3 question

first:

Is there a way to see the state of battery charge? (i meant % of remaining battery and no the bar icon on the main screen)

It is possible query battery status for a j2me application. See link. You'd have to write a small midlet for that (or find someone with a knack
    for programming).

second:

Is there a way to set a static IP for the WLAN? (i can't find other way to connect different to DHCP)

Not to my knowledge. WLAN settings can be modified in Settings->Connectivity->WLAN->Edit.

chromecat, Sep 27, 2015
  3. darivo Win User
    Battery and DHCP on Nokia C3 question

hi all

i have 2 questions for you, i hope someone can help me

first:

Is there a way to see the state of battery charge? (i meant % of remaining battery and no the bar icon on the main screen)

second:

Is there a way to set a static IP for the WLAN? (i can't find other way to connect different to DHCP)

im playing with this phone and We-Travel Navigator (paired with GPS bluetooth antenna) and is great under a Java script DHCP question ;). great phone!

darivo, Sep 27, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

DHCP question

You would need to access your router's DHCP configuration to see what range of addresses it uses for distribution.
    If you set static addresses within the DHCP range then DHCP issues an identical address, you get duplicate address errors and associated problems from that.

Kanata, Sep 27, 2015
  5. Beerlord Win User
    It uses 192.168.1.1 thru 254. I assume if I want to use some for static addresses it's best to start at the high end of the range, yes?

Beerlord, Sep 27, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    You can limit the address pool to for instance 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200, in which case the the router assigns the dynamic IPs from this pool. You can then use addresses 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99 and 192.168.1.201 to 192.168.1.254 for devices you want to assign a static IP.

7. Beerlord Win User
    I'll try that. Thanks again!!!!!

Beerlord, Sep 27, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

DHCP question

I am not sure if you really need to reserve any address for Static IP. Setting up a static IP address for a device is actually bound the address to the MAC ID of the device so there's no chance that the router will assign the same address to another device. I always like to assign the IP's in sequence so I can easily identify them:

DHCP question [​IMG]

topgundcp, Sep 27, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    One must remember there is a difference between assigning a static IP address on the client (computer) and setting a reserved address on the router. Topgundcp's example is setting reserved IP addresses on the router, which is the way I prefer to do it. The computer listed that way will always obtain the same IP address from the router - when it is connected to that network. It will probably pull a different IP address if the computer is connected to a different network.

In the OP, "set your IP addresses as reserved (fixed) IP addresses outside of the routers DHCP address pool?" would be setting a static IP address on the client (within Windows network properties on the computer). If the static IP address set on the computer is within the range of addresses that the router dishes out (DHCP) then there may very well be a duplicate address assigned by the router and a conflict results. Also, if the computer moves (like a laptop) to a different network, the static IP address set on that computer might not work on the new network it attaches to.

NavyLCDR, Sep 27, 2015
  10. Beerlord Win User
    This is all great info that even I can understand.
    I'm going to tweak things, keep notes and see what happens over the next few days to a week.
    Good stuff ya'll!

Beerlord, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

DHCP question

1. DHCP question - Similar Threads - DHCP question

2. problem to request new DHCP address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    problem to request new DHCP address: Hi,I have 14 different locations/offices in my company.Before each location was apart from each other. I had a fortigate firewall at each location, with dhcp server in the firewall.Now we changed the network and each location connect to the same firewall and DHCP server in...
  3. problem to request new DHCP address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    problem to request new DHCP address: Hi,I have 14 different locations/offices in my company.Before each location was apart from each other. I had a fortigate firewall at each location, with dhcp server in the firewall.Now we changed the network and each location connect to the same firewall and DHCP server in...
  4. How to fix my connect to the DHCP served

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix my connect to the DHCP served: I’m having trouble connect to the internet so I ran the troubleshooter and it saying having trouble connecting to the DHCP server I have reset my router I have don’t all the commands like ipconfig /renew and all that I have turn off Internet protocol version 6 I have...
  5. How to fix my connect to the DHCP served

How to fix my connect to the DHCP served: I’m having trouble connect to the internet so I ran the troubleshooter and it saying having trouble connecting to the DHCP server I have reset my router I have don’t all the commands like ipconfig /renew and all that I have turn off Internet protocol version 6 I have...
  6. Unusual Behavior from DHCP-Client

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unusual Behavior from DHCP-Client: Hello, I am asking if anyone knows this particular issue I am having concerning local IP address assignment. Basically, whenever my machine connects to WiFi, it reports as having no internet. Going into the event viewer, there are multiple logs from the dhcp client about IP...
  7. A question about DHCP and static IP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A question about DHCP and static IP: Hello,In a local network that computers get IP addresses from a DHCP server, if someone set a static IP on his\her network adapter, then is it possible for the DHCP server to give the IP address that this user manually set on his network card to another computer?Thank you....
  8. A question about DHCP and static IP

A question about DHCP and static IP: Hello,In a local network that computers get IP addresses from a DHCP server, if someone set a static IP on his\her network adapter, then is it possible for the DHCP server to give the IP address that this user manually set on his network card to another computer?Thank you....
  9. A question about DHCP and static IP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Bitlocker Network Unlock - DHCP/PXE Question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker Network Unlock - DHCP/PXE Question: We are rolling out Network Unlock for Bitlocker on Win10 Enterprise machines. Clients are on VLAN1 DHCP Server is on VLAN10 WDS Server is on VLAN10 WDS and DHCP are on different servers. Everything looks correct. Clients are getting the Certificate from GPO. Subnet...