Windows 10: “Diagnosing your PC” at start up on new install

Discus and support “Diagnosing your PC” at start up on new install in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; History: Had Win8.1 running for 3 years on Dell M4500 laptop - one day couldn't log on, getting "preparing automatic repair" message and could never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Marinaio, May 23, 2017.

1. Marinaio Win User

“Diagnosing your PC” at start up on new install

History:
    Had Win8.1 running for 3 years on Dell M4500 laptop - one day couldn't log on, getting "preparing automatic repair" message and could never fix it. Bought new SSD and installed Win10

Problem:
    I just got the same "preparing automatic repair/Diagnosing your PC" on my freshly installed two week old SSD.

Question:
    Is this a bug in Windows?

:)

Marinaio, May 23, 2017

2. I am stuck in "Diagnosing your PC" at start up. How can I enter a safe mode to reset Windows 10?

Hi

i got same question

My PC is an Asus S56C, with Windows 10 updated.

I left the PC turned on while i was out of my house and came back really late (or early, if you like) and in the morning the screen showed BSOD. After reboot it was working fine, until mid day when he completely froze. I rebooted and since then it can't start

at poweron it shows boot start screen with circle dots spinning. Nothing happens

after a couple of reboot, it start writing "Running Diagnosis" with circle dot spinnings. I left 8+ hours with this screen, still dots are spinning, nothing happens

“Diagnosing your PC” at start up on new install [​IMG]

i booted with a linux distro (xubuntu, in text mode), and it start fine; i was able to check disks, mount them, navigate through directory and also read a couple of (txt) files.

i used memtest86 to scan ram and no error was found

i booted with a Windows 10 recovery disk (installation disk on USB pen) and tried

• startup repair was stuck in "Running Diagnosis" for a while, then i rebooted and
    • run command prompt and typed:
      • bootrec /scanos

after a while (around 10-15 minutes) it showed me "total Windows installation found: 0"
      • bootrec /fixmbr

operation completed
      • bootrec /fixboot

operation completed
      • bootrec /rebuildbcd

it showed me "total Windows installation found: 0"

“Diagnosing your PC” at start up on new install [​IMG]

Then i tried to force rebuilding BCD as i found on this guide (link):

• bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup

to do a backup
    • attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

to let me do next tasks
    • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

to do a backup of BCD without deleting it (i could just simply delete it but this way i got a backup)
    • bootrec /rebuildbcd

to start again BCD rebuild; still saying "total Windows installation found: 0"

rebooted

still stuck at "diagnosis"

-_-

Now go back to USB recovery disk, this time tried to

• do a checkdisk: chkdsk c: /f /r /x

now is doing something, checking for clusters; i'll leto you know if this resolve the issue

It's been a while (several hours) i spent on the problem in the last 2 days. I'll go for a clean reinstall if i would be sure this could solve the problem x_x'

Edit: update

Chkdsk shows results, it says it corrected a couple of "orfans" files. Then checked clusters for no errors. I then rebooted and...

still no solution -_-

Edit2: update

i had to reinstall windows. It works fine now... but it took veeeeeeery long to boot up... :|

(but that's
    another story
    ...)

Kelpie Malefico, May 23, 2017
  3. I am stuck in "Diagnosing your PC" at start up. How can I enter a safe mode to reset Windows 10?

my desktop is always goes on diagnosing mode while i start pc. mouse and keyboard also doesnot works,just blinks for once

PRATAPKARKI, May 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, while many things are possible, most people see that as a result of some unfortunate event, more probable, I suggest, than considering it as being a Windows bug.

What is common here is the environment- the same laptop. Determining cause would be next to impossible.

As to fixing it: I suggest you download Kyhi's boot DVD/flash drive from the top of the Software and Apps section, which will boot your PC to a version of Windows 10.

You can run HDTune on that to check your disk.
    Do not proceed unless good, and post back the outcome.

Macrium Reflect is also on that disk, and has a useful means of attempting to correct boot problems.

Use Macrium Reflect Rescue Media to Fix Windows Boot Issues Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Fixing Windows boot problems - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

dalchina, May 23, 2017
  5. Marinaio Win User
    @dalchina,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I'm a unix person. Is my understanding that Win10PE is analogous to a Linux Live CD? And do you recommend installing as dual boot so if it does happen again I can boot that (or is it better to have it external as a last chance to rescue files)?

Marinaio, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. “Diagnosing your PC” at start up on new install - Similar Threads - “Diagnosing PC” start

2. diagnosing your pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    diagnosing your pc: Good morning, I have a huge problem with turning on my computer. The "diagnosing your pc" window appears. I looked at tutorials, but they are for Windows 10, and mine is Windows 11...
  3. diagnosing your pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    diagnosing your pc: Good morning, I have a huge problem with turning on my computer. The "diagnosing your pc" window appears. I looked at tutorials, but they are for Windows 10, and mine is Windows 11...
  4. Stuck on diagnosing your pc,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck on diagnosing your pc,: every time it gets to the screen i can only choose shut down or advance options no matter what option i try it only lets me shut down. how do i get to log back in or fix this issue. tried over an hour but only will let me shut down unplugged everything and nothing unplugged...
  5. Stuck on diagnosing your pc,

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck on diagnosing your pc,: every time it gets to the screen i can only choose shut down or advance options no matter what option i try it only lets me shut down. how do i get to log back in or fix this issue. tried over an hour but only will let me shut down unplugged everything and nothing unplugged...
  6. Stuck on diagnosing your pc,

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Stuck on diagnosing your pc

Stuck on diagnosing your pc: [IMG]HP Problem 440 G2 stuck on diagnosing your pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stuck-on-diagnosing-your-pc/b0c56656-3078-4ed3-8570-2a5b5ce8e11c
  8. Diagnosing your PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Diagnosing your PC: I turned on my pc and it went to repair the hard drive. Was expecting it to take a few minutes like normal but it kept diagnosing and repairing repeatedly. Stuck on a loop and can't get out of it. Can't use my computer or anything. all I can do is go into bios. submitted by...
  9. "Diagnosing your PC" on start-up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Diagnosing your PC" on start-up: When I was updating my Surface 3 tablet to Windows 10, the update stuck at 95%. I had to hard reboot that ends in a black screen and white "Surface" text. I also see the spinning dots with words "Diagnosing your PC"....
  10. "Diagnosing your PC" on start-up

"Diagnosing your PC" on start-up: I had a failed update to Windows 10 operating system recently on a Surface 3 tablet (the update got stuck at 99% for well over 24 hours). I did a hard reboot and now it gets hung-up with the black screen and white "Surface" text. Below this text is the spinning wheel and...