Windows 10: Dial-up error 633 w/build 15063 Pro

Discus and support Dial-up error 633 w/build 15063 Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dial up worked fine in 1607. With the update to Creators' build it now reports "error 633 - com port in use." The modem has always been on COM 3.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by borgus, Apr 5, 2017.

1. borgus Win User

Dial-up error 633 w/build 15063 Pro

Dial up worked fine in 1607. With the update to Creators' build it now reports "error 633 - com port in use."

The modem has always been on COM 3. Tried ports 5, 9, 11. Same. COM 1, the only port listed in Device Manager, is shown as "in use." Process Explorer shows no info when queried for "serial."

Searched, read and tested virtually every suggested fix...

Uninstalled and reinstalled dial-up connection
    Uninstalled modem (in Safe Mode), booted normally and updated modem driver
    Created a "reservedport" registry entry for port 1723
    Ran netstat -aon search for port 1723; it's not listed
    Disabled the broadband adapter temporarily and turned off the broadband modem temporarily

SFC /scannow shows no errors.
    There are no VPN connections on this PC.
    This isn't a modem fault; MS FAX works fine.

There was no DUN failure when 1511 O/S was updated to 1607. Yet, some months later, the 633 error appeared. An earlier 1607 image was restored and DUN was again functional.

Applied Creators' update to that earlier 1607 restore and over a 1511 restore. DUN had been functional on them all until this update broke it. Have others had the same experience? Is there a fix?

:)

borgus, Apr 5, 2017

2. dongle connectivity

Hi Mohd,

We are aware of an issue with modem connectivity and are working on releasing a solution in a future update. To help you resolve this concern, there is a work around given by Jestoni Mac on this link:

Dial-up error 633 w/build 15063 (1703 Creators) Pro
    . It was found helpful by 21 people and we hope you'll be one of them.

Let us know if you have further concerns.

Janeane Cru, Apr 5, 2017
  3. Venepor Win User
    Venepor, Apr 5, 2017
  4. BrettF Win User

Seeing exact same issue here in Canada with Alcatel USB data stick (error 633). All was fine until the CU (Creators Update). One has to think we got an issue here. If anyone finds a solution (other than a revert to previous build), I hope they post it.

BrettF, Apr 6, 2017
  5. borgus Win User
    This may indeed be an issue. Here is a response posted by a moderator of an MS Technet forum...

"Hi, Thanks for your discovery and studying.

I searched online and find out some others also meet with same issue, the error 633 just appears after upgrade to 1703 version.

I have submitted your discovery and this case to Microsoft product team via our internal feedback tool, let’s wait for update to fix this issue or deliver a workaround. For current situation, in order to continue working, please roll back to 1607 version."

Further, an MS 'answer desk' agent opined that build 15063 (1703) may be superseded by another that corrects the fault. A phone session is scheduled with higher level support shortly and the gist will be reported here.

As DUN and FAX are not priorities, be skeptical. An MS FAX failure persisted throughout the Win 8/8.1 cycle despite it being widely reported. The fix (a DLL) was posted to their own forums, yet the fault wasn't corrected until Win 10.

borgus, Apr 6, 2017
  6. BrettF Win User
    Yes, rolled back, working again. Though it's actually a friends laptop, I felt bad for "helping him upgrade" & the worse is that it is "Home" edition so it can not be set to defer the upgrade, so it just may upgrade and break again.

BrettF, Apr 7, 2017
  7. borgus Win User
    MS Level II support made the following suggestions on 4/8/17 and promised that the issue would be kicked up the chain...
    1. Contact ISP for latest driver
    2. Visit network adapter manufacturer WEB site for latest driver
    3. Wait a few weeks for a new build and/or patch

A 4/12/17 phone discussion with MS pegs this as a manufacturer's driver issue, not under Microsoft's control. Precisely whose or which driver is unknown.

borgus, Apr 7, 2017
  8. borgus Win User

If what the MS tech stated to me was valid, that is the case. However, he said that the auto-update process either was not in effect - or could be overridden - in version 1511. So that may be the answer for your friend.

borgus, Apr 12, 2017
  9. alshoukry Win User
    Hello! guys,I have had the same problem after i am updating to Creators Update , and I have already done all the steps that Borgus advised successfully , but problem not fixed! ,What next step are you recommending me ?!

alshoukry, Apr 26, 2017
  10. borgus Win User
    borgus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Dial-up error 633 w/build 15063 Pro - Similar Threads - Dial error 633

2. Error 678 with dial-up connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error 678 with dial-up connection: Hi, I am trying to get a new HP computer to connect to the internet with dial-up. There is no other connection option, It is a remote site, there is no wireless, cell-phone, ADSL, VDSL. I set up the dial-up connection but get Error 678. I have tried an older computer running...
  3. Windows Automatic Updates - stuck on Build 15063

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Automatic Updates - stuck on Build 15063: Every few months my Toshiba Satellite L870-14X laptop fails to update. I leave it to run all night (usually for 10 hours), restart it a few times and then it "reverts back to previous build". Should I be concerned? The main issue is the the laptop is out of action for so...
  4. Dial Up Networking

Dial Up Networking: I desperately need your help. I am trying to get my Mom connected to the internet using a data/fax modem There is no cable TV or Internet connection availble in her home. She has been using a Dial Up connection to Earthlink and used email to keep in touch with family out of...
  5. Aeroglass now released for build 15063

in Windows 10 Customization
    Aeroglass now released for build 15063: A trial version's been out for quite a while, but now there's an official release. Aero Glass for Win8+ It's taken a long time, and soon we'll have the Fall/Autumn upgrade... which probably means a few more months delay. But if you want [img] [img] (just look...
  6. 15063 Creators Build multiple driver issues

15063 Creators Build multiple driver issues: Acer Aspire 9410Z Intel duel core 1.73 gHz, 2 gb memory, 500 HD, 32 bit system. I have the newest bios that Acer offers for it, and chipset. on Insider slow ring. This old laptop runs great, until 15063 build. Once updated I have no internet, wifi or ethernet. I go to...
  7. Balky Edge browser on Win 10 X64 Pro build 15063

in Browsers and Email
    Balky Edge browser on Win 10 X64 Pro build 15063: If I allow Edge to sit idle for a minute or so, it becomes sluggish or unresponsive. The only extension that I have installed is AdBlock. Has anyone else seen this behavior? Are there any fixes or work-around available? 80422
  8. Version 1703 Build 15063 removes programs?

Version 1703 Build 15063 removes programs?: After updating to version 1703, I noticed that programs were missing. I had previously installed the Win7Games4Win10, which brings back the old Solitaire, Freecell, etc. After the update they were completely gone. Is this something that occurs with the update, or just a...
  9. Dial up connection error 608

Dial up connection error 608: Ever since upgrading to Win 10 the dial up function hangs after the far end answers. When I try to look at the Security properties of the connection I get the 608 error code. My modem is Win 10 compatible and works fine on another communications program. I realize nobody uses...
  10. Error message 0x8007000B on build 15063 rs2

in Windows 10 Support
    Error message 0x8007000B on build 15063 rs2: [img] This message keeps popping up from time to time. Any idea what this is? 85737