Windows 10: Did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new SSD, no activation

Discus and support Did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new SSD, no activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8, and I no longer have the key for 7. From Windows 8.1 I upgraded to 10. Recently got an SSD, wanted to do a fresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Elk, Jan 10, 2016.

1. ELK
    Elk Win User

Did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new SSD, no activation

I upgraded from Windows 7 to 8, and I no longer have the key for 7. From Windows 8.1 I upgraded to 10. Recently got an SSD, wanted to do a fresh install on it. Used media creation tool to make a USB copy. Booted from USB, formatted old hard drive, and loaded Windows onto new SSD. I picked activate later as the product ID i wrote down did not seem to work; and assumed it would auto activate.

Well, now Windows is not activating, and I still cannot enter the Product ID, I assumed that would be the "key".

Is there anything I can do at this point? Or am I just screwed and have to buy a Windows 10 license?

...I knew I should have just cloned.

:)

2. pctv.man Win User

Fresh install of Win10 to a new SSD after I already Upgraded to Win10 on an iffy HDD.

This post from Dell had a detailed step by step for Dell computers, helped me figure out my mistake. If I had followed the posts on this thread more closely, I would have been okay!

If you managed to previously activate Windows 10. Follow the instructions here to download the .iso:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

Then follow the instructions here to install from the .iso:

Windows 10 Version 1507: Clean Reinstallation via Bootable USB from .iso

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

Did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new SSD, no activation [​IMG]

pctv.man, Jan 10, 2016
  3. Alan B Win User
    Fresh install of Win10 to a new SSD after I already Upgraded to Win10 on an iffy HDD.

First check that your copy of Windows 10 has activated. Then just install the new SSD in place of the old hard drive, boot from the Windows 10 media you made and skip when asked for the product key. When Windows 10 is loaded it will recognise your old
    hardware (motherboard) and activate automatically.

Alan B, Jan 10, 2016
  4. ELK
    Elk Win User

Found a Windows 8 key in an email from the upgrade, and it accepted that. Please lock thread.

Thema:

1. Did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new SSD, no activation - Similar Threads - Did fresh install

2. Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.: Hello!I have wanted to move my boot drive from a SATA SSD to a new M.2 NVME SSD I got for my custom desktop, and I've been unable to successfully boot Windows from that drive after installing windows 10 pro onto the new drive. I've successfully done the following:- I've...
  3. Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.: Hello!I have wanted to move my boot drive from a SATA SSD to a new M.2 NVME SSD I got for my custom desktop, and I've been unable to successfully boot Windows from that drive after installing windows 10 pro onto the new drive. I've successfully done the following:- I've...
  4. Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Fresh Install of Windows 11 on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh Install of Windows 11 on a new SSD: I'm in the middle of updating some hardware on my pc, and after installing windows on my new ssd, i cant seem to use windows 11 pro anymore. so i need to deactivate it on my old boot drive to use it?...
  6. Fresh Install of Windows 11 on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Install of Windows 11 on a new SSD: I'm in the middle of updating some hardware on my pc, and after installing windows on my new ssd, i cant seem to use windows 11 pro anymore. so i need to deactivate it on my old boot drive to use it?...
  7. Preforming a fresh installation of windows on a new ssd

Preforming a fresh installation of windows on a new ssd: I would like to get an ssd to house my OS and keep my large files and games on my current hdd. Instead of cloning the hdd, as it would be larger than the ssd. I would like to just install windows on the new drive but then does having two drives with windows installed conflict...
  8. Activate Windows 10 fresh installation on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Windows 10 fresh installation on new SSD.: Hello all, I just added an SSD to my PC and I've done a fresh Windows 10 installation, but am confused as to how I activate the installation. I have a digital license, do I just transfer that to the fresh installation? If so, how? Thank you....
  9. Windows 10 OEM fresh install on SSD (new drive)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 OEM fresh install on SSD (new drive): hi, i need help on windows 10 OEM installation. So i bought SSD and want to install it on my laptop. i have the Windows 10 Home single language OEM key installed. the question is how can i install windows on the SSD with oem key? do i need the Windwos 10 Home Single language...
  10. Is it recommended to fresh install Windows 10 for a new SSD?

Is it recommended to fresh install Windows 10 for a new SSD?: Hi so for Christmas I had gotten a Crucial 525GB SSD drive and I'm happy about it. But I heard somewhere that its recommend to Install windows freshly on a new SSD rather than transfer your old info to it. Should I just install Windows 10 on my new SSD since I don't have too...