Windows 10: Did a registry fix for KB3081424 and now can't log-in to Windows 10

Discus and support Did a registry fix for KB3081424 and now can't log-in to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there, new member big problem. I recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro and things have been going very smoothly until I jumped the gun on something and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by stonecold, Aug 10, 2015.

1. stonecold Win User

Did a registry fix for KB3081424 and now can't log-in to Windows 10

Hi there, new member big problem.

I recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro and things have been going very smoothly until I jumped the gun on something and made a big mistake.

I have been using my Windows Live e-mail and password to log-in to Windows. I read an article this morning regarding an update which has been giving people issues (KB3081424) with a boot loop and offered a solution. I foolishly applied this solution before even installing the update and it has led to me being unable to log-in to Windows at all using my normal password. Article here.

I have tried:

Changing my password via accounts.live.com/password/reset. No dice.

Holding shift and restarting to access various recovery options. No good because they all ask for my now defunct password.

Using Hiren's Boot CD to try and change my password with ntpwedit. Didn't work. Still asks for password and it still doesn't work.

I am about out of ideas of what to try and it appears my deletion of the ProfileImagePath keys may have seriously mucked things up.

Can anybody help me out? I'm about at my wit's end.

- (feeling stupid) *cry

:)

stonecold, Aug 10, 2015

2. Win 10 reboots after sleep mode

After upgrading my Dell8700 XPS to win 10 successfully, Microsoft sent the cumulative update KB3081424 and since then my PC has rebooted consistently when it comes out of sleep mode. The temporary workaround was to remove the KB update and it now works properly
    with no reboots.

Reading posts about registry entries profile list being duplicated did not apply.

Any other ideas or wait for MS to correct KB3081424?

Thanks

Russ Morris

Russell Morris_574, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Dick 781 Win User
    Update won't install

Power was interrupted downloading KB3081424 update for Windows 10. Now it won't update but other updates will. How to fix? Need help. Thanks.

Dick 781, Aug 10, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Did you take an image or backup before you did that change(from that "article")?? If so you can just restore if not.. well you may have to go back to the original OS and upgrade again.

Hopefully others can help more..
    Note: Never take what Gordon Kelly says either serious or do what he recommends., He has no idea about what he's talking about, IMO.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 10, 2015
  5. stonecold Win User
    I didn't, no. But even if I did, it prompts me for a password if I want to load a restore point. Thanks for the reply though. It's such a silly thing I did since I did this for no good reason when I was half asleep before work this morning.

stonecold, Aug 10, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    These things happen,, next time before you make any changes to the registry.. back it up and back up your system. Problems happen to the best of us.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 10, 2015
  7. stonecold Win User
    Eh, I think I'm just going to reinstall Windows 7 Enterprise. Maybe I'll come back to 10 at a later time. At least I already had my important documents and files backed up!

stonecold, Aug 10, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

delete me, posted in wrong thread, sorry *Redface

WhyMe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Did a registry fix for KB3081424 and now can't log-in to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Did registry fix

2. Did a Win 10 re-instal, can't log in now,

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Did a Win 10 re-instal, can't log in now,: So did a Win 10 reinstal, came up on 'other user login' window, tried all the user/password I have and none worked, Now I fine there are no administrator accounts on the pc. How do I get in to my windows?...
  3. Recovery to try and fix an audio problem and now I can't log into Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recovery to try and fix an audio problem and now I can't log into Windows 10: I did a recovery per the website to try and fix an audio problem and now I can't log into Windows 10. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-to-try-and-fix-an-audio-problem-and-now-i/f3eec753-65c4-4240-98cc-66c634c7876e
  4. Windows update now can't log in

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows update now can't log in: My HP laptop Windows updated and now I can't sign in to Windows. I have two other computers I have used the password for my microsoft account?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-now-cant-log-in/8ab06b47-b5e6-4fb4-80d4-00a1e81a6dfe"
  5. Did a registry fix for KB3081424 and now can't log-in to Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Did a registry fix for KB3081424 and now can't log-in to Windows 10: Hi there, new member big problem. I recently upgraded to Win 10 Pro and things have been going very smoothly until I jumped the gun on something and made a big mistake. I have been using my Windows Live e-mail and password to log-in to Windows. I read an article this...
  6. (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081424) no

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    (Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081424) no: It is 2 days this try to install on Lenovo Z50 and it is not completed, when the computer restart for installing it is rollback the update, ((Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081424)), also Windows Defender update are making problems not installed...
  7. Unable to Install Update KB3074678 or KB3081424

Unable to Install Update KB3074678 or KB3081424: Hey There, As the title states for some reason whenever I attempt to install these updates they seemingly install just fine up until it says 100 percent complete, but then it tells me that it wasn't able to finish the install (or something along those lines) and then...
  8. Cumulative Update (KB3081424) won't show up in Windows Update

Cumulative Update (KB3081424) won't show up in Windows Update: I know that a lot of people have been having issues with this update, but I haven't even been able to get the update to appear in Windows Update, it's not in my Update History so im pretty sure it didn't install without me knowing, and when I check for updates I get "Your...
  9. KB3081424 resolves ethernet connectivty issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    KB3081424 resolves ethernet connectivty issues: As the title says. I just did the SR1 update and my Realtek PCIe controller is working again. Those of you with ethernet connectivity issues do the update reboot, reboot again and post your findings. 13174
  10. Cumulative Update KB3081424 for Windows 10 August 5th

in Windows 10 News
    Cumulative Update KB3081424 for Windows 10 August 5th: How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10 A restart will be required. [img] Note Cumulative Update for Windows 10: August 5, 2015 This update includes non–security-related changes to enhance the functionality of Windows 10 through new...
Tags: