Windows 10: Did clean install of Win 10 on SSD - Want to put Win 7 on hard drive

Discus and support Did clean install of Win 10 on SSD - Want to put Win 7 on hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I probably went about this backwards. I had Windows 7 installed on a 120GB SSD with my User files & some Program Files on a 1TB hard drive. I did a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Moolah, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Moolah Win User

Did clean install of Win 10 on SSD - Want to put Win 7 on hard drive

I probably went about this backwards. I had Windows 7 installed on a 120GB SSD with my User files & some Program Files on a 1TB hard drive. I did a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD last night. Now I have decided that I want to keep the Windows 7 OS also, but I am not sure what "dual boot" means or entails.

I am sure I will have to partition D drive to install Windows 7 on & I just noticed that my CD/DVD drive is not showing. I will need help with this also please.

And, what do I need to do to combine the User files for Windows 7 & 10 on the D drive, or is this even how to go about it?

I have attached my setup in Disk Management & my system info here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Q...vy5IOEIVsJcTne

:)

Moolah, Jul 16, 2016
  2. J__Gatsby Win User

Failed Windows 10 upgrades from Windows 8.1 Pro - Boot repair error 0xc000000f - Corrupt NTFS partition

Something is up with Windows 10 and SSD Hard drives\Dells, have 3 Latitudes all with SSD drives, all had same issue, able to resolve 2 of them, still working on 1 of them.

Solution,

Take out your SSD Hard Drive

Put in a Reg non SSD Hard Drive

Install Win 7 SP1 or Win 8

Download Windows Media tool\Win 10 ISO (Create USB or DVD)

Upgrade to Windows 10 using USB\ISO, when complete, make sure its Activated

Now, put back in your SSD Hard Drive, do a clean install using the USB\ISO

Boom, you're up and going, hasn't worked on 1/3 Dell notebooks, researching will post update.

J__Gatsby, Jul 16, 2016
  3. AlSotack Win User
    Al

Have a HTPC running win 7 home on a SSD and would like to upgrade to win 10.

I had no like with the same upgrade from 7 to 10 on this PC - got stuck in upgrade and would not roll back. I had to clean install win 7 on to a hard drive and rebuild the drive and the install upgrade.

So can I clone the SSD to a hard drive and upgrade it?

AlSotack, Jul 16, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

If you used that same W7 to upgrade to 10, than you don't have license to W7 any more. It's been "traded" so you can't legally use it any more.
    Otherwise it's not a problem. Best way is to temporarily disconnect SSD and install whatever OS you want on HDD. After that you can reinstall HDD and use program called EasyBCD on the SSD to set a menu from which you can choose which OS to BOOT from. There are other ways but this one is easiest and safest.

CountMike, Jul 16, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    To add a little bit to CountMike's post - after you install the second OS on the hard drive, and have both drives connected again, you want the SSD to be on the first SATA port and the hard drive to be on the second SATA port. Boot the computer from the SSD into Windows 10. Then you can either use EasyBCD to add a boot menu item for the Windows on hard drive.

Or

Windows 10 should assign a drive letter to the second Windows partition. Let's say it gets drive letter E:\. Right click on the start icon, select Command Prompt (Admin). In the command prompt window run:

BCDBOOT E:\Windows /d /addlast

The path in red will be the drive letter Windows 10 gives to the second OS partition and the Windows folder of that partition.

NavyLCDR, Jul 16, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    My two cents:
    I have no problems dual booting Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, using the W8.1 retail key for W8.1, (from whence I upgraded), while Windows 10 retains it's digital entitlement; on the same machine of course!
    Different machine would be a different story of course.
    Just sayin!

Edwin, Jul 16, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    The fact that you have no problems doing it does not change the fact that it violates the EULA in order to do it.

NavyLCDR, Jul 16, 2016
  8. Moolah Win User

Sorry for the delay. I have been away. If I understand correctly, I do not have to partition the hard drive for Windows 7. I have it on a flash drive. Do I run setup.exe or do I boot from flash drive? The SSD drive is on the first SATA port already & the hard drive on the second one.

Moolah, Jul 20, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you are wanting to clean install Windows 7 to the HDD, then you disconnect the SSD, and boot the computer from the Windows 7 USB flash drive. After Windows 7 is installed on the HDD, reconnect the SSD and boot the computer from it, run the BCDBOOT command to add the Windows 7 to the boot menu on the SSD.

NavyLCDR, Jul 21, 2016
  10. Superfly Win User
    LOL... he's just a bad boy, truth be told!.... but seriously, he was one one of the first to purchase one of the Win 10 USB's when it launched.

Superfly, Jul 21, 2016
  11. Samuria Win User
    The simple answer is to use Oracle VM VirtualBox its free and you dont need to mess with paritions and boot it just run as a virtual pc and you can run any other o/s like linux, win95 etc

Samuria, Jul 21, 2016
  12. Edwin New Member
    I only require an occasional spanking! *Wink

Edwin, Jul 21, 2016
  13. Moolah Win User

Where do I download Oracle VM VirtualBox to...the SSD or the hard drive?

Moolah, Aug 6, 2016
  14. Moolah Win User
    I installed Windows 7 on the hard drive after I disconnected the SSD. I just noticed that the drive letter for Windows 7 is C: - the same as my SSD Windows 10 OS. Now what?

Moolah, Aug 6, 2016
  15. lx07 Win User
    That is normal. When you boot Windows 7 it will assign C as the letter for the boot partition. Whatever system you are running gets assigned C.

You can carry on with what @NavyLCDR said in post 3 - plug in your SSD, boot into Windows 10 and run the bcdboot command. When you boot 10 it will assign C as the letter for the Windows 10 boot partition and it will assign some other letter for the Windows 7 one on the HDD. Most likely this will be E in which case:

You might want to rename the boot menu entries "Windows 7" and "Windows 10" for clarity (I can't remember the default names) but you can do that after if you want to - it isn't required.

Thema:

1. Did clean install of Win 10 on SSD - Want to put Win 7 on hard drive - Similar Threads - Did clean install

2. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  3. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  4. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Win 7 install after hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 install after hard drive: My Dell Desktop PC came with Win 10. I hate Win 10, Could not duel boot with Win 7 so I debaned HD and tried to install Win 7. Would not install. Kept getting notice “Setup does not support configuration of or installation top disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.”...
  6. Win 7 install after hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 install after hard drive: My Dell Desktop PC came with Win 10. I hate Win 10, Could not duel boot with Win 7 so I debaned HD and tried to install Win 7. Would not install. Kept getting notice “Setup does not support configuration of or installation top disks connected through a USB or IEEE 1394 port.”...
  7. Win 10 clean install on SSD

Win 10 clean install on SSD: I’m trying to install Win 10 Pro on a new SSD. I’m using a bootable USB created with the latest Rufus utility. I’ve gotten to several places in the install screen the everything goes black. So far, as far as the windows repair facility then stalled because it says I’m not an...
  8. Clean Install Win 7 HP with Win 10 Home

Clean Install Win 7 HP with Win 10 Home: Good afternoon, I gave my Sister a Win 7 HP SP1 [ Genuine ] Laptop a few years ago which she now doesn't use, and knowing my Sister, there will be a LOT of junk on there. I am getting it back at some stage over the next couple of weeks and I would ideally like to just Clean...
  9. Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install

Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install: I am running windows 7 and downloaded the free windows 10 upgrade back when Microsoft offered it and stored it on my drive. I installed it, registered, then reverted to 7. Now as I understand it, this install file is an upgrade version to be put on over windows 7. But what...
  10. Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 installed on separate hard drive changes win 7: I installed Windows 10 on a separate hard drive in my computer to keep from messing up my Windows 7 installation. It appears windows 10 still makes changes to windows 7 even on a separate hard drive. See attached picture. I can not correct this using the system repair disk or...