Windows 10: Did I screw up the USER folder(s) in new 10 Clean Install

Discus and support Did I screw up the USER folder(s) in new 10 Clean Install in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Did a very smooth clean install of Win 10 Pro 32 bit thanks to Brinks tutorial(s). However...may have screwed it up a bit. I backed up all user... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by trinaz, Dec 27, 2015.

1. trinaz Win User

Did I screw up the USER folder(s) in new 10 Clean Install

Did a very smooth clean install of Win 10 Pro 32 bit thanks to Brinks tutorial(s). However...may have screwed it up a bit.

I backed up all user files/downloads/documents etc on the old Win 7 so I wouldn't loose anything that I needed to move to the new Win 10 install. However...even tho I backed up separate folders...I also backed up the W7 User folder.

Yep...I copied the Win 7 user folder to the new Win 10....so far I don't see any issues but was this a fatal mistake and should I do anything now to try and fix it.

Biggest glaring issue is I have 2 main user folders..."MaryAnn: which was the Win 7 user folder...and the new Win 10 user folder "pinky"...but they are the same actual user.

What's the best way to merge these two user folders into one (I assume the installed Win 10 user)....and what should I either NOT do and/or DO do to avoid any issues from here on ?

Thanks....TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Dec 27, 2015

2. downloaded 10 lost everything

Is the new WIndows 10 install up and running? If not would you please tell us what you have now?

If Windows 10 was installed then unless you did a Custom Clean Install deleting all partitions, the old install is archived in a C:\Windows.old folder, so browse in there now to find your User account and files. You can then copy them into the new install's
    corresponding folders.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Dec 27, 2015
  3. Sodie77 Win User
    Why did the windows 10 update screw up maximized video playback?

No recent changes other than the Windows update. I haven't installed any new programs in recent months.

I've checked the Device Manager, no new software updates and no problems detected.

So far, I've only been web browsing and occasionally watching videos on Firefox and Google chrome. Nothing else on in the background

No error messages, just the toolbar becomes non-responsive sometimes.

Computer is an ASUS with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 graphics card

I never had this problem before the most recent Win 10 update.

Sodie77, Dec 27, 2015
Thema:

Did I screw up the USER folder(s) in new 10 Clean Install

1. Did I screw up the USER folder(s) in new 10 Clean Install - Similar Threads - Did screw USER

2. User name change screw up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    User name change screw up: Hallo, I kept noticing my pc had like "Sebas"the display name like when you open cmd prompt without administrator, I tried to change thatand I didn't really like being called that name so I tried to change it but it just screwed up my entire pc what I did to try and change...
  3. I screwed up.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I screwed up.: While trying to organize my hard drive partitions I converted my C: Drive into a dynamic disk. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to convert it back to a basic disk. the good news is that it is a relatively new system, so it doesn’t matter to me if I lose files in...
  4. Two Users' Folders On new Install

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Two Users' Folders On new Install: So I just installed Windows 10 on a brand new NUC. Installation went flawlessly and the machine runs great. After the installation I noticed that the computer name was my email address. I didn't like that name so I changed the name of the computer but now I have 2 users...
  5. User Account got screwed up...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account got screwed up...: So I got curious on how to set up privileges on Windows 10 to my current account and I followed the steps, I really don't know what's gonna happen so I just started to do so, at cmd net user active:yes and created a Guest account. I switched it to guest account and while the...
  6. Update(s) did not install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Update(s) did not install: My computer rebooted and I got the message that it was installing updates. However, when it finally came back online, I checked my update history and the message was "Update Failed To Install". There were 4, but they all said the same thing. "SECURITY UPDATE FOR INTERNET...
  7. Just did a clean install of Windows 10....

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Just did a clean install of Windows 10....: Hey guys, I have a 128gb SSD that I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro on and now my second hard drive my 2TB drive is not giving me permissions to move or view any of my files on this hard drive. Is there a quick and easy way to give my computer access to these files...
  8. Did I really clean install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Did I really clean install?: Hi, I just noticed I may have not perform a real clean installation: I created a bootable USB stick using Rufus, which wasn't detected by my BIOS, so inside Windows I simply plugged the USB stick, double-clicked on the drive under "This PC" and clicked on setup.exe that...
  9. Changed user folder name on clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changed user folder name on clean install: Hi Has anyone else had the clean option, drop the last character of their user folder during the install? Example, my user folder was called Julian on 8.1 Therefore c:\Users\Julian\Desktop blah blah blah.... Well now its c:\users\julia\xxxxxxx Somewhat annoying......
  10. win 10 screwed up my photos folder's

in Windows 10 Support
    win 10 screwed up my photos folder's: before win 10 I had my photos (1000s ) all arranged in my picture (win 7 ) had em all catalogued and so forth now win 10 in is infinite wisdom put them in folders according to date , beginning with the date I upgraded to win 10 any suggestions on how to unscrew them up ?...