Windows 10: Did the default Hibernate file size change for Win 10 ?

Discus and support Did the default Hibernate file size change for Win 10 ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Win 7 the default hibernate file size is 75% of RAM. I have 6 GB RAM, dual boot Win7-x64 and Win10-x64. 6 GB RAM shows as installed in both OS's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DavidE, Aug 25, 2015.

1. DavidE Win User

Did the default Hibernate file size change for Win 10 ?

In Win 7 the default hibernate file size is 75% of RAM.
    I have 6 GB RAM, dual boot Win7-x64 and Win10-x64.
    6 GB RAM shows as installed in both OS's (it's not a hardware reserved issue).

Win10 set the hiberfil.sys to 2.39 GB.
    Win7 set the hiberfil.sys to 4.49 GB.

Is this as expected, or do i have an issue ?

:)

DavidE, Aug 25, 2015
  2. WGB62 Win User

Win 10 reboots after sleep mode

I tried many things for my windows 10 (fully updated) sleep mode restart (reboot)-on-wake-up problem. In the end, it was a simple fix with the
    size of the hibernate file. My default size of the hibernate file was 13GB and I only had 9GB free on my C drive. So I decreased the file size to 50% of the default. To do so I used the CMD app (as administrator), typing in this command first:

-C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -h on (if your hibernate is already ON, this is unnecessary; I had turned mine off in troubleshooting, so I needed to first turn it back on), then and this is the key step:

-C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /h /type reduced

Now the hibernate file size is at 50% of default size, ~6.5GB, and fits my C drive fine and sleep mode doesnt crash when I wake my pc!

WGB62, Aug 25, 2015
  3. about C:/drive space

As SD2 suggests tree size will tell you what is using the space. A clean install of win 10 uses about 20 Gb so the rest was installed by you. Add to that the fact that the HD is smallish to begin with.

I suspect you also have a page file whose size equals the amount of ram you have in the computer and a hibernation file which also is equal to the amount of ram. If you have 8gb ram you have 16 gb being used by the page file and hibernation file.

If you dont use hibernation you can remove the hiberfil.sys file by typing powercfg -h. You can also reduce the page file size in the system control panel

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 25, 2015
  4. Did the default Hibernate file size change for Win 10 ?

It is normal. You can adjust the size of the hibernation file in the command prompt.

Code: POWERCFG /HIBERNATE <ON|OFF> POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /SIZE <PERCENT_SIZE> POWERCFG /HIBERNATE /TYPE <REDUCED|FULL> Alias: POWERCFG /H Description: Enables/disables the hibernate feature or sets the hiberfile size. Parameter List: <ON|OFF> Enables/disables the hibernate feature. /SIZE <PERCENT_SIZE> Specifies the desired hiberfile size as a percentage of the total memory size. The default size cannot be smaller than 40. This parameter will also cause hibernate to be enabled. /TYPE <REDUCED|FULL> Specifies the desired hiberfile type. A reduced hiberfile only supports hiberboot.[/quote]

logicearth, Aug 25, 2015
  5. DavidE Win User
    OK, thanks for the help !

DavidE, Aug 25, 2015
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    You can set the size of the hibernation file to less than 75% of RAM size but there are dangers. When going into hibernation the contents of RAM are copied to hibefil.sys and copied back when coming out of hibernation. Compression is used in the process but there is no way of knowing ahead of time how much space it wil save. If the size of hiberfil.sys is too small hibernation will fail.

I wouldn't go lower than 75% unless disk space is a real problem.

LMiller7, Aug 25, 2015
  7. DavidE Win User
    Thanks for the advice and info. +1

I just wondered if the default size changed in Win 10, or I had an issue and should start with another clean install of W10.
    I like to fix things sooner rather than later.
    Disk space isn't a problem.
    I've been using Sleep and Hibernate reliably for many years with W7 and W8.x.
    It's just my preference to let my PC's auto (or manual) Sleep/Hibernate rather than power off.

So far W10 Sleep (Hybrid) works reliably for me.
    I haven't turned off the power while sleeping to make sure hybrid sleep/hibernate resumes reliably (yet).
    I don't know why MS changed the default size and what else might have changed, but i want to play around with this when i have time.

imho,
    There should be a warning when a user hibernates a PC and there is not enough space in the hiberfil file to successfully restore the session.
    I know W7 doesn't do that, so i want to test the "new W10 hibernate logic" to see what happens.
    For me, it would be nice if it automatically increased the size as needed (space permitting), but i won't hold my breath on that.

DavidE, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Did the default Hibernate file size change for Win 10 ?

1. Did the default Hibernate file size change for Win 10 ? - Similar Threads - Did default Hibernate

2. Change default window size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default window size: I would like Windows Media Player on Windows 10 to reopen with the same window size it was closed. Currently Windows Media Player always opens with the window size almost maximised fullscreen but not quite, a few millimetres smaller than the screen. This is despite me...
  3. Change Default Text Size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change Default Text Size in Windows 10: When setting up Windows 10, there is a part where you select the default font size. I made a mistake and set it to "11" rather than the standard "12". I would like to change that setting but am unable to find out where to do that....
  4. Is Win 10 Pro hibernation off (disabled...), by default?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is Win 10 Pro hibernation off (disabled...), by default?: SSD Master & slave drives. Set to Performance, with hibernation/never, and hard drive always on in Advanced. APC UPS USB plugged in, but software not installed (shows on taskbar, with hibernation/never in settings, Sleep after 5min when on battery only). Do I need to disable...
  5. How do I change size of photo files, Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change size of photo files, Win 10: I have photos in JPG and PDF, Most are 1.5 - 3MB. I'd like to store copies of many of these in a smaller size optimized for text messages. How can I reduce the size of selected photos? DW...
  6. change size of fixed size windows in Win PE?

in Windows 10 Support
    change size of fixed size windows in Win PE?: Is it possible to resize windows that are fixed size, in Windows PE? I am trying to use recovery media from a backup program to restore my laptop. The backup program creates the recovery media using the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit. That process worked fine, but...
  7. Change default font size in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default font size in Windows 10: How do I change the font size in Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/change-default-font-size-in-windows-10/e644cabf-1c1a-40b4-8c7a-dadc6abe5595
  8. Change default font size in Mail

in Browsers and Email
    Change default font size in Mail: May have been asked before..but any solution? Thanks 94510
  9. Win 10 Mail..How to change Default font and size?.....and more

in Browsers and Email
    Win 10 Mail..How to change Default font and size?.....and more: I can easily change the size and font but can't find how to set it as the new Default setting. Can it be done? Using Mail for Win 10 for first time, as that is what appeared for my Outlook email account. I found today that when using either CC or BCC a 'Return' occurs...
  10. Changing the default paper size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing the default paper size: How do you change the default paper size from letter to A4. ALL the paper I buy in the UK is A4 and the letter size, although only slightly out, throws out my formatting, particularly when I do a mail merge or print a document with a header or footer. Again, Help. 56550