Windows 10: Diff between Hyper-V Home and Pro guest logins using PIN?

Discus and support Diff between Hyper-V Home and Pro guest logins using PIN? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Although both Windows 10 Home and Pro support use of a PIN for login on devices, that does not appear to be the case when using Hyper-V virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Cbarnhorst, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Diff between Hyper-V Home and Pro guest logins using PIN?

Although both Windows 10 Home and Pro support use of a PIN for login on devices, that does not appear to be the case when using Hyper-V virtual machines.

I have three W10 Home x64 virtual machines and five W10 Pro x64 virtual machines spread across two hosts.

I use PINs to log in to all three of the W10 Home vms, but the option to use a PIN is not even present in any of the five W10 Pro virtual machines.

Is a PIN incompatible with remote desktop connections or something that Pro supports and Home doesn't?

What gives?

:)

Cbarnhorst, Apr 19, 2017
  2. shadowynd Win User

Hyper-V on Windows Home Edition?

In my "Services (Local)", the following are listed:

Hyper-V Data Exchange Service

Hyper-V Guest Service Interface

Hyper-V Guest Shutdown Service

Hyper-V Heartbeat Service

Hyper-V Remote Desktop Virtualization Service

Hyper-V Time Synchronization Service

Hyper-V VM Session Service

Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requestor

Since Hyper V isn't supposed to be on Windows 10 Home, I'm wondering what's going on and why it is in my Services. Are there any other services which would appear in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise or Education that shouldn't appear in Windows 10 Home Services?

Thanks!

shadowynd, Apr 19, 2017
  3. s.kongrath, Apr 19, 2017
  4. Mystere Win User

Diff between Hyper-V Home and Pro guest logins using PIN?

I just happened to have installed a Hyper-V instance of Win10 Pro CU and was given the option to create a pin (which I declined), so it seems to be offered on Hyper-v.

Mystere, Apr 19, 2017
  5. Please see if you have an option for a PIN in Accounts/Login Options. The option remains in Home but not in Pro on my Hyper-V instances of Pro.

Cbarnhorst, Apr 19, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    Of course PIN is working on Hyper-V guests running any edition of Windows 10 in normal mode. However, PIN sign-in is not available in Enhanced Session Mode (ESM) which is based on Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) which requires a password sign-in disabling PIN.

When you run a a guest VM and click Connect when ESM prompt is shown you will be connected to VM using ESM:

Diff between Hyper-V Home and Pro guest logins using PIN? [​IMG]

If you decide to save connection settings, EMS will be be default connection to that VM and this prompt will no longer be shown but instead you will always be connected using ESM:

Now when VM is connected in ESM, PIN will be disabled and sign in screen does not even show the Sign-in options link under the password field:

(Click screenshots to enlarge.)

In ESM you cannot set / remove / change PIN because it is completely disabled, therefore PIN options are not even shown in Settings:

Simply unselecting ESM from View menu enables PIN again, Sign-in options link again visible:

And PIN, once again enabled, will be shown in Settings:

Enhanced Session Mode is available on all guests running any edition of Windows 8 or later when guest is a Generation 2 virtual machine, and in Windows 8 / 8.1 PRO and Enterprise as well as Windows 10 PRO, Education and Enterprise editions on Generation 1 virtual machines.

Short: judging by your original post I think your Home edition guests are Generation 1 virtual machines and therefore the ESM connection prompt is not shown as Generation 1 VM running Home edition does not support it. Because ESM is supported by PRO guests regardless of their generation, you will be connected using ESM thus having yourself selected to disable PIN login.

To connect in normal mode just close the EMS prompt when it's shown. If you want to you can completely disable EMS in Hyper-V settings:

7. Thanks for the great reply! By the way, the Home guests are Generation 2. ESM is disabled for Home guests. IIRC, Home doesn't have RDP.

Cbarnhorst, Apr 19, 2017
  8. Diff between Hyper-V Home and Pro guest logins using PIN?

You rock. Thanks!

Boomalator, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Diff between Hyper-V Home and Pro guest logins using PIN?

1. Diff between Hyper-V Home and Pro guest logins using PIN? - Similar Threads - Diff between Hyper

2. Credential Guard ON but not working in Hyper V guest.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Credential Guard ON but not working in Hyper V guest.: I am running a Windows Server 2022 Standard Edition Eval Build 20348 in Hyper V on a Windows 11 22H2 host machine. Even after enabling Credential Guard, I can see the NTLM hash. What am I doing wrong?The following is the screenshot from System InformationFrom Device...
  3. Credential Guard ON but not working in Hyper V guest.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Credential Guard ON but not working in Hyper V guest.: I am running a Windows Server 2022 Standard Edition Eval Build 20348 in Hyper V on a Windows 11 22H2 host machine. Even after enabling Credential Guard, I can see the NTLM hash. What am I doing wrong?The following is the screenshot from System InformationFrom Device...
  4. Hyper V Dedicated Network Traffic for Hyper V Replication between two Hyper V Server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper V Dedicated Network Traffic for Hyper V Replication between two Hyper V Server: Hi AllI have a problem on the Hyper V of replication traffic. I search many KB or the articles in the internet and there are no official information on how to isolate the Hyper V replication traffic Does it anyone know how to configure it for the Hyper V Server 2012R2 and...
  5. Hyper V Dedicated Network Traffic for Hyper V Replication between two Hyper V Server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper V Dedicated Network Traffic for Hyper V Replication between two Hyper V Server: Hi AllI have a problem on the Hyper V of replication traffic. I search many KB or the articles in the internet and there are no official information on how to isolate the Hyper V replication traffic Does it anyone know how to configure it for the Hyper V Server 2012R2 and...
  6. Clipboard between host and Hyper-V guest not working

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Clipboard between host and Hyper-V guest not working: I enabled Hyper-V and installed Windows XP (for very old apps). Everything seemed to be fine until I realize that I cannot transfer files between the host and the guest using clipboard! Any idea? Thanks! 169021
  7. Hyper-V and Windows 10 Guest speed

Hyper-V and Windows 10 Guest speed: What are the best memory settings for a Windows 10 Guest on Hyper-V? 16 Gb of physical memory 127556
  8. No full screen console in Windows XP running as Hyper-V guest

No full screen console in Windows XP running as Hyper-V guest: I have an old DOS program that runs fine in a console window under native Windows XP. I've setup a shortcut on the XP machines and selected full screen. When the application runs it opens full screen. On a Windows 10 with a Hyper-V instance of Windows XP the application is...
  9. Hyper-V unable to configure network for guest OS - no network

Hyper-V unable to configure network for guest OS - no network: I am running Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro and trying to install CentOS 6 on a VM. I define an external virtual switch, create a VM, specifying the use of the external virtual switch. I have 2 NICs on the host system, both with network access and internet access. The external...
  10. Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX.

Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX.: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro (10240) and have a guest Windows 10 VM (10528) which were working fine. Both were activated and connected to internet correctly. Today I booted the VM as native boot VHDX. This installed some drivers, connected to internet and...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper-v guest prompts for password not PIN