Windows 10: Difference between clean install and upgrade (files only)?

Discus and support Difference between clean install and upgrade (files only)? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just a curiosity of mine - Is there a difference between a clean install and performing an upgrade while keeping only the files? In other words, is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by floepie05, Aug 2, 2015.

1. floepie05 Win User

Difference between clean install and upgrade (files only)?

Just a curiosity of mine - Is there a difference between a clean install and performing an upgrade while keeping only the files? In other words, is this sort of upgrade the same as a clean install, only with the files restored to 'documents', desktop, etc.? Or, does the new windows folder contain remnants of the previous install.

:)

floepie05, Aug 2, 2015

2. Difference between "A clean install" and "A cutom install"

Hi friend! Thanks for your reply. Andre Da Costa is one of my hero's and I have read all his wiki links. I have not needed to try a clean install, but I may in the future. My Toshiba laptop is running like a well oiled machine. I'm a fearless PC user because
    I have a Macrium Reflect image ready to reinstall my OS in 20 minutes. You are appreciated!

Regards.

PS Would you please look into why the forum is slow to post replies? This is very annoying!

Thank you!

!

garybear89, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Difference between "A clean install" and "A cutom install"

OK Thanks Andre! Does it make any difference if you use the MCT in side of windows (Using Set up) or if you boot into the MCT (Using Clean install). Won't you still have the same options to chose?

What is different with the a-in-place-repair and the above options?

Thanks for your reply friend! You are appreciated!

Gary!

garybear89, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Difference between clean install and upgrade (files only)?

Hi,
    Unless I am totally wrong, an upgrade keeps a copy of previous settings so you can revert back to previous version if you wish (windows.old keeps previous settings)

clean install wipes everything except what you ask it to keep

paulsalter, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

Difference between clean install and upgrade (files only)?

1. Difference between clean install and upgrade (files only)? - Similar Threads - Difference between clean

2. Windows 11 Upgrade vs Clean Install: Here’s the Difference

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Upgrade vs Clean Install: Here’s the Difference: You must have heard people talking about a Windows 11 upgrade and clean installation. If you don't know the difference, this article is for you before you install Windows. We will explain the difference between an upgrade and a clean installation so you can choose right....
  3. Is there any difference between updating Windows and Clean install?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is there any difference between updating Windows and Clean install?: I just bought Windows 10 and have not used a Windows OS since the XP days. I remember people always saying that upgrading Windows is worse than a clean install so the recommendation was to buy the full version and do a format. So now that Windows does major releases through...
  4. Differences between MS upgrading tools?

Differences between MS upgrading tools?: This is a desktop installation. Currently, release 1903 18632.535 build is installed and want to upgrade to 1909, but retain the installed software. MS offered two tools, which I downloaded MediaCreationTool1909.exe (18mb) and Windows10Upgrade9252.exe (6mb ) to the Desktop....
  5. The difference between Temporary files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The difference between Temporary files: Hello, Temporary Files recognized that C drive has 1.05 GB files. When I'm going to delete these files, Show these files are only 150MB. [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  6. Upgrade or clean install

Upgrade or clean install: Hello everyone. What's preferable, an upgrade or a clean install? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-or-clean-install/01e13cd7-40ce-47ce-bd1a-e92de4b77f7c
  7. Clean install with different language

Clean install with different language: Hello Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 Home Single language but in a different language? I have a laptop in Spanish and it is Single language but I want to do a clean install in English. Will I loose my digital licence? Thank you....
  8. Any difference between These Upgrades of OS?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Any difference between These Upgrades of OS?: When I got the update for my Windows 10 Pro 10240 build 10240, the update were mentioned as Wondows 10 Pro 1511 build 10586. But when the updates were downloaded and installed, I looked into system information which mentioned as Windows 10 Pro 10586 build 10586. Are these...
  9. Difference between clean USB boot & executing setup.exe file?

Difference between clean USB boot & executing setup.exe file?: I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 ultrabook. I have made a bootable Windows 8.1 USB flash drive. I would like to know what is the difference between an installation from the 'setup.exe' file in the USB drive's folder, & a regular clean boot from the flash drive? Thanks for any...
  10. Unable to clean install, only upgrade

Unable to clean install, only upgrade: I have a feeling this is bios/uefi related Got a sabertooth z77 with two ssd on raid 0 (intel) another hard drive for backups (Regular sata) and another storage card (pciexpress sas highpoint 2720, with raid 5) Windows 10 doesnt seem to like this. Even booting the dvd...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. difference between clean installation and upgrade