Windows 10: Difference between clean USB boot & executing setup.exe file?

Discus and support Difference between clean USB boot & executing setup.exe file? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 ultrabook. I have made a bootable Windows 8.1 USB flash drive. I would like to know what is the difference between an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by robinpe, Jul 30, 2016.

1. robinpe Win User

Difference between clean USB boot & executing setup.exe file?

I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 ultrabook. I have made a bootable Windows 8.1 USB flash drive. I would like to know what is the difference between an installation from the 'setup.exe' file in the USB drive's folder, & a regular clean boot from the flash drive? Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

robinpe, Jul 30, 2016

2. Difference between ways of reinstalling Windows?

What's the difference between reinstalling Windows using a bootable USB drive and reinstalling by double clicking setup.exe in the ISO file?

(I am trying to install Windows 8 over 10)

CharmWolf30382, Jul 30, 2016
  3. jezfed Win User
    Windows 10 1511 Update Disables Windows Defender?

Thanks for the help,

I've downloaded the MediaCreationTool and executed it. It downloaded the Windows 10 files to a USB thumb drive. However, there's also a link above to create a Windows 10 manual upgrade disk. So that I'm clear, which would you like me to use? I'm not
    able to set my boot source to a USB port in my computer's bios.

Since I have the USB drive ready to go, can I just execute the setup.exe from the thumb drive?

jezfed, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Booting the computer with USB or DVD install media will perform a so called clean install. You have to then reinstall all your software, Windows will be as if it was first time ever you have started that PC, new and fresh. If the computer already contained an older Windows installation, its files will be moved to folder Windows.old, you can then copy your personal files and folders from there to your new user folders.

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Starting the setup from existing installation by launching the setup.exe from USB or DVD install media performs an in-place upgrade installation. All your installed software will be kept, as well as your personal files, and Windows will be upgraded.

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

When the version of Windows on USB / DVD is the same you have already installed and installation is started by launching setup.exe from USB / DVD, it's called a repair installation which is used to fix various Windows issues; all your data and software will remain intact but Windows system files will be overwritten.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

5. NavyLCDR New Member
    In addition to Kari's explanation - since you mention that it is a Windows 8.1 USB flash drive you have created:
    You can only upgrade the existing version of Windows you have installed to the same version or higher by running setup.exe from the flash drive. You cannot downgrade.

To downgrade, say from Windows 10 to 8.1, you have to boot from the USB flash drive and do a clean install.

NavyLCDR, Jul 30, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Important information which I totally forgot to mention. Thanks.

7. robinpe Win User
    I've been away for a while, I'm posting just to say thank you Kari & NavyLCDR. Everything worked out fine & I have both W.8.1 & W.10 on my laptop & Ultrabook.

robinpe, Aug 18, 2016
  8. kamalaggi Win User

Also if you execute setup.exe it will download any windows updates beforehand and install them while installing windows

kamalaggi, Aug 18, 2016
  9. Kari Win User
    Only if user selects to download updates:

Difference between clean USB boot & executing setup.exe file? [​IMG]

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Difference between clean USB boot & executing setup.exe file? - Similar Threads - Difference between clean

2. Auto-Execute EXE When USB Plugged In

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Auto-Execute EXE When USB Plugged In: Is there any way to auto-execute an exe program without using any 3rd party software?I want to execute a Software when a USB device is plugged in.As soon as I plugin the USB the exe should execute and will show a Welcome Screen GUI.The application is developed in .NET Core...
  3. Some (not all) setup EXE files do not execute.

in Windows 10 Support
    Some (not all) setup EXE files do not execute.: Many recent EXE application set up files will not run. This presumably started a few days ago, but I then thought it was confined to just one setup EXE (Ultimaker_Cura-4.10.0-amd64.exe). This morning I discovered it's many (but NOT all) of them. The inactive ones seem to be...
  4. Difference between installing windows 10 with USB and with setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Difference between installing windows 10 with USB and with setup: Hello, what's the difference between installing windows 10 with USB and with setup file ? can i format drives when i don't use USB flash drive? submitted by /u/shakoc [link] [comments]...
  5. Error executing exe file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error executing exe file: Every time I try to download something by running an exe file, the computer keeps rebooting. It always reboot during download after running exe file. What should i do fix the problem? Pls help me.. submitted by /u/gevatte [link] [comments]...
  6. What is the difference between vc_redist.x64.exe and vcredist_x64.exe?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the difference between vc_redist.x64.exe and vcredist_x64.exe?: I was just looking for the redistributable installer in my VS2019 folders and was surprised to find what appears to be two copies of each version, but with different names. I assume that one of the two is preferred and that there is some purpose to this, but on line searches...
  7. Clean an exe file, MicrosoftSecurityEssentials

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Clean an exe file, MicrosoftSecurityEssentials: Is is possible to force MSE to attempt cleaning of a file & not delete / quarantine. or is it already try to clean ? & takes next step. ? I have a win32 exe file I know works ok (used on offline test machine then restore image) but I cannot find a good copy of the...
  8. RUN won't 'execute' EXE files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    RUN won't 'execute' EXE files: Since 1803 was loaded on 3 of my Dell laptops (various models) I've discovered that the RUN function (under Windows Start Button) won't "run" an EXE file that is located in my download folder. Same response on 3 different laptops. I have a history of the APP for these EXEs...
  9. Difference between clean install and upgrade (files only)?

Difference between clean install and upgrade (files only)?: Just a curiosity of mine - Is there a difference between a clean install and performing an upgrade while keeping only the files? In other words, is this sort of upgrade the same as a clean install, only with the files restored to 'documents', desktop, etc.? Or, does the new...
  10. Setup not executing with clean install

Setup not executing with clean install: The .iso created from 17134.1 via UUP dump has the issue; I downloaded the .esd for 17134.1 and setup.exe ran at boot as expected.