Windows 10: Difference between TechBench and Media Creation Tool

Discus and support Difference between TechBench and Media Creation Tool in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all, Just as the title says, what is the difference between TechBench: Tech Bench and the regular Media Creation Tool: Windows 10 ? Thanks!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DustSailor, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Difference between TechBench and Media Creation Tool

Hey all,

Just as the title says, what is the difference between TechBench: Tech Bench and the regular Media Creation Tool: Windows 10 ?

Thanks!

:)

DustSailor, Nov 19, 2015
  2. siddbn Win User

still havent recieved the november update for windows 10

what is the difference between the iso created by the media creation tool and the techbench iso????

siddbn, Nov 19, 2015
  3. Windows 10 download not working

Try Media Creation Tool or Techbench on a different browser.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 19, 2015
  4. AndreyT Win User

Difference between TechBench and Media Creation Tool

As far as I know, if you ask Media Creation Tool to download an ISO (as opposed to burning it directly to DVD or USB), the downloaded ISO will be the same as the one from Tech Bench.

Moreover, if you follow your "Media Creation Tool" link using a non-Windows device (Android, iOS, Linux etc.) the interface you will see there will look pretty much the same as the Tech Bench page. No Media Creation Tool. Just like on Tech Bench, you will have to select Edition and Language and will end up direct-downloading the same ISO file.

AndreyT, Nov 19, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Techbench ISOs don't fit on a 4GB flash drive, at least they didn't for me.
    The ISO from MCT does.

I'm going to do some testing on this in a bit. Will report back with results.

Edit: Well, that turned out not to be true. No idea what happened at the shop today but both the 32 and 64 bit Win 10 ISOs fit on a 4GB flash drive just fine.

Ztruker, Nov 19, 2015
  6. Techbench has a glitch free download IMO. Always use it and it also contains the right files (source files)to perform a corrupt file system restoration using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) service) using the command line interface if necessary.

lopedoggie, Nov 19, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Techbench version includes \sources\install.wim (~3.5GB)
    MCT includes \sources\install.esd (~2.7GB) which is a compressed version of install.wim, smaller file size, faster download but cannot be used with DISM to mount directly. To use install.esd with DISM, will require an extra step. See this post:
    Source to use for DISM on Windows 10 - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

Other than that, install Windows using either versions will result the same.

topgundcp, Nov 19, 2015
  8. Kyhi Win User

Also techbench ISO does not contain MediaMeta.xml
    which we have found the file to cause issues with extraction when creating PE

So techbench is the better option for ISO

9. Peter B Win User
    Just a quick question, please...if I downloaded the iso from Techbench today, would it install the latest build 10586.11?

Or aren't the iso files updated that often? And therefore would a clean installation revert to a specific point in time?

Peter B, Nov 19, 2015
  10. Kyhi Win User
    No, the build.servbuild is 10586.0
    there are two windows updates to the servbuilds after the build release.. .03 .11

11. OldMike65 Win User
    Question on the ISO from TechBench for Windows 1511 I've seen folks who have file dates of 11-12-15 inside their ISO after downloading from TechBench, which is the newer release. Everytime I try to download that ISO the file dates are always 10-30-15
    How are they able to get the newer release, and I don't seem able too??

OldMike65, Dec 2, 2015
  12. lx07 Win User
    If you mean the last modified date as seen here that is the date I converted the esd to wim (from MCT ISO). I've only seen October 30th for creation date for either Techbench or MCT.

13. Kyhi Win User

AHHH. the plot thickens..

14. OldMike65 Win User
    No wasn't yours, saw a couple of posts from 2 different members, who posted pics of their Install Wim files from their ISO and they were dated 11-12-15 Which is newer than any one I have downloaded.

Update on those file dates I saw. They ARE dated 11-10-2015 from his pic showing his file dates inside his iso.

OldMike65, Dec 2, 2015
  15. FYI there is now a 10586.17 build update...

DustSailor, Dec 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Difference between TechBench and Media Creation Tool - Similar Threads - Difference between TechBench

2. Difference between the official Media Creation Tool and Rufus for making Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difference between the official Media Creation Tool and Rufus for making Windows 10...: I am using Windows Media Creation Tool to make an USB installation media, and every time I make it, the checksum of two files change: install.esd and boot.wim. It makes it really hard to check the integrity of boot media, and honestly, there is absolutely no reason why the...
  3. Difference between the official Media Creation Tool and Rufus for making Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Difference between the official Media Creation Tool and Rufus for making Windows 10...: I am using Windows Media Creation Tool to make an USB installation media, and every time I make it, the checksum of two files change: install.esd and boot.wim. It makes it really hard to check the integrity of boot media, and honestly, there is absolutely no reason why the...
  4. Difference between the official Media Creation Tool and Rufus for making Windows 10...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?: Hello, I'm planning to create a Windows 11 USB for reinstallation and recovery but I need to know the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool, so I know the difference and which one to select....
  6. What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What's the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool?: Hello, I'm planning to create a Windows 11 USB for reinstallation and recovery but I need to know the difference between recovery drive and media creation tool, so I know the difference and which one to select....
  7. different letters(symbols) on media creation tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    different letters(symbols) on media creation tool: Is this something I should worry about or a common thing? mimari means architecture but bit x64 shouldn't written different in Turkish too https://m.imgur.com/a/k7FQ1hq submitted by /u/IsilwenQ [link] [comments]...
  8. Are there differences between using Media Creation Tool or Recovery Drive Utility when...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Are there differences between using Media Creation Tool or Recovery Drive Utility when...: I want to create a USB recovery drive to reinstall my Windows 10 on a new SSD. Sadly, Recovery Drive utility for Windows doesn't recognise my flash drive 32 GB: 4 GB reserved, 28 GB of free space. I tried different solutions from similar threads here, but none of them seemed...
  9. What is the difference between "Windows 10 Update Assistant" and "Media creation tool"?

What is the difference between "Windows 10 Update Assistant" and "Media creation tool"?: I am concerned about the download size. Will there be any difference in download sizes with these tools? submitted by /u/Vinay_K_K [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jlw6bi/what_is_the_difference_between_windows_10_update/
  10. Difference between clean install with media creation tool vs. "Reset this PC" in Settings

Difference between clean install with media creation tool vs. "Reset this PC" in Settings: Hi all – What's the difference between doing a clean install with the media creation tool vs. choosing "Reset this PC" in the Recovery settings? How-To Geek describes a clean install using the media creation tool. CNET describes a clean install as going into Settings -->...