Windows 10: Difference between UEFI and BIOS

Discus and support Difference between UEFI and BIOS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm confused with terminology and origin of UEFI and BIOS. I only understand benefits of UEFI. Is UEFI part of BIOS? Can PC have both? Are boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MarkWW, Mar 2, 2018.

1. MarkWW Win User

Difference between UEFI and BIOS

I'm confused with terminology and origin of UEFI and BIOS. I only understand benefits of UEFI.
    Is UEFI part of BIOS?
    Can PC have both?
    Are boot modes parts of UEFI or BIOS?
    Where UEFI is stored on PC?
    Does OS contains UEFI?
    Can UEFI be flashed/updated?

Two good links:
    BIOS and UEFI explained, all you need to know about
    Goodbye BIOS, hello UEFI

:)

MarkWW, Mar 2, 2018
  2. WayneRupp Win User

Windows 10 won't boot

There isn't total uniformity in UEFI or Legacy BIOS. Each computer is different, but there is
    some continuity of terms.

I think secure boot is in UEFI only, if at all. Maybe you don't have secure boot within your UEFI. I really don't know.

I thought that CSM = Legacy BIOS but yours seems to be GSM so... you see what I mean?

I seem to recall that one must switch to UEFI mode in the BIOS, in order to boot from installation media on newer computer devices.

All of this is somewhat vague and a blur to me because I'm old fashioned Legacy BIOS myself, and do not deal with switching back and forth between UEFI and CSM Legacy BIOS.

How is the installation going?

WayneRupp, Mar 2, 2018
  3. slance310 Win User
    0xc0000034 error, Can't Boot From HDD

Hi,

No problem... Glad that worked out for you...

The biggest difference between UEFI and Legacy Bios is how Windows loads...

The partitions are also different as UEFI Bios uses a small EFI Partition for the Boot Files... You need to select "Windows Boot Manager" as the Boot Device, not a partition like Legacy...

This can make it tricky creating media that will be recognized properly, and execute the commands properly...

The problem you were having with BOOTREC/REBUILDBCD is similar to the types of problems you might encounter if you choose the wrong one... That may not be the cause of your error, but similar to it...

For instance... you may get that error using Legacy type media with UEFI Bios, or Vice Versa...

slance310, Mar 2, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Mar 2, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    Strictly, UEFI is not part of BIOS.

The confusion arises because you have to go to a menu system which historically we called the BIOS when it is really the configuration menu for the BIOS, not the actual BIOS itself.

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Difference between UEFI and BIOS - Similar Threads - Difference between UEFI

2. UEFI vs BIOS: What is the difference between BIOS and UEFI?

in Windows 10 News
    UEFI vs BIOS: What is the difference between BIOS and UEFI?: [ATTACH]Is UEFI better or should you use BIOS? Anyone who is interested in understanding how their personal computers work will find this guide to be helpful. We explain the difference between BIOS (Basic Input-Output System) & UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) in...
  3. BIOS MODE UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BIOS MODE UEFI: MY PC DOES NOT SUPPORT BIOS MODE UEFI HOW TO SUPPORT THE UEFI IN MY PC INSPIRON 15 5558 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bios-mode-uefi/ac6086ce-66ea-4ac5-a024-1fecbf1aa88a
  4. Outdated BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Outdated BIOS to UEFI: Hi guys. So recently i was trying to figure out if how to boot into UEFI, but sadly there was no option for me to do that in the boot menu. Later on i googled some stuff and it told me to check system configuration to see if it says 'Legacy' which is Bios that you can convert...
  5. UEFI instead of BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UEFI instead of BIOS: Hi guys. So recently i've been checking out my system components and my BIOS seems to be outdated. First of all i want to install UEFI instead of BIOS, and secondly, it says 'Outdated' next to the 'BIOS', which i believe is a bad thing? Even tho google tells me that i don't...
  6. UEFI/BIOS Virus?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UEFI/BIOS Virus?: I have recently bought a new PC. Initially the W10 version was 1909 but very soon after purchase it was upgraded to 2004. One of the first things I did was to create a recovery USB memory stick. This was prior to me knowing how to access the PC's BIOS/UEFI although I had...
  7. Difference between

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Difference between: Is there a significant difference between the 14" Pavilion Laptop and the 14" Stream Laptop? Thanks. Sean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between/c649a7f5-03d2-4ee9-9dab-d71a780e228f
  8. and Difference between

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    and Difference between: What is the difference between defender definition updates KB915597 and KB2267602? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/and-difference-between/090c74ba-f728-4424-ab7c-759bf9453aaf
  9. BIOS / UEFI setup

in Windows 10 Support
    BIOS / UEFI setup: Hi, I have several Dell E6410's here with latest Win 10 1803 update and A17 BIOS. All ok apart from one machine which the power light stays on at shutdown. This particular machine happens to be set up with the boot option set to UEFI whereas the others use Legacy. So I...
  10. UEFI vs BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI vs BIOS: My computer has UEFI installed but when I go to the BIOS I see an old fashioned BIOS. I thought UEFI was supposed to replace the BIOS. Can someone explain? 81410