Windows 10: Differences between Compatibility Troubleshooter and registry key set

Discus and support Differences between Compatibility Troubleshooter and registry key set in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, according to this tutorial https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html compatibility settings could be done in several ways.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Samy, May 26, 2016.

1. Samy Win User

Differences between Compatibility Troubleshooter and registry key set

Hi all,
    according to this tutorial
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html
    compatibility settings could be done in several ways.

However, I'm experiencing a different behaviour if I set compatibility through registry key or through Program Compatibility Troubleshooter and I need some help about it.

I have a little application, written very long ago on a XP system, that uses an API for setting sound volume on mixer.
    This API was no longer used in Windows 7, but running the program in compatibility mode was enough to make it work.
    I made a script to set key in registry at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    and all went well.

Recently I went up with W10 and did the same. Executed the script and all done.
    At this point I realized that memory limits were exceeded and resolved myself to recompile that program with updated API.
    I went to regedit, deleted the key and retried to check memory (expecting the mixer call won't work).
    Here my first surprise: it worked! and memory usage was still high!
    It was as app was launched in compatibility mode, even if nothing was setted so. No key in Layers folder and no checkbox in Properties/compatibility Tab.

I then tried to use Compatibility Troubleshooter to see what it would have suggested; clicked on reccomended settings and it suggested no compatibility, tested app and BAM!
    Second surprise, it doesn't work and low memory usage. Retried to launch it manually and same.

I tried several times and always the same effect applies.
    It's like deleting keys in registry isn't enough to return to previous no-compatibility settings.

Does the Compatibility Troubleshooter set something different?
    Or there's some key I'm missing?
    Anyone else has experienced this?

Sorry for long post. I wanted to explain from the beginning, cause I'm still confused myself.

Thx
    David

:)

2. Javond Win User

Windows 10 Defer upgrade settings using Group Policy

I have my Windows 10 1607 and 1703 computers configured through Group Policy to have updates be applied according to Current Branch for Business. I also have group policy applied to set active hours between 7 am and 5 pm.

On the computers, under the registry key HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate ... The active hours show correctly with a start of "7" and end of "17". The BranchReadinessLevel is "20(32)" which translates to CBB.

However, the registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settiings ... The ActiveHoursStart is "8" instead of 7. The BranchReadinessLevel is "10(16)" Which translates to Current Branch.

If I open Settings, the settings for active hours and choosing the branch levels are
    not greyed out and show hours of 8am to 5pm and a branch readiness level of "Current Branch".

I have 2 questions. 1. Why is the gui not displaying what I have applied through group policy?

2. What is the difference between the 2 registry keys? Why are their 2 different keys with conflicting settings?

Thank you in advance.

Javond, May 26, 2016
  3. Difference between windows keys

The Microsoft Store sells retail, full version licenses for Windows 10 and you can download whatever architecture you want:

Buy Windows 10 Home/Pro

Andre Da Costa, May 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, just wondering why you need to delve into the registry for this? You can set the compatibility mode manually via the GUI. (Besides using the troubleshooter).

dalchina, May 26, 2016
  5. Samy Win User
    Hi Dalchina,
    I used to set registry key as a part of a setup script that set compatibility mode for some processes and a bunch of other stuff (the mixer process is only a part of a small suite that I distribute as gadget to some friends).
    Anyway I want to avoid a user to have to manually check on compatibility checkboxes for every application I eentually develop in the future..

Anyway, I tried to reset compaatibility via the GUI but the effect is the same than removing registry key.

Troubleshooter makes something different and was wondering what it is.

I don't like very much this self-decided action from Windows, I'm worried it could hide something else.

6. dalchina New Member
    Thanks for the explanation- maybe you can explain what difference you experience setting the compatibility (to the same setting?) those two ways. Hopefully someone might know more...

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Differences between Compatibility Troubleshooter and registry key set - Similar Threads - Differences between Compatibility

2. Windows settings tranfering between different devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows settings tranfering between different devices: Holy ****. This is basic programing 101. What are you idiots even doing over there? Why is it that I set a mouse for a left handed person on a different device and it changes the mouse settings on my other devices? A quick google search shows this has been an issue for at...
  3. .NET Framework troubleshooting: How to set registry key...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    .NET Framework troubleshooting: How to set registry key...: I'm attempting to uninstall Malwarebytes using their uninstaller tool. Running it displayed: .NET Updates not found .NET 4.0 Updates are required, but not detected on this machine. Please check for the latest .NET updates using Windows Update and then try again. The...
  4. Compatibility Troubleshooter Broken

in Windows 10 Support
    Compatibility Troubleshooter Broken: Hi all, first time posting here I am on a Dutch Windows 10 Pro install I`ve been having this problem for a couple of days When I run the Windows 10 Compatibility Troubleshooter, it seems to hang on the detecting issues screen. It used to take some seconds before the next...
  5. Difference between

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Difference between: Is there a significant difference between the 14" Pavilion Laptop and the 14" Stream Laptop? Thanks. Sean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-between/c649a7f5-03d2-4ee9-9dab-d71a780e228f
  6. Difference between settings & control panel?

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between settings & control panel?: I'm new the the Windows 10 Forums, and actually very new to the Windows 10 operating system (coming from using Apple products). I find it a bit confusing that there seems to be sometimes two places for some settings, for instance I see two different areas for...
  7. Difference between these 2 registry locations for hiding icons ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between these 2 registry locations for hiding icons ?: Hey Guys I am attempting to tidy up our Group Policy for Widows 10. Could someone please tell me the difference between these 2 registry locations? Thanks.... [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartM enu]...
  8. Please Set Registry Key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Please Set Registry Key: I am trying to open a disk sent by my doctor of xray images. However, every time I open the program this error occurs "please set registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft.NetFramework\InstallRoot to point to the .NET Framework install location How do I change the Key?...
  9. and Difference between

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    and Difference between: What is the difference between defender definition updates KB915597 and KB2267602? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/and-difference-between/090c74ba-f728-4424-ab7c-759bf9453aaf
  10. Multitasking Settings Registry keys

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Multitasking Settings Registry keys: Hey all, I am creating a heap of reg files for personal use so that when i format in the future, i can run a script to set windows 10 just how i want. I am having an issue finding any registry key linked to the following option System - Multitasking - "When I snap a...