Windows 10: Different backups softwares. which one to choose?

Discus and support Different backups softwares. which one to choose? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; so one question regarding macrium free , can I mount only the differential backup image to retrieve some files/folders in a worst case scenario or do I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by gundja, Jun 9, 2017.

1. kado897 Win User

Different backups softwares. which one to choose?

You can't make a differential image unless you have first made a full image. If you mount the differential it merges with the full image so you see the full file system.

kado897, Jun 10, 2017
  2. gundja Win User

ok so for mounting the image , I would like to use daemon tools , is it fine ?

gundja, Jun 10, 2017
  3. kado897 Win User
    No. Macrium supplies the means to mount it's own image. Just right click on the image file and chose "Explore Image"

kado897, Jun 10, 2017
  4. Different backups softwares. which one to choose?

Macrium reflect is VERY easy to use and mount the image to restore files if needed... *Smile

stuarttunstall, Jun 10, 2017
  5. kado897 Win User
    That is just for individual files of course. For a full image restore you need to do that using a bootable Macrium rescue disk/USB. That is easy to create through the Macrium UI.

kado897, Jun 10, 2017
  6. kado897 Win User
    I did a YouTube tutorial many years ago on restoring a Macrium image. It hasn't changed much.

[youtube]rkSX5OzI-TA[/youtube]

kado897, Jun 10, 2017
  7. gundja Win User
    thanks for answering all my questions guys, I am definitely going the macrium way.

gundja, Jun 11, 2017
  8. jpeni Win User

In years of testing and using disk backup software, I selected the one program that never failed to create a viable disk image and restore my PC whenever I needed it. It can successfully restore a bare-bones PC to full working order. Active@ Disk Image is a PC backup solution for an entire computer or any sets of PC disks (including removable and optical), including operating system, applications and user files. A backup image may be stored on a USB drive, network storage, burned directly to CD or DVD discs, or kept on any other media. In case of computer failure, a backup image may be used to recover your computer system or find & restore any necessary files from within an image. Active@ Disk Image creates two types of disk images (1) Backup Disk Image is used for backup of entire computer or any PC disks, and contains used disk space only (2) Raw Disk Image contains an identical copy of every disk sector-it can be used for backup of non-Windows systems.

And Active Disk Image Lite is Freeware.

jpeni, Jun 15, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Macrium Reflect Free can backup non Windows partitions as well. In fact you do not even have to select such option - it just does it.

cereberus, Jun 15, 2017
  10. Stevekir Win User
    Like jimbo45 my C: (operating system and programs) is on an SSD. My data (personal filessuch as Documents, Pictures etc.) are on a 2 TB internal spinning disc (D*Smile.

I use Macrium Reflect Free to make an automatic backup of C: every day (no differentials needed) to an ext. USB HDD keeping two previouse ones. In tests I have used the image it produces to restore my C: It works perfectly.

For D: I use FreeFileSync (Free, donations welcome) to backup to another ext. USB HDD every day. Unlike Macrium it does not make a copy of the entire disk - just those parts which have changed. To do that FFS compares D: with the backup, makes a list of new files to be saved and existing files to be updated. It then saves only those fies to the backup. It also deletes files on the backup which are no longer on D:. An average backup takes a few minutes compared to Macrium which in my case takes (would take) over an hour. There is no need for separate differentials, partly because this backup is done every day, and partly because of the way FFS works (not saving the whole disc). At present I initiate it manually using a shortcut on the Desktop. I will soon be setting up FFS to do this automatically.

This setup suits me perfectly.

Stevekir, Jun 24, 2017
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    in fact you are adopting roughly the same solution as me - but all on a Windows platform.

I chose my way as I have around 9 TB of music / video files so using the NAS server to update the changed music / multi-media files is for those who have a Linux based NAS server is IMO the best way.

I plug the external USB drive on to a USB3 port on the NAS server and then the rsync job runs daily at 00.05.

I can also plug the HDD on to a Windows HOST laptop, and then mount it on to a Linux VM that I run with vmware on the laptop. With SAMBA the NAS will see the external USB drive as an external network drive -- job done -- this is handy if the NAS is in a position not easily acessible. It's best if large amount of data being updated to use a LAN rather than a Wifi connection - although decent 5GHZ wifi will give decent speed and if running the job overnight --I don't care if it runs for say an hour or so.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Different backups softwares. which one to choose? - Similar Threads - Different backups softwares

2. Which is the best software app to backup Win 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Which is the best software app to backup Win 11: There are lots of apps to backup Windows, which ones have a proven track record for accuracy and reliability.Don't know which one to pick, paid or free app?Thnk you,...
  3. Which is the best software app to backup Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Which is the best software app to backup Win 11: There are lots of apps to backup Windows, which ones have a proven track record for accuracy and reliability.Don't know which one to pick, paid or free app?Thnk you,...
  4. Windows 11 vs macOS Monterey: Which one to choose?

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 vs macOS Monterey: Which one to choose?: Windows and Mac are two of the most-used operating systems in the world, and both offer different features and interfaces. However, there is more to consider when it comes to picking which is better. In this article, we will look deeper at the Windows 11 vs macOS Monterey...
  5. software differences

software differences: Admitedly, I'm cheap. But, I go to a couple of software giveaway sites to see what there is to offer. Although I'm cheap, I have been convinced to purchase a few of these freebies. But, what I find confusing is that it appears some companies provide two different versions...
  6. Which backup software do you use?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which backup software do you use?: Which backup software do you use to create backup of your windows 10 files and folder? I used file history and it is not showing any progress bar and taking a lot of time to create a backup of 34 gb files and folders...
  7. Different product keys. Which one is correct?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Different product keys. Which one is correct?: Hi all. I need to reinstall windows because my updater won't install or even find the 2004 spring update anymore. Figured a clean install would help. I watched some tutorials, and they say I should not be asked for a product key (or to skip that part) for some reason, but...
  8. Which software is that?

Which software is that?: Hi, I really wish what is that software that is used in videos like this one below? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF5mgJZrfQA&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1l6XsQRuIsJ6E7oJu7TRwLXLhd-NGr6yUtCaVGuJW_acVyhlWCQ58_7B8 I'm hoping to know that white board's name, and hopefully...
  9. Two Backup software on one system

in Browsers and Email
    Two Backup software on one system: Why can't you have two backup programs on the same system? I had macrium reflect v7 (paid) and Acronis 2017. I've used Acronis since version 8. Starting with Acronis 2012 it started to slow down a lot. Upgraded all the way to 2017 thinking it would speed up. It didn't and may...
  10. Imaging vs data backup software..is there a difference...which is best

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Imaging vs data backup software..is there a difference...which is best: There is so much on the web regarding backup software and so many backup software that it gets a little confusing. What is the difference between imaging backups and data backups? I have my OS and all my programs on an SSD Drive(C) and all Data Files on a Data Drive (D)...