Windows 10: Different installs - different user names

Discus and support Different installs - different user names in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Over time I had a few retail licenses for Windows 7(seven) Pro and one Windows 10 x64 retail. In the Windows Explorer->Help->About, they show... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tfwul, Aug 14, 2016.

1. tfwul Win User

Different installs - different user names

Over time I had a few retail licenses for Windows 7(seven) Pro and one Windows 10 x64 retail.
    In the Windows Explorer->Help->About, they show different users under licensed to.
    One old (blabla at hotmail) and one new (blabla at outlook.com)
    They are both correct.
    I don't use hotmail anymore but outlook.com only.
    Is it possible to change that hotmail to outlook ?

thanks
    =

:)

tfwul, Aug 14, 2016

2. Windows 10 - Two user folders, different names same content

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but I haven't been able to find my answer by searching. I finally set up my Windows 10 pc and in the Users folder is a username I did not choose for myself - it's really stupid. But at the top, there is a
    folder that IS the account I set up. Both folders have the same files. The folder at the top does not list a path and looks like it's equivalent with OneDrive, This PC, Libraries, Network and Control Panel. I'm assuming that this is just an easier way to
    view my account and it points to this other user account. But so that I don't confuse things, can the user name in the Users folder be changed to match the account name that I
    did set up? I didn't set up the user name in the User Accounts folder and it's not listed in User Accounts in control panel. Very confusing. Thanks.

By the way, this is a new machine and has only been used for a day. Updates have all been done and only Office and Acrobat have been installed.

dreemsnake1, Aug 14, 2016
  3. Ryan Fra Win User
    Windows 10 - Two user folders, different names same content

Thank you for providing the screenshots. We would also like to know which version of version of Windows you are using.

To get the version of your Windows, press Windows key + R and type
    "winver" then press Enter.

We also suggest that you check for the latest Windows updates by going to
    Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > Check for updates.

Ryan Fra, Aug 14, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

How to Change the Registered PC Owner in Any Version of Windows

The display you are asking about is for display purposes only and has no bearing on whether or not Windows is licensed or activated or not, and that information also is just on the local computer and does not affect any records Microsoft keeps. So feel free to change it to whatever you like! Different installs - different user names :)

What we have not been able to figure out is sometimes when Windows is set up it will put in the first account created user name in there, and sometimes it will put just Windows User (or something generic like that) in there and we haven't been able to figure out why.

NavyLCDR, Aug 14, 2016
  5. tfwul Win User
    Ah, right, many thanks!

With me here, I noticed that Windows is using the first 5 characters of the mail address of the MS account.
    That may not always be desirable.
    e.g. for hotmail I used a nickname, for outlook my real name.

I will check out the article.

Thanks again!

=

tfwul, Aug 14, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you create a new user account whether or not it is installing Windows or just creating a new user account in existing Windows, I always create a local account first. That gives me the exact user name that I want. It also uses that user name to create the folder under Users. Then I convert that account to a MS account - that does not change the user name or the folder name under Users.

NavyLCDR, Aug 14, 2016
  7. Noted in 1607 Clean installed with a Local account

The registered user is Windows User, not my local account.

1511 had .

Not looking to solve an issue, just noting my results with 1607.

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Different installs - different user names - Similar Threads - Different installs different

2. Users file Name is different from settings account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users file Name is different from settings account name: This was partially solved when I asked this question earlier The below link is for context, I can send a SS if...
  3. Users file Name is different from settings account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users file Name is different from settings account name: This was partially solved when I asked this question earlier The below link is for context, I can send a SS if...
  4. Users file Name is different from settings account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users file Name is different from settings account name: When I open my files app and go to users it shows 3 users one of which are public. I intentionally created the two users not including the public one I know why the Public one exists but in both the usernames are different from what is mentioned in the settings. The names in...
  5. Users file Name is different from settings account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users file Name is different from settings account name: When I open my files app and go to users it shows 3 users one of which are public. I intentionally created the two users not including the public one I know why the Public one exists but in both the usernames are different from what is mentioned in the settings. The names in...
  6. Getting different User Profile name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Getting different User Profile name: Today, I was cleaning the temp folder when i noticed that my user profile name is different. It should be "Surya Sengupta" however when i enter temp folder using run, i am getting "SURYAS~1". I am very much confused regarding this matter....
  7. 2 different user names

2 different user names: Hello I have 2 different user names under Windows C: >Users. it will allow me to rename one but not the other. I am not sure why I have 2. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-different-user-names/36033fc7-8cd0-46b9-981e-e03db32c1547
  8. Windows 10 - Install different programs on different user accounts?

Windows 10 - Install different programs on different user accounts?: I want to have both The Sims 2 (base game, physical copy/CD installation) and The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection (digital download) on the same computer, but I can't run one with the other installed because they conflict. I have two user accounts on my computer and I was...
  9. Different Users

Different Users: I have a computer that I own but was used thru Raymond James a Company. I had 3 users Daniel King, Nancy Wiles and Patrick King I had Turbo Tax loaded on for the last 3 years. Under Daniel King, We all left Raymond James, I can get on the computer as Patrick King but I...
  10. Different versions of Firefox for different users?

in Browsers and Email
    Different versions of Firefox for different users?: My PC has three users. Is it possible to run different versions for different users? For example, ESR v52 and Quantum v62 118890