Windows 10: Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?

Discus and support Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I recently bought an external monitor for my laptop and I would like to use both of the screens in extended mode. The problem is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Kaesgaan, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Kaesgaan Win User

Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor?

Hey everyone,

I recently bought an external monitor for my laptop and I would like to use both of the screens in extended mode.

The problem is that my laptop's screen resolution is 1366x768 and the external monitor's resolution is 1440x900.
    How do I change the resolution individually for each screen? I can change the external's resolution by using "second screen only" mode, but when in extended mode, I can only go with 1366x768. I tried searching on google, but with no luck.

Is there even a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Kaesgaan, Aug 9, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Scale and Layout On Different Monitors?

Hi Markos,

When a laptop or PC has a screen or monitor attached (be it your laptop or external monitor) what happens is Windows polls that device and works out the optimal resolution for that device.

In the case of your internal screen that is 1920x1080 that is why it is marked (Recommended).

Then if you connect an external monitor, Windows will work out the optimal resolution for that screen and apply that - it may or may not be the same as your laptop resolution

Windows will run both monitors at their optimal resolution. You can change this manually if you wish later . . .

DaveM121, Aug 9, 2017
  3. why do we lose function in our external monitors when we do windows 10 updates

Try this:

• Connect it to the external monitor then switch ON your laptop. If you failed to get the display in external monitor, then use the proper combination keys(like Fn+F5/ the function key that's having the monitor symbol on it) to toggle between your laptop
      screen and the external monitor.
    • Try decreasing your screen resolution.

Yuri Nathan, Aug 9, 2017
  4. Helmut Win User

You should be able to. I use an external 1920 x 1080 monitor with a 1366 x 768 Laptop, HDMI connection. Extended mode.
    There is no problem with the different resolutions.
    You obviously cannot change the screens native resolution.
    In duplicate mode the larger one just scales up.

There are no settings to be done, it just does it.

Helmut, Aug 9, 2017
  5. Kaesgaan Win User
    I still haven't figured it out. In Intel graphics control panel, I can change settings individually for each monitor, but when in extended mode, I can change the external monitor's resolution to 1366x768 only. In Windows Settings (while in extended) I can't change the resolution at all:

Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor? [​IMG]

Kaesgaan, Aug 9, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. I dual monitor, but on a tower (see my system specs below).

I think this may depend on your graphics driver and build.

If I open Settings app > System > Display > I get this to highlight either monitor to change either one. This is in extended mode. Some settings get greyed out depending on highlighted monitor.

Tutorial on the subject: Change Screen Resolution of Display in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Tony K, Aug 9, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    In the first image, just the monitor selections 1. is the Laptop, 2. is the Dell monitor.

In the second image, the drop down box for the laptop built in display indicates 1366 x 768 (native) one only.
    The Dell monitor lists various resolutions up to 1920 x 1080 (native).
    It defaults to the native resolution, you could select a lower resolution and it would scale up or centre etc.

But as I say it just does it. You may have to fiddle about with scaling as your aspect ratios are different.

The third image is mine with your 1440 x 900 on the Dell, and it looks like the preview picture, horrible on mine but again it just works.

You can do the same thing with the Windows Settings as the other images. It's the same thing.

I just did it the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel way to be different.....

Attachment 148188

Attachment 148189

Attachment 148190

Helmut, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor? - Similar Threads - Different resolution laptop

2. Dual Monitors with different resolutions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitors with different resolutions: I have my laptop connected to two monitors side by side. However, on the secondary monitor the image, taskbar, apps, etc... is stretched horizontally. I have tried changing the resolution of the screen in settings but none of the options seem to work. Only when I unplug the...
  3. Dual Monitors with different resolutions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual Monitors with different resolutions: I have my laptop connected to two monitors side by side. However, on the secondary monitor the image, taskbar, apps, etc... is stretched horizontally. I have tried changing the resolution of the screen in settings but none of the options seem to work. Only when I unplug the...
  4. External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP)

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP): Hi, Firstly, this is my first post so apologies if this has been asked/addressed before (I have searched but to no avail)... Some specs: Dell Precision 7520 Laptop Windows 10 Pro Intel Core i7-7820HQ (4 Core), 2.9 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Turbo) 32 GB (2x 16 GB), DDR 4, 2400 MHz Ram...
  5. External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP)

in Windows 10 Support
    External monitor won't display native resolution (LAPTOP): Hi, Firstly, this is my first post so apologies if this has been asked/addressed before (I have searched but to no avail)... The problem: I recently bought an external monitor (ACER KG271G Full HD 27" IPS LED Monitor). When connected to my laptop, the only display resolution...
  6. external monitor screen resolution seems off

external monitor screen resolution seems off: Hi guys, I just updated my graphic driver for my external monitor and all of the sudden, the resolution of my 2nd monitor looks odd. The scaling is a lot bigger and the task bar at the bottom of my screen is bigger on my 2nd monitor. How do I resolve this issue? Any help...
  7. Unable to change screen resolution for external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to change screen resolution for external monitor: I have a Surface Laptop 3, and a Viotek 34" ultrawide monitor, connected through the Microsoft docking station using Display port to Mini-Display port. When I originally connected my laptop, I was able to adjust the external monitor's resolution with no problem. Recently,...
  8. External Monitor Resolution is abnormal

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Monitor Resolution is abnormal: When I switch two monitors, resolution is abnormal... 1. Connect first monitor(Dell U3818DW) via HDMI cable 2. Unplug HDMI cable 3. Connect second monitor(Dell S2817Q) via HDMI cable 4. Screen resolution did not auto change to "recommend resolution"...
  9. External Monitor Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    External Monitor Resolution: Last update, my laptop came back with the resolution of the external monitor set back to 1024x768, with its normal 1280x1024 not available to select. How do I get that resolution back?...
  10. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue: I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. display resolution on external monitor different

2. laptop external monitor different resolution

3. Different resolution for laptop screen/external monitor

4. Different resolution on external monitor,
  5. the resolution of the monitor is different the laptop,
  6. laptop screen and external screen size differs