Windows 10: Different shortcut icons on different desktops

Discus and support Different shortcut icons on different desktops in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is it possible to place different sets of icons on different desktop ? For example, having desktop 1 empty, desktop 2 full of files, desktop 3 with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LewisRachman, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Different shortcut icons on different desktops

Is it possible to place different sets of icons on different desktop ?
    For example, having desktop 1 empty, desktop 2 full of files, desktop 3 with shortcuts to programmes/games, etc.
    Also is there a way to have a different wallpaper on each desktop, to tell them apart faster ?

My guess is all of that is not possible, given that additional desktops are not supposed to be "permanent", but rather added/deleted quickly. But maybe with a bit of tweaking ?

:)

LewisRachman, Aug 5, 2015
  2. Martmcd Win User

different backrounds on different desktops on the same computer

this was something asked for in early insider builds (over a year ago) you could upvote that request here feedback-hub:?contextid=216&feedbackid=ea92e239-8fdf-4fc4-897a-b2cf16ef88b6&form=1&src=2

or use the feedback app to post another request.

sorry don't know of any third party app that will do it.

[edit] for some reason it strips the link when I submit it, paste the following line into edge then click upvote

feedback-hub:?contextid=216&feedbackid=ea92e239-8fdf-4fc4-897a-b2cf16ef88b6&form=1&src=2

Martmcd, Aug 5, 2015
  3. bpug621 Win User
    different backrounds on different desktops on the same computer

Ok, so I have been doing research and can't find anything about have different wallpapers on different desktops, but on the same computer. Some of my friends that have macs have this function, but I can't find anything about how to do it on windows 10.
    If there is no way to do it without an third party application, could someone recommend one? I really want to do this, and know some other people with the same problem. Thank you everyone who replies to this question in a non hate manner.

bpug621, Aug 5, 2015
  4. Pricey2k Win User

Different shortcut icons on different desktops

Did you ever get an answer for this?

Pricey2k, Nov 29, 2015
  5. mykou Win User
    yes it is possible but with dexpot as virtual desktop manager - custom wallpaper per desktop - auto launch app when starting windows - custom icons on desktops ... )

I tested it under win 10240 - 10586 without major issue .

dexpot 1.6

mykou, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Different shortcut icons on different desktops

1. Different shortcut icons on different desktops - Similar Threads - Different shortcut icons

2. Different icons on Different desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different icons on Different desktops: when are we getting this feature it's pointless to have diffrent desktops with the same icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-icons-on-different-desktops/ab2ab73b-5d94-4e6d-8675-252a364894d8
  3. Different icons on Different desktops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different icons on Different desktops: when are we getting this feature it's pointless to have diffrent desktops with the same icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-icons-on-different-desktops/ab2ab73b-5d94-4e6d-8675-252a364894d8
  4. Different icons on Different desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different icons on Different desktops: Hi all, Just wondering as i just got a new laptop with Windows 11 if i can install different icon shortcuts in different desktops.It appears each new desktop clones the icons from the last.It would be good to switch to a different desktop and see different icons altogether...
  5. Different icons on Different desktops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different icons on Different desktops: Hi all, Just wondering as i just got a new laptop with Windows 11 if i can install different icon shortcuts in different desktops.It appears each new desktop clones the icons from the last.It would be good to switch to a different desktop and see different icons altogether...
  6. Desktop icons are different sizes

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons are different sizes: Why would downloaded or made online ico files be different sizes on the desktop. They are all 256px by 256 arent they? I have several folders on the desktop. The icons are for these folders. Thanks all 173606
  7. Different Desktops with Icons possible?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Different Desktops with Icons possible?: Are Desktops with different Program Icons possible, ie Desktop 1 and Desktop 2 with different Program Icons. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-desktops-with-icons-possible/fd7aeab8-771c-4769-9709-a6b28245a4a4
  8. Multiple desktops, different icons

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Multiple desktops, different icons: Hello So, I know how to use multiple desktops. Does anyone know a way to make it so that for example, Desktop 2 shows no Desktop Icons whereas Desktop 1 will show Desktop Icons? I can accept using 3rd-party software to make this work. - - - Updated - - - Why was this...
  9. Multiple desktops, different icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple desktops, different icons: Hello So, I know how to use multiple desktops. Does anyone know a way to make it so that for example, Desktop 2 shows no Desktop Icons whereas Desktop 1 will show Desktop Icons? I can accept using 3rd-party software to make this work. 159223
  10. Shortcuts are displayed on two different desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Shortcuts are displayed on two different desktops: Shortcuts that I have on my desktop and connected with my account are visible on another desktop that belongs to a different person. How to turn this off?...