Windows 10: Different wireless speeds on the same band

Discus and support Different wireless speeds on the same band in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Does having a N device on the same band (for example the 5GHz band) as an AC device slow down the AC device? I'm not sure if I should use the n/ac mix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bobsagetfullhou, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Different wireless speeds on the same band

Does having a N device on the same band (for example the 5GHz band) as an AC device slow down the AC device? I'm not sure if I should use the n/ac mix and allow N devices on my 5GHZ band or if this will slow down my AC devices on there.

:)

bobsagetfullhou, Dec 6, 2016

2. slow wifi speeds

Have you tried switching to a higher band? I was noticing very slow speeds on my 928 and it is very frustrating when other devices work without this problem.

As a test I have a dual-band wireless-n router, so I switched it to the 5ghz band and the speeds were what I would consider normal. I set my different bands to different SSIDs so I know which I'm connecting to.

BNeely---01, Dec 6, 2016
  3. k12math Win User
    windows phone 8 wifi switch hangs

Floris,
    I have a Lumia 928 and I have noticed that on dual band wireless routers I have differing signal strength between the two bands. I have had the most reliable connections with 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz even though the speed can be a little slower.
    See link for differences in network standards...
    Why Dual-Band Routers Are Good for Wireless Home Networking

I don't think it is a reliability issue on the part of my phone but actually issues with the WiFi routers themselves. This doesn't help solve your problem but may give you some additional insite.

k12math, Dec 6, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Different wireless speeds on the same band

The N devices on my network do not slow down my AC devices other than the standard slowdown that comes with more devices on the same channel.

NavyLCDR, Dec 6, 2016
  5. Adalwar Win User
    If you transfer files from one PC in 802.11N mode and other PC on AC mode , you get the max of the N mode. If it is N300 you will get max. 25MB/s / 2=12,5MB/s. On the other hand, if you put the N PC on 2.4GHz Band you will get the full 25MB/s speed

Adalwar, Dec 7, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Do 802.11n (and older) devices slow down 802.11ac ... - NETGEAR Communities

Again, the only slowdown to the AC devices is the bandwidth sharing with the N devices. An active N device does NOT pull the entire WiFi network down to N speeds. Now, an N device will take longer to transfer a file. So your bandwidth will be split between the two devices for a longer period of time when the file is being transferred to the N device than if it was two AC devices sharing the channel. But the AC device will still continue to transfer data at the full AC rate when the channel is free between the packets being sent to the N device - it just has to share the channel for a longer period of time with the N device than another AC device for the same size of file being transferred.

NavyLCDR, Dec 7, 2016
  7. Gotcha, so there is no downside to putting all my N devices on the 5Ghz channel with my AC devices? I was going to seclude them all to the 2.4ghz band so they didn't effect my AC which are all on the 5, but I'm guessing that won't be an issue.

bobsagetfullhou, Dec 7, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

That all depends on how much you want to split the bandwidth up. If you want to maintain a major highway connection to a specific device then you should limit the devices on that channel. At my house I have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels set to the same SSID and just let the various devices figure out what they want to connect to. I do not notice any stuttering or anything on any of my wireless devices and speedtest.net on all them still manages to pull the maximum download speed available from my internet connection. If I want the major highway bandwidth to transfer big files to/from NAS then I plug in a gigabit Ethernet cable.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Different wireless speeds on the same band - Similar Threads - Different wireless speeds

2. Drop in Internet Speeds on 2.4 GHZ Band.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drop in Internet Speeds on 2.4 GHZ Band.: To,Microsoft CommunityHey Friend, this is Gavin Mathos & using Windows 11 Version: 22H2 OS.I am using Fiber-To-Home FTTH Home Broadband Internet Connection. I get proper Faster Internet Speed as per ISP Tariff Plan's when I am connected to 5 GHZ Band, but when I switch to 2.4...
  3. Drop in Internet Speeds on 2.4 GHZ Band.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drop in Internet Speeds on 2.4 GHZ Band.: To,Microsoft CommunityHey Friend, this is Gavin Mathos & using Windows 11 Version: 22H2 OS.I am using Fiber-To-Home FTTH Home Broadband Internet Connection. I get proper Faster Internet Speed as per ISP Tariff Plan's when I am connected to 5 GHZ Band, but when I switch to 2.4...
  4. Connect to the same wifi with 2 difference wireless interface

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connect to the same wifi with 2 difference wireless interface: My PC has two wireless interface cards, one installed into the motherboard antenna poking out of the unit, the other one plugged in with a USB cable. Now in my connections tab I have WiFi and WiFi2 where I can separately select a network to connect. Since both interfaces are...
  5. Connect to the same wifi with 2 difference wireless interface

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connect to the same wifi with 2 difference wireless interface: My PC has two wireless interface cards, one installed into the motherboard antenna poking out of the unit, the other one plugged in with a USB cable. Now in my connections tab I have WiFi and WiFi2 where I can separately select a network to connect. Since both interfaces are...
  6. Connect to the same wifi with 2 difference wireless interface

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Same computer different download speed by username

Same computer different download speed by username: Issue: Download speeds under one login name are about 1/2 of all other names. This happened after a windows 10 update. If I log in under username-1 my download speeds are about 18 MB/s. This is the main account. Log in under any other username (same computer) and...
  8. Same laptop, different users, vastly different internet speeds.

Same laptop, different users, vastly different internet speeds.: I don't have screenshots of my task manager or anything yet and my Google searches have been fruitless for this issue. What's happening is when I'm logged into my profile and I do a speed test my download is around the 30-50 Mbps and my upload is around 8 Mbps. When I log...
  9. Same laptop, different users, vastly different internet speeds.

Same laptop, different users, vastly different internet speeds.: I don't have screenshots of my task manager or anything yet and my Google searches have been fruitless for this issue. What's happening is when I'm logged into my profile and I do a speed test my download is around the 30-50 Mbps and my upload is around 8 Mbps. When I log...
  10. Same laptop, different users, vastly different internet speeds.

in Windows 10 Support