Windows 10: Difficulty in cloning 10

Discus and support Difficulty in cloning 10 in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have 10 installed on a small 120GB SSD and have tried Macrium (usually faultless) to clone the drive to a larger SSD. But am having no luck. Have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by ICIT2LOL, Jun 17, 2016.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Difficulty in cloning 10

I have 10 installed on a small 120GB SSD and have tried Macrium (usually faultless) to clone the drive to a larger SSD. But am having no luck.

Have tried three times now with two different drives.

Any ideas on another cloning program please?

:)

ICIT2LOL, Jun 17, 2016
  2. Don1600 Win User

Cloning/migrating OS to new HD

Having difficulty Installing new HD. Can Win10 (32b) be cloned/migrated from MSR to GPT? If so how? I have read it cannot.

Don1600, Jun 17, 2016
  3. CLONE, CLONE, CLONE !

Hello everybody,

Before upgrading, clone your system disk !

I read too many posts from people having upgraded and who cannot rollback with the W10 rollback function.

If only they haved cloned...

Two solutions are better than one.

Thierry DUGUET, Jun 17, 2016
  4. Difficulty in cloning 10

EaseUS has a disk cloning tool. So does Aomei, Paragon, and most likely Acronis.

Not sure which of them have a FREE tool. I'm pretty sure Aomei Backupper is free.

Have you rejected Macrium imaging? It seems to have fewer problems than the cloning option.

ignatzatsonic, Jun 17, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You should really IMAGE if you are moving to a larger HDD.

Slightly longer process as you need to create an image on another drive and then restore. You could create a 2nd partition on your new drive to image the HDD to and then use that to restore. After Restore you can delete 2nd partition and expand the original one.

Another alternative if you MUST clone is to clone - and then after cloning simply use a partition manager to EXPAND the target HDD.

When cloning / imaging don't forget you need to ensure the System reserved partition is copied too.

No probs with Macrium that I've ever found. Use the bootable (stand alone version) - make a bootable USB by using RUFUS and the Macrium ISO you download.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 17, 2016
  6. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Well I think I found the problem in Partition Wizard I noticed the drive to be cloned to was MBR - I changed it to a GPT drive and the clone went through in no time at all - so hopefully it is now sorted at least the clone I have in now seems to be working faster and without a hitch.*Smile

ICIT2LOL, Jun 18, 2016
  7. RPmtl Win User
    I've been using Paragon Backup and Recovery for the past 2 years (previously Acronis) and it works well. I finally bought their paid version even though I could have stuck with the free one. It works with Windows 10. Their support forum also works well and questions seem to be answered quickly.

Here's the link to the free version download page:
    Paragon Backup & Recovery Free | Paragon Software

RPmtl, Jun 19, 2016
  8. ICIT2LOL Win User

Difficulty in cloning 10

Thanks RP but as above I found the problem as most of my old cloning has been done using legacy BIOS machines and this one is a EUFI one and therein lies the problem but I will keep Acronis in mind.*Smile

ICIT2LOL, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Difficulty in cloning 10

1. Difficulty in cloning 10 - Similar Threads - Difficulty cloning

2. Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive: Hi there, I'm having trouble accessing a shared network drive from my work computer. Every time I try to connect, I receive an error message stating that the drive cannot be found. I've double-checked the network settings and ensured that I have the correct permissions. Could...
  3. Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Difficulty Accessing Shared Network Drive: Hi there, I'm having trouble accessing a shared network drive from my work computer. Every time I try to connect, I receive an error message stating that the drive cannot be found. I've double-checked the network settings and ensured that I have the correct permissions. Could...
  4. My old Windows XP laptop is having technical difficulties.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My old Windows XP laptop is having technical difficulties.: Hello I have this old Windows XP Toshiba laptop. I tried using the “product recovery” disk to restore the operating system. But I’ve come across some issues. One of the errors I got setting it up was “ERROR: CreateFile 1. PHYSICALDRIVEOThe system cannot find the file...
  5. My old Windows XP laptop is having technical difficulties.

My old Windows XP laptop is having technical difficulties.: Hello I have this old Windows XP Toshiba laptop. I tried using the “product recovery” disk to restore the operating system. But I’ve come across some issues. One of the errors I got setting it up was “ERROR: CreateFile 1. PHYSICALDRIVEOThe system cannot find the file...
  6. Difficulty turning on my Laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Difficulty turning on my Laptop: Hello my name is Mike, I was using my laptop then got distracted for a short while when i came back to my laptop i found it in sleep mode and assumed that i turned it off so i went to bed not knowing that i never turned it off. So in the morning when i woke up i decided to...
  7. Difficulty turning on my Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Difficulty turning on my Laptop: Hello my name is Mike, I was using my laptop then got distracted for a short while when i came back to my laptop i found it in sleep mode and assumed that i turned it off so i went to bed not knowing that i never turned it off. So in the morning when i woke up i decided to...
  8. Difficulty turning on my Laptop

9. Is there a way to increase the difficulty of the challenges in Microsoft Ultimate Word Games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to increase the difficulty of the challenges in Microsoft Ultimate Word Games?: In particular, I really enjoy the Wordament challenge, but 3 days out of 4, it's too easy. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-increase-the-difficulty-of-the/e8b1fb20-c9c1-48e8-b94c-f2259f734e7c
  10. SATA SSD-> NVMe clone exercise - post-clone difficulties

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    SATA SSD-> NVMe clone exercise - post-clone difficulties: Hey All, (this thread has been raised on HP forums under: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto...m/td-p/7340240 I also raised separate thread here: Windows 10 restarts to black screen after SSD clone) I decided to move off SATA SSD (Samsung 850 Pro) to NVMe SSA (SAMSUNG...