Windows 10: Difficulty putting computer to sleep

Discus and support Difficulty putting computer to sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Now that I have WIN10 it's not possible for me to easily put the computer to sleep. The Power button shows the three options but a single click or a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dlcooper, Dec 14, 2016.

1. dlcooper Win User

Difficulty putting computer to sleep

Now that I have WIN10 it's not possible for me to easily put the computer to sleep. The Power button shows the three options but a single click or a double click on SLEEP yields a dark screen but then an active screen reappears in about 6 seconds.

Anyone have a clue? I'd be grateful for comments.

PS --When the screen goes blank after non-use is that true SLEEP or just a monitor "rest" ?

:)

dlcooper, Dec 14, 2016

2. Putting Computer to sleep

When I put my computer to sleep it goes thru the normal process and shuts down my Computer and turning the power light from blue to yellow, the problem is that immediately after it goes to sleep it powers back up and turns the power light blue again which
    means it is up and running. Can anyone in the community tell me what is happening and if so how to correct the problem.

Lawrence A Bauer, Dec 14, 2016
  3. Putting Computer to sleep

This response did not tell me what I might do to fix my problem. If for some reason the response did give me a hint of how to fix the problem I did not have enough knowledge to grasp how to fix problem.

Lawrence A Bauer, Dec 14, 2016
  4. Difficulty putting computer to sleep

Dell Jesse, Dec 14, 2016
  5. Just to answer your PS. When your screen goes blank you are saving energy, it is not sleep.

Caledon Ken, Dec 14, 2016
  6. dlcooper Win User
    Gosh, Dell, the tutorial is certainly comprehensive. Thanks.

In trying the tutorial suggestions I get the same result, coming out of sleep, but also a dialog box which says "Signal not rec'd. Check video cable" My video cable is secure so I don't know how to respond further. Guess I'll just muddle along, letting the (unused) computer time out, at least killing the monitor.

Below is a Great Informative tutorial from here on the TenForums detailing sleep mode. Click the link.

How to Put Your Computer to Sleep in Windows 10[/QUOTE]

dlcooper, Dec 14, 2016
  7. In the event that your computer is actually getting to sleep, not sure from description, you can run this command from an elevated command prompt powercfg -lastwake This will tell you which device was the last device to say wake up.

One good command to run would be powercfg -a This tells you what sleep states are available on your computer. S1 light, S2 deep, S3 deepest, S4 hibernation.

You may have already done this but under you network adapter properties, under the Power Management tab uncheck Allow this device to wake computer. Wired and wireless.

Under your power plan under advance options, then under sleep, disable Wake Timers unless you use scheduled tasks.

Caledon Ken, Dec 14, 2016
  8. dlcooper Win User

Gee, Ken, you've put me on the right track. I was blind to the Pwr Mgmt settings and some changes now give me just what I need. Thanks. It's good that knowledgeable people like you give us know-nothings such help...gratis.

dlcooper, Dec 15, 2016
  9. You're welcome. Glad we could help.

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Difficulty putting computer to sleep - Similar Threads - Difficulty putting computer

2. Computer crashing when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashing when put to sleep: Hi,Minidump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pdz2u69zg3amjv/121022-69343-01.zip?dl=0Computer occasionally crashes for no reason, but recently always when asleep.Motherboard: H110M-ACPU: Intel i5-6500Windows 10 Home 64bitPlease let me know if I can provide any other...
  3. Computer crashing when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer crashing when put to sleep: Hi,Minidump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pdz2u69zg3amjv/121022-69343-01.zip?dl=0Computer occasionally crashes for no reason, but recently always when asleep.Motherboard: H110M-ACPU: Intel i5-6500Windows 10 Home 64bitPlease let me know if I can provide any other...
  4. Computer crashing when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Computer crashes when I put it to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer crashes when I put it to sleep: So I usually put my pc to sleep using the win+x menu, but lately, I've noticed that my PC will turn itself off before it actually goes to sleep. The screen turns black and the PC tower will run for about 5 minutes before shutting down. When I check the event logs this is what...
  6. Computer Wont Put Itself to Sleep?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer Wont Put Itself to Sleep?: As the title states for some reason my PC wont put itself to sleep? I know it has to be some application thats keeping it awake but Im genuinely at a loss as to what it might be. Ive tried everything from changing the sleep and power saving settings ( as I am on windows 10)...
  7. Putting computer to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Putting computer to sleep: Can anyone help me with this one. No matter what I do in the power settings the computer will not go to sleep after the 5 minutes that I have set. I have done the bit in the advance, but no matter what I do the computer will not go into sleep mode unless I put in there...
  8. Computer Crashes When Put to Sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Crashes When Put to Sleep: I press Windows key, Power, and then Sleep. The display immediately turns off but my keyboard and mouse stay lit up, after about 1 minute the computer shuts down. When I go to turn the computer back on it goes through the boot up process. This problem only started happening...
  9. Computer wakes from sleep immediately after putting to sleep

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Computer wakes from sleep immediately after putting to sleep: The problem i have is when i select to put my PC into sleep mode (Start>Power icon>Sleep). The screen goes black as if its entering sleep mode, but then almost immediately 'wakes up' and my video cam starts looking for a face to scan. I'm "assuming" this is related to...
  10. should i put computer to sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    should i put computer to sleep?: shout i leave the power options alone? like iof i am converting a video? 19554