Windows 10: DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them.

Discus and support DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there a way with DIR command line via CMD or power shell to list the contents of a directory but exclude the contents of the folders and generate a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ZippyDSMlee, Feb 16, 2017.

1. DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them.

Is there a way with DIR command line via CMD or power shell to list the contents of a directory but exclude the contents of the folders and generate a a bare list(location name only). Just list the files and folders?

:)

ZippyDSMlee, Feb 16, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

DIR of folders & sub-folders in WIN 10

Hi Bob,

Open Command Prompt, navigate to the parent folder (Your Music fioder) and run this command

dir /s /b /o:n /ad > List.txt

A new text file will be created in the parent folder with a list of all sub folders, but not the mp3 files

That's It!

DaveM121, Feb 16, 2017
  3. list contents similar to Dir command by Windows built in "Kind"

I've been searching for a way to print a listing of folder and subfolders and only want a certain kind, based on Windows built in "Kind" associations.

I know how to do the dir command to print a listing of a folder and how to use the dir command to list only a certain type.

What I am hoping for is someone out there might know of a way to make a printout or a file of the listings of a certain "kind" based on the associations that are setup in Windows.

For example, if you use Explorer to search, you can by kind (Documents, movies, videos, music, etc), or type (*.exe, *.avi, *.mp3, *.txt, *.doc, etc)

I've tried to search using various terms here, on Bing, Google, etc and it's just not taking me anywhere that might give me help. I've even looked for powershell scripts someone might have posted to do the job.

Prefer to not install 3rd party software to do the trick but use Windows built in solutions but am open to suggestions as a last resort.

Paul_W_Chambers, Feb 16, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them.

In a Command Prompt window type dir /? [note the space] to get a list of switches you can use. I frequently use dir /o/s>dir.txt to get an Organized list of files and subFolders redirected to a dir.txt file in that Folder. Leave off the >dir.txt is only wanting a list on the screen but could use /p to pause it a screenful at a time.

Berton, Feb 16, 2017
  5. pparks1 Win User
    Give this a shot, and obviously set your starting path to whichever directory you want.

Get-ChildItem -Path C:\Windows\apppatch |Select-Object FullName

pparks1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them.

1. DIR list to text list folders but not what is in them. - Similar Threads - DIR list text

2. Number of files in list of folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Number of files in list of folders: Hi, I have a list of 200 folders. Is it possible to see how many files there are in each folder without going to each folder seperately?Someting like adding a counter to the foldername, which shows actual number of filesChecking every time each folder seperately is not...
  3. Number of files in list of folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Number of files in list of folders: Hi, I have a list of 200 folders. Is it possible to see how many files there are in each folder without going to each folder seperately?Someting like adding a counter to the foldername, which shows actual number of filesChecking every time each folder seperately is not...
  4. folder list

in Windows 10 Support
    folder list: I want to move PDF files to a PDF folder which I have.&nbsp; Th e PDF folder doesn't show on my move to folder list.&nbsp; How do I add the PDF folder To my list? when I create a New folder with a PDF name, it doesnt show upon my list.<br> 183701
  5. "dir" output file list encoding is wrong

in Windows 10 Support
    "dir" output file list encoding is wrong: I inherited some 20,000 .jpg files which wound their way from a French language version Windows 10 to Picasa, and then downloaded several times into different folders which created several copies of the same images. (A total of 196 sub folders, but the contents and folder...
  6. File Listing in Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Listing in Folders: Why does Windows 10 Explorer not display ALL of the files in a designated folder? I have an App Finale Print Music 2014 that I used to create new music encryptions; then saved to a designated folder. Then I call up Win Ex that folder, but the new entry may or not appear. I...
  7. List folder files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    List folder files.: How can I fall in love with all the files in a folder starting from 1 to the number of files that the folder contains. It could be some .bat or some advice thanks 164506
  8. Program Files folders not listed in Dir

in Windows 10 Support
    Program Files folders not listed in Dir: I cannot "CD\Window\Program Files" from a administrator command prompt and if I do a "Dir", "Programs Files" and "Program Files (86)" are not listed. I have a folder that I want to change the attributes on and can't do it because I don't have access to the parent folder....
  9. List of them Games!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    List of them Games!: Hello everyone, I need some suggestions to you pros can you guys pls make some list of games that still fun to play after you beat the main story. (Only for PC Games) example: Skyrim Dragon Age Inquisition Nier Automata GTA V Metal Gear 5 - phantom pain Dead Rising...
  10. What is the point of Jump Lists?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the point of Jump Lists?: I've never used Jump Lists as they always seemed a bit pointless. For example, I've always turned off the function to use jump lists on the start menu. Please could someone take a moment to explain it's virtues, how it improves productivity, or maybe how it enhances the...