Windows 10: Direct equivalent to Picasa Photo Viewer?

Discus and support Direct equivalent to Picasa Photo Viewer? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; This has been asked many times around the net but I've yet to find a suitable answer. I have thousands of photos and currently I use Picasa Photo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DavidA23, Sep 1, 2016.

1. DavidA23 Win User

Direct equivalent to Picasa Photo Viewer?

This has been asked many times around the net but I've yet to find a suitable answer.
    I have thousands of photos and currently I use Picasa Photo Viewer when viewing photos in Win 10 Explorer.
    It's (IMO) an excellent, non-intrusive & very fast way to view my pics.
    You don't need to open any application other than Explorer, just set Windows to use Photo Viewer as a default.
    It will also slideshow your photo folder and zoom in & out using just the mouse wheel.
    Although Picasa has a photo organiser and editor I never use them, preferring Lightroom, Bridge & Photoshop.
    But now I hear that Google is retiring it in favour of Google+ which is a totally different thing.

I just wasted another half hour trying to answer this question via Search, found the question posed many times &
    been disappointed with the answers.
    Does anyone know of anything which is a direct equivalent?

:)

DavidA23, Sep 1, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Picasa 3 photos disappeared

Google no longer supports Picasa and have moved over to Google Photo!

Picasa does not store photos, so your photos are not gone, just the reference to the folder on your PC that contains the photos, Picasa simply scans whatever folders you tell it to . . .

In Picasa go to Tools > Folder Manager and set the folders that you want it to scan and show you to "Scan Always" and those
    that you do not want shown in Picasa to "Remove From Picasa". This just removes it from Picasa's scan.

DaveM121, Sep 1, 2016
  3. How do I stop picasa from searching for photos.

Original Title - stop picasa from searching for photos

How do I stop picasa from searching for photos

WilliamBoycePP, Sep 1, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

Steve C, Sep 1, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
  6. Barman58 Win User
    One other option that not a lot are aware of is that Adobe Bridge is available legally for free, this is not an older version but the same as "shipped" with the latest version of the Creative Cloud Suite.

Its True: Adobe Bridge CC Is Completely Free for Everyone, for Life! | ProDesignTools

This is the same application that Pros use to manage their media, and also contains the Camera Raw application so will load , view and convert all the latest files from DSLR and other top end cameras

Barman58, Sep 1, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    You'll need a magnifying glass to see the Bridge UI if you use a high dpi monitor.

Steve C, Sep 1, 2016
  8. Barman58 Win User

I agree about the UI scale options but the latest does have some control

Direct equivalent to Picasa Photo Viewer? [​IMG]

This looks a bit too big as it's on a 1920x1080 screen but on a higher resolution it is readable
    I use the standard resolution on my 1080P AD screens and can read bridge without issue. To be honest I use Lightroom for image management and editing so don't have a need for Bridge but it is a good deal for free if you can get on with it *Smile

Barman58, Sep 1, 2016
  9. DavidA23 Win User
    You know, for years using Windows (Since Windows 3) I've always ignored Windows built in apps and gone off & found alternatives.
    So as usual for me, when I installed Windows 10 I immediately went off and installed Picasa as a photo viewer.
    But after the suggestion by Steve C that the built-in Photos app is quite good I tried it.
    And he's right, it is pretty good and an excellent replacement for Picasa Photo Viewer. Thanks Steve.

As I mentioned in my post I already use Lightroom, Bridge & Photoshop & Bridge is far more of a photo organiser than a viewer - far to bloated for a simple viewer.

Thanks. All of these are applications that do much more than a viewer. Yes, so is Picasa but I only ever use the stand-alone Photo Viewer.

So Photos is the answer I was looking for. Now, all I need to find is a method of changing the slideshow speed (something that Picasa Photo Viewer lacked).

Thank you all for your help.

DavidA23, Sep 1, 2016
  10. DavidA23 Win User
    In fact Photos is better than Picasa Photo Viewer in that it directly plays videos as well, the 'Collection' option is also pretty good.
    What a pleasant surprise.

DavidA23, Sep 1, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    The Photos app is good for basic viewing but it doesn't seem to have a zoom function. The slide show interval seems to be fixed but I just use the left/right arrows or mouse wheel to move through the photos. Note there is an enhance function you might want to turn off. I have an old version of ACDSee which I sometimes use for viewing when I want to zoom in.

Steve C, Sep 1, 2016
  12. DavidA23 Win User
    True, no zoom button but it does have an 'actual size' button. I checked and found that slide show interval adjustment is not yet supported but there's many requests for it at MS feedback. Hopefully soon.
    And yes I have turned off the 'enhance' feature

DavidA23, Sep 1, 2016
  13. DavidA23 Win User

Actually, next to the actual size button are + & - signs that do zoom in & out.

DavidA23, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Direct equivalent to Picasa Photo Viewer? - Similar Threads - Direct equivalent Picasa

2. Photo Viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo Viewer: My photos are resizing automatically. I have photos saved to an external drive. When I view a single photo from the drive the photo shows at the size it was saved. However if I access the drive through explorer to view all of the photos in the file they start resizing after 2...
  3. Photo viewer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Photo viewer: Can this piece of literal shit get any worse? Most notable issues: - Random massive memory leaks which consume your system's entire memory and grinds everything to a halt unless you realize what's going on quickly enough and force close it. - Literally can't handle opening...
  4. Picasa Photo Viewer alternative?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Picasa Photo Viewer alternative?: For people who have used Picasa photo viewer in the past or currently. Have you found an alternative? or anything close to it? Why Picasa is my go to for 13-14 years - It is extremely fast, light weight and smooth. It feels like an Apple product made by mistake by Google. It...
  5. Photo viewer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photo viewer: Hi! This problem is listed as resolved in the forum, but the given solutions did not work for me. I have Photos the preferred MS app for this function selected as my default Photo Viewer and yet I cannot open .jpg files. Why doesn't the MS product work with Windows 10?...
  6. delete Picasa photos & uninstall.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    delete Picasa photos & uninstall.: Will deleting Picasa photos & then uninstall it effect my photos that I have in Google photos? Thank you!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-picasa-photos-uninstall/c2c336cf-57ad-4c86-aa66-76cadc4f255e"
  7. Picasa

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Picasa: What takes the place of Picasa that is just as good? One that edits photos. Thank you!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/picasa/4fbab82f-2fa1-406b-8353-e72b03d1290f
  8. Picasa and Microsoft PHotos

Picasa and Microsoft PHotos: How do I up load my Picasa picture folders on my PC? If I can will they show the folder names etc as in Picasa https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/picasa-and-microsoft-photos/0fa01e88-2e30-415f-a104-10ca9cf81a07
  9. picasa

picasa: in the cloud i can't openpictures. file heading says picasa do i need to down load that to see pictures https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/picasa/55b03208-0204-4032-82a4-4df2176d5cf9
  10. Microsoft Photos and Picasa

Microsoft Photos and Picasa: Can I upload my Picasa folders to photos? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/microsoft-photos-and-picasa/ab1cfaa9-d8ab-4216-9e44-135728f59ef9