Windows 10: Directory file count

Discus and support Directory file count in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does anyone know of a program that when run will give you the number of files in each directory. Thanks Shane. 63754 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Auskart, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Auskart Win User

Directory file count

Does anyone know of a program that when run will give you the number of files in each directory.

Thanks Shane.

:)

Auskart, Sep 14, 2016
  2. ogord Win User

Corruption in Messages/Call Logs. Can't delete, or send messages.

Hi...

I'm here again cpitchford, sorry Directory file count :( I still have the problem, well, I think that maybe the files system it's wrong. I entered the command fsck.ext3 -n -f /dev/mmcblk0p2 and got this:

e2fsck 1.41.3.maemo0 (12-Oct-2008)

fsck.ext3: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...

Pass 1: checking inodes, blocks, and sizes

Pass 2: checking directory structure

Pass 3: checking directory connectivity

Pass 4: checking reference counts

Pass5: checking group summary information

Free blocks count wrong for group #9 (32125, counted=32124) .

Fix? no

Free blocks count wrong for group #14 (32254, counted=30069) .

Fiz? no

Free blocks count wrong (513233, counted=511047) .

Fix? no

Free inodes count wrong for group #9 (8192, counted=8191) .

Fix? no

Directories count wrong for group #9 (0, counted=1) .

Fix? no

Free inodes count wrong for group #14 (8192, counted=8076) .

Fix? no

Directories count wrong for group #14 (0, counted=9) .

Fix? no

Free inodes count wrong (131061, counted=130944) .

Fix? no

/dev/mmcblk0p2: ********** WARNING: Filesystem still has errors **********

/dev/mmcblk0p2: 11/131072 files (9.1% non-contiguous), 11055/524288 blocks

that's it... well there is a warning with the files system, that confirm my guess?? I don't know, could you tell me what can I do?

Thanks a lot...

ogord, Sep 14, 2016
  3. PaulC_1 Win User
    Only some of the photos in camera roll are synced to my PC

OK, I'm going to suggest things that may seem obvious and which you possibly have already tried, but I am asking them just to help isolote the issue.

Please clarify a couple of things:

1. Check what the actual path is to this directory from Zune: Settings, Phone, Pictures & Videos - and look for "Zune saves pictures and videos form your phone etc..." option and see what directory is listed there)

2. Have you tried searching from your PC desktop for one of the pictures with a (2) or (3) next to them -- from your PC using the Search feature on WinXP, or the Desktop Search feature for Vista/WIn7? Search for: WP_*.jpg

Further clarification:

The reason some pictures have (2)'s or (3)'s next to them is because your Computer found other files in the same directory with the same file name as the ones you are importing from the phone. It renamed the new ones by adding (2) or (3) next to them. If Zune
    is doing this, then the images with (2)' and (3)'s must have been in the same directory as older photos of the same name when they were first imported by Zune. {Edit: This sounds like it happened when you appended the same photos from the CD-ROM to the ones
    already in this directory.]

To explain, the Camera Roll starts naming photos as WP_000001.jpg; WP_000002.jpg; WP_000003.jpg; etc.

If you import these photos to your computer, Zune keeps the file name and saves it to your default import directory for pics and videos. I found that when I reset my phone, the Camera Roll is obviously empty and so starts the file name count for new photos
    stored on the phone from scratch - WP_000001.jpg.

Now when I import the new photos to my computer, Zune looks in the import directory on my PC and sees that WP_000001.jpg already exists there, and so saves the newly imported file as WP_000001 (2).jpg. If for whatever reason (a phone reset perhaps) the Camera
    Roll has restarted the naming count for photos, then Zune will import the new photo, and seeing that the same file name exists in the import directory, will save the new photo as the same filename but with a (3) next to it. [EDIT: Zune will do this too if
    you copy the same pictures from the ones you burnt onto a CD-ROM and appended to this directory)

3. Go to the Camera Roll directory on your PC via the Window's file explorer, and sort the photos by "Name" and see if any group of photos in the list show up in a pattern similar to this:

WP_000001

WP_000001 (2)

WP_000001 (3)

If not then it is possible that the ones with (2) and (3) beside them are in a subdirectory of My Pictures or some other place on your PC. Please try a desktop search mentioned in step 2. above.

PaulC

EDIT: Again without meaning to state the obvious, but when you are in Zune software, "collection", "Pictures", under Albums, instead of clicking on the "My Pictures -- Nokia Lumia 900 -- Camera Roll" menu, just click on "My Pictures -- Nokia Lumia 900" and
    see if the count of photos changes at all. Right now I have a couple of directorys on my pc under "My Pictures -- Nokia Lumia 800" Clicking on the Parent directory will include a count and display of all photos from the subdirectories.

PaulC_1, Sep 14, 2016
  4. kado897 Win User

Directory file count

WinDirStat can do that.WinDirStat

kado897, Sep 14, 2016
  5. RolandJS Win User
    I don't know if Windows 8+ and/or Windows 10 have this, however, in Windows 7 Professional, from within Explorer, go to Organize, go to Layout, click on Menu Bar [if you want it], click on Details Pane.

RolandJS, Sep 14, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    In Windows 10, you must go through the View tab at the top of File Explorer, but yes, it seems to work the same way using the Details Pane to examine folders. You get an item count on a per-folder basis. It's not clear from the OP's post if he or she wants this info for folders one at a time -- which this will provide -- or all at once, which requires something somewhat different. For the latter, I'm guessing some batch file or PowerShell magic would do the trick.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Directory file count

1. Directory file count - Similar Threads - Directory file count

2. "No such file or directory"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "No such file or directory": Hi.I installed a library for VS Code called "SDL2" and when I include it in my code editor, it seems fine at first but when I run my code, I keep getting this error that I can't resolve: "SDL2/SDL.h: No such file or directory."This is where the file is located:...
  3. "No such file or directory"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "No such file or directory": Hi.I installed a library for VS Code called "SDL2" and when I include it in my code editor, it seems fine at first but when I run my code, I keep getting this error that I can't resolve: "SDL2/SDL.h: No such file or directory."This is where the file is located:...
  4. "No such file or directory"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Directory: Can you compare the content of two different directories in Windows 11?I have a Lenovo Yoga 7i with Microsoft Windows 11 Home Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621 Thank you for any information....
  6. File Directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Directory: Can you compare the content of two different directories in Windows 11?I have a Lenovo Yoga 7i with Microsoft Windows 11 Home Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621 Thank you for any information....
  7. File directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File directory: Is there anyway to revert back to the old format, this new one is awful. submitted by /u/Mystreanon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/nfm3lv/file_directory/
  8. ? on file counts during scans

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ? on file counts during scans: I have Malwarebytes paid on my 20H2 desktop. After running full scans with MB, it had shown 302k files. With Windows defender full scan showed 791k files . Why is that ? ...thanks in advance. 178962
  9. File explorer file count and size missing

File explorer file count and size missing: I just noticed this and I don't know if it's a new "feature" or bug; the File Explorer when I would select a group of files, at the very bottom of the File Explorer the is would list out how many files I selected. Or if I select a file, it would read out the size of such...
  10. Counting Different File Types

Counting Different File Types: I have a folder that has over 30,000 files, a combination of photos, gifs and movies. I'm trying to find a way to count the number of different file types within that one folder i.e. 20,000 .jpg; 2,500 .mov; 2,500 .avi etc. Is this possible? submitted by /u/5spdfrk [link]...