Windows 10: Dirty installation (repair) after Mobo change ?

Discus and support Dirty installation (repair) after Mobo change ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I know a clean installation is always preferred and I may have Windows licensing issues after changing hardware (I will buy a new license if I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ozshadow, Mar 17, 2016.

1. ozshadow Win User

Dirty installation (repair) after Mobo change ?

I know a clean installation is always preferred and I may have Windows licensing issues after changing hardware (I will buy a new license if I have to).

That being said, I have a relatively new Win 10 64 bit system (from upgrade) and I do not want to completely re-do the installation of literally everything I have again.

Can I either pre-install motherboard drivers before changing the mobo or do a dirty installation repair after changing the motherboard?

Does anyone have a step by step guide?

I have done this with older versions that worked perfectly, but it has been a while.

I plan to change from an i5-750 to an i7-4790k. The mobo and CPU will be swapped of course.

:)

ozshadow, Mar 17, 2016
  2. Datkur Win User

Files missing to create recovery media Win 10

After intermittent mobo problems and replacing mobo, tried to create recovery CD for Win 10. Message "cannot create recovery media, some files missing"

This is a dual boot Win 7 home premium 64bit system. Win 10 installed from iso CD on SSD after HD change but pre mobo change and no problems with CHKDSK now. How an I define missing files and replace them ? Possibility is that mobo caused corruption but
    system working OK and only problem is creating recovery CD/USB.

Datkur, Mar 17, 2016
  3. Changing motherboard

Hi! I would like to change my motherboard on the compter. Computer came with windows 10 installed on it.

How can I activate the windows after changing the mobo?

AgrisJakusko, Mar 17, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I built myself a new computer. My old motherboard/CPU/Memory/Graphics Card went to my father-in-law. Both his old motherboard and my old motherboard already had Windows 10 permanently licensed via digital entitlement. I just connected his hard drive to my old motherboard and it booted up just fine, Windows installed all the drivers for the new hardware with no issues. Since my old motherboard already had a digital entitlement for Windows 10, it stayed activated when connected to his Windows 10 hard drive.

Biggest thing you will want to do is when you shut down prior to connecting the old hard drive to new motherboard will be to hold down the shift key when you click shutdown. This will override Windows 10 fast startup and ensure that you are booting up from scratch. Your Windows 10 will deactivate when it starts up on the new motherboard and you will have to find a way to legally activate it but you shouldn't have too many problems with it loading the new drivers required while it is starting up the first time.

A clean install is best, but the dirty startup has gotten much better since the old Windows NT4 days.

NavyLCDR, Mar 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Dirty installation (repair) after Mobo change ? - Similar Threads - Dirty installation repair

2. Cant reactivate windows after mobo change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cant reactivate windows after mobo change: i changed mobos recently and cant reactivate windows. i tried all the troubleshooting techniques online and these forums. i dont have the option to see what product key is tied to my account. im not sure if my digital key is tied to my ms account. i purchased win10 from ms...
  3. Windows won't activate after MoBo change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't activate after MoBo change: I need to reactivate Windows after I changed MoBo and CPU. I get the below message when trying the troubleshooter. Please help as I should not need to buy another license when it was fine prior to the change....
  4. Activation after installing new Mobo

Activation after installing new Mobo: Hello, I recently purchased Windows 10 Home for a new build. The motherboard was bad, and it had to be switched out. After the new motherboard was switched out, windows wont let me activate because of the new motherboard. I have only owned this version of windows for a max of...
  5. Windows reactivation after mobo change

Windows reactivation after mobo change: Hello, I had a Windows 10 Pro licence before, but the mobo stopped functioning. I've changed my mobo and also the processor. It wants me to reactivate the Windows but it won't recognize the older key. Is there a way to transfer the key from the malfunctioning mobo to the new...
  6. Windows 10 activation after mobo change

Windows 10 activation after mobo change: Hi! I recently change my mobo and since then naturally windows is telling me to activate. mobo was completely bricked I do have my product license key and have tried entering it, tried running troubleshooting50+ times probably by now I have when i enter the license key i...
  7. Windows activation after mobo and cpu change

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows activation after mobo and cpu change: Hello, I've recently replaced my mobo and cpu and now my Windows 10 is not activated. Before the hardware upgrade I'd checked the activation was linked to my Windows account and I'm signed in on that same account post-upgrade but the troubleshooter isn't working. When I...
  8. Dirty Clean Installs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dirty Clean Installs: After three clean installs in a row, I found my efforts to fix my PC were undermined when each and every install was corrupt with an old slideshow on the new desktop, and some other settings that came from elsewhere/old pc from way back. Even with no internet hooked up for...
  9. Randomly BSOD after change MOBO

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Randomly BSOD after change MOBO: Hi guys, how are you doing? I'm facing a problem that's driving me crazy. 2 weeks before I've replaced my old MOBO(ASRock A320M-HD) that becomes intermittent and sometimes power on, sometimes don't, to a new MOBO(ASUS A320K/BR). My specs are: Ryzen 3 2200G @3.5Ghz stock...
  10. Windows Activation after mobo change

Windows Activation after mobo change: Hi I have a legitimate version of Windows that I got many years ago as Windows 7. I have since upgraded this to Windows 10 and no longer have the CD with my product key stated on it - as I assumed my license was tied to my digital account. I have recently upgraded my mobo...