Windows 10: Disable Adding Removable Drives to Index and Libraries in Windows 10

Discus and support Disable Adding Removable Drives to Index and Libraries in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Disable Adding Removable Drives to Index and Libraries in Windows 10 Enable or Disable Adding Locations on Removable Drives to Index and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Disable Adding Removable Drives to Index and Libraries in Windows 10

How to: Disable Adding Removable Drives to Index and Libraries in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Adding Locations on Removable Drives to Index and Libraries in Windows 10

Disable Adding Removable Drives to Index and Libraries in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed.

Libraries gather folders that are stored in different locations so you can browse them in one place. You can include folders and drives to a library as you like.

By default, users in Windows are able to add locations on removable drives to indexed locations.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the ability to add locations on removable drives to libraries and as indexed location for all users in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable adding locations on removable drives to libraries and indexed locations.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Adding Locations on Removable Drives to Index and Libraries in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Adding Locations on Removable Drives to Index and Libraries using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Adding removable drive to library and as indexed location

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Adding Locations on Removable Drives to Index and Libraries in Local Group Policy Editor

Note Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option TWO below.

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Search

3. In the right pane of Search in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Do not allow locations on removable drives to be added to libraries policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Adding Locations on Removable Drives to Index and Libraries
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Adding Locations on Removable Drives to Index and Libraries
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Adding Locations on Removable Drives to Index and Libraries using a REG file

Note The .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

DisableRemovableDriveIndexing DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Adding Locations on Removable Drives to Index and Libraries
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_adding_locations_on_removable_drives_to_libraries_and_index.reg

Download

3. To Disable Adding Locations on Removable Drives to Index and Libraries
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_adding_locations_on_removable_drives_to_libraries_and_index.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. Restart the computer to apply.

8. If you like, you can now delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 30, 2018

2. adding web folders in libraries

Hello,

I understand that you want to add web folders in your Windows 10 libraries. However, the folders should be indexed first. Note that adding folders to the index will allow them to be quickly searched, which is useful if you're having a hard time looking for
    a specific folder.

In line with that, you can use the Indexing Options. Just follow the steps below:

1. In the search box, type "indexing options" and select "Indexing Options" from the list of results.
    2. Click the "Modify" button.
    3. Expand the drives until you find the folder you want to add.
    4. Check the box for each folder you are adding.
    5. Click "OK" to save your changes.
    Your newly-selected folders will be added to the index. Note that this can take a while for folders containing a large number of files.

If you would like me to provide additional advice, simply respond to this thread. I will get notified and I’ll reply to you as soon as I can.

Michelle Vil, Oct 26, 2019
  3. windows 10 indexing and removing web results revisited

Hi,

Win 10 Pro version 1607

There alot of posts on these topics, and at least some are outdated. Hoping for some new insight that I couldn't find amongst all the older posts.

• Cortana web search suggestions interfere substantially in the usability of Windows 10 search functionality for me. How do I remove them entirely from the list of suggested results? There no longer seems to be a setting in Cortana to disable this.
    • Indexing has been "completed" on this new Windows 10 Pro machine. I have a 1TB data drive with 500GB of documents, images, videos, etc. The data drive is included in the indexed locations. Identically named files in one folder on the drive show up in
      search results, while those in another folder do not show up. Some word documents show up, others don't. Folder names also do not show up in the search results. The contents of this data drive were previously on a data drive in a Win7 machine, where the
      indexing and search results were instant, comprehensive, and accurate: the results list included any match or partial match of a file name, folder name, or (for certain file types) document content. How do I achieve a comparable level of performance in Windows
      10?
    Things I have tried:

• Running the troubleshooter as an administrator: no suggestions.
    • Rebuilding the index. I am unclear whether I "did this as an administrator". I did it while logged in as an administrator, but I cannot right click and run the Indexing Options "as an administrator".
    • I have verified that text document types (word docs, txt, etc.) have both properties and contents indexed.
    Thanks

Russell

RussellWyeth, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Disable Adding Removable Drives to Index and Libraries in Windows 10

Windows 10 Index locations not all showing up in search

Hello,

There might be some settings missing or corrupted.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to remove the D drive from the indexing and run the indexing troubleshooter.

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Press “Windows key + X” to click on “Control Panel”.

• Click on “Troubleshooting” and click on “View all”.

• Click on “Search and Indexing” to run the troubleshooter.

Once this is done, restart the computer and check if this helps.

Method 2:

Re –build the indexing by adding the D drive and verify the result.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Anju Thekkethil, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Map a network drive folder to my video library

Apparently I misinterpreted the "allow indexing" property as it applies to network drives.

When I went into the Control Panel Indexing Options I found that not only is my network drive not in the locations to be indexed, it also can't be added to that list. As a result, when I try to add a folder from the network drive to a library, I am told
    that the folder is not indexed and can't be added to the library.

If you know of a way to index a network drive folder, please let me know. Otherwise, thanks for your efforts.

Haim Shalom Snyder, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Disable Adding Removable Drives to Index and Libraries in Windows 10

1. Disable Adding Removable Drives to Index and Libraries in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disable Adding Removable

2. Windows media player is very slow at adding folders to the Video library "Indexing libraries"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows media player is very slow at adding folders to the Video library "Indexing libraries": Hello, so I'm trying to move my music over to the Windows 11 Media Player. I like the layout and design, but it's proving really troublesome to move my files over to it. If I remove all the files and only add a single folder, it goes smoothly and quickly. The folder gets...
  3. Windows media player is very slow at adding folders to the Video library "Indexing libraries"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows media player is very slow at adding folders to the Video library "Indexing libraries": Hello, so I'm trying to move my music over to the Windows 11 Media Player. I like the layout and design, but it's proving really troublesome to move my files over to it. If I remove all the files and only add a single folder, it goes smoothly and quickly. The folder gets...
  4. Terminate Windows Libraries Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Terminate Windows Libraries Indexing: I'm not happy with the way Libraries collects and displays files. The collection rules are far too broad, I already know where I put my files, and it has to be using resources my already slower system would really like to have back. So, my question is 2 part.Is libraries just...
  5. Terminate Windows Libraries Indexing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Terminate Windows Libraries Indexing: I'm not happy with the way Libraries collects and displays files. The collection rules are far too broad, I already know where I put my files, and it has to be using resources my already slower system would really like to have back. So, my question is 2 part.Is libraries just...
  6. Terminate Windows Libraries Indexing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Adding to library

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding to library: so I have Minecraft java and i want bedrock so i go to the microsoft store and ask for permission and its allowed but its been sitting on working on it for a couple of hours or so so I have java Minecraft and I wanted bedrock so i went to Microsoft store and did buy the I...
  8. is autorun.inf on a removable drive disabled on windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    is autorun.inf on a removable drive disabled on windows 10: I have a flash drive with an autorun.inf that changes the icon. The .ico file is located on the flash drive. When inserted it does not display that icon. Many of the posts about autorun vs autoplay and using the control panel, Windows 10 settings menu, group policy and /...
  9. Windows 10 Indexing by Library

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Indexing by Library: I'm looking for a way in Windows 10 to only search by library and only search 3 libraries. I want to be able to hit the Windows key, type a search term and only have results from Music, a custom library for full albums, and Video and nothing else. Is this possible?...
  10. How to disable or remove Ad Choices

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable or remove Ad Choices: It shows up when I am browsing. It takes up the middle of the screen and I can't close out of it. It is not in my program files on the add/delete page. Where is it hiding???? I see apps you can download for free but am wary of them. I can't go into the registry and try...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disableremovabledriveindexing

2. do not allow locations on removable drives