Windows 10: Disable Auto Arrange in Windows Explorer

Discus and support Disable Auto Arrange in Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; First off I used the forum search function and didn't fins any threads addressing this issue so I apologize in advance if this is a duplicated topic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Chronia, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Chronia Win User

Disable Auto Arrange in Windows Explorer

First off I used the forum search function and didn't fins any threads addressing this issue so I apologize in advance if this is a duplicated topic and I somehow missed it.

I have disliked this "feature" since windows 7 and I see they still have not restored the ability to manually sort without having to give every file a "tag". Note: I do not want to use windows live essentials as I hate photo gallery, so this is not an option. I used to be able to arrange my photos by dragging and dropping them next to another similar photo and it would snap to grid where I dropped it. This helps me eliminate duplicate pictures. I found this ink for windows 7:

Windows Explorer Auto Arrange - Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

However it says very clearly at the beginning not to use it for any other OS versions. Does any one know if this works for windows 10 as well or if there is a way to do it in windows 10? I would prefer a 3rd party program as oppose to editing my registry if it can be helped (all the things that need "fixing" for customization in windows 10 seem to always suggest a reg fix, but I am afraid to edit my registry too much).

I appreciate any help.

:)

Chronia, Nov 28, 2015

2. Rearranging picture order in Windows 7 and Windows 10

The developers removed the Auto-Arrange option in Windows 7. Either of these third party fixes will add it back so you can disable it.

How to Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 7? - The Winhelponline Blog

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-auto-arrange-folders-windows-7/

Windows 7 - Windows Explorer Auto Arrange - Disable

Windows Explorer Auto Arrange - Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums

For Win10:

Auto Arrange in Folders - Enable or Disable in Windows 10

Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10

Or:

How to Disable Full Row Select and Auto Arrange in Windows 10?

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/disable-full-row-select-auto-arrange-folders-windows-10/

Bruce Hagen, Nov 28, 2015
  3. Bruce Hagen, Nov 28, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Nov 28, 2015
  5. Chronia Win User
    Thanks for the info. The only problem with the first link is that is seems to only allow you to disable auto arrange of icons within certain views. I would like to disable it for all views. I also do not want to disable the snap to grid option, as this is actually useful. Since I am using it for pictures it does not make sense to be stuck in details view. Also since I am using it for pictures I usually need the thumbnails to be large or somewhere between large and extra large, so I need to be able to customize the icon size and still be able to disable the auto arrange. Any suggestions for that?

Chronia, Nov 29, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It works the same as it did in Windows 7 as for what you can do in certain views. The blue note box at the top of the tutorial will give you more details about that part.

When you disable auto arrange, you're not stuck with it. You will still be able to toggle auto arrange on/off for specific folders, and change the view settings as usual. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disable Auto Arrange in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Disable Auto Arrange

2. How to disable auto arrange?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable auto arrange?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/mergisi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/loj3a9/how_to_disable_auto_arrange/
  3. How To Disable Sorting And Auto Arrange In Folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How To Disable Sorting And Auto Arrange In Folders: I find this excruciatingly frustrating as a UX perspective. I want to sort the items in my folder the way I want them. Not by date, not by name, not some group by, etc. I like it the way it is in my desktop. I have it ordered manually the way I like it, why can't I do the...
  4. Disabling auto arrange in folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disabling auto arrange in folders: When is Microsoft going to let its users disable auto arrange in folders? I am not talking about the desktop here. All my files etc. that are in Folders are being aligned automatically and I want to move them around freely wherever I want. I could do this in Windows XP...
  5. Disable auto-arrange

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable auto-arrange: Why has Microsoft removed the option to turn off auto-arrange in Windows 10? Is there a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-auto-arrange/703204e2-f403-4045-bc21-d25c96752603"
  6. Disable Auto arrange inside a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable Auto arrange inside a folder: I have a folder named SHORTS on my Desktop, inside are shortcut icons for many programs i use often. I still have not been able to find a way to arrange in the order i want. If i move anything they just revert back to previous order. Also if i have another folder in the...
  7. Auto Arrange

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto Arrange: Anybody find a fix to disable auto arrange for items in a folder??? This is after the CU update??? 86428
  8. Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Auto Arrange in Folders in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial no longer works starting with the Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703. While you can still arrange items...
  9. auto arrange

in Windows 10 Support
    auto arrange: Has anybody figured out how to put files inside a folder, in the order you want them instead of Win 10 putting them in the order it wants?? This is after CU..... thanks tom 88107
  10. auto arrange

in Windows 10 Support
    auto arrange: I just downloaded bat file to stop auto arrange and now my screen is blank! WTH? I was trying to arrange a manuscript to send to editor. 25424