Windows 10: Disable automatic maintenance?

Discus and support Disable automatic maintenance? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Since the task Idle Maintenance and Regular Maintenance does not present in Task Scheduler anymore in Windows 10, does anyone know how to disable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by UltimateGTR, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Disable automatic maintenance?

Since the task Idle Maintenance and Regular Maintenance does not present in Task Scheduler anymore in Windows 10, does anyone know how to disable automatic maintenance?

:)

UltimateGTR, Aug 16, 2015
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 16, 2015
  4. Harpert Win User

Disable automatic maintenance?

If by automatic Maintenance you are referring to automatic Updates, indeed, there are no real settings to change.
    There are 3 options:

- Windows does everything for you and when your PC is untouched for some time, it might restart all by itself
    - Windows downloads all, but let's you decide when you want to restart
    - With Services.msc you can switch off automatic updates entirely (but als can't access the Windows Store)

For the second option, go to SETTINGS
    choose UPDATE & SECURITY
    choose Updates and Advanced

This is the easiest solution *Smile

Good luck

Harpert, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's not yet known how to disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10, but you can change the settings for it for now if you like.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 16, 2015
  6. Thanks for the reply but I want help about automatic maintenance and not automatic updates.

In windows 8, it can be disabled: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

Is there a way to do it in Windows 10?

UltimateGTR, Aug 16, 2015
  7. UltimateGTR, Aug 16, 2015
  8. hiphopper Win User

I suspect this is part of the new expectation with Windows 10. Remember that when Microsoft announced that Win10 would be a free upgrade they stated that users who took part in the free offer would be required to allow Microsoft to do automatic maintenance on their computers. You can change the time of day for automatic maintenance, and you can defer automatic Windows updates, but you cannot turn them off.

I don't see that ever changing. This was the contract Microsoft made with users for free upgrades in order to make sure more computers were kept up to date with security and performance fixes.

Mostly I think this was in response to Microsoft always having a bad reputation for security and their belief that mostly has been caused by people who bypass security fixes in Windows, or never upgrade at all. e.g. The millions of people who are still on XP...

hiphopper, Aug 17, 2015
  9. This feature is great for computer amateurs, but definitely not for power users!
    If I adjust the maintenance time to midnight when the computer is switch off, and uncheck allow wake computer up for maintenance, can this be a workaround to postpone the task?

UltimateGTR, Aug 17, 2015
  10. Snakeyes Win User
    It will perform the maintenance the next time the computer is turned on. At least that's what it did on my PC

I also consider myself a semi-power user, (have built and overclocked computers for the last 15 years), but this "maintenance" seems kind of unusual and powerful. Whether the capabilities are built into Windows 10 or its maintenance program, my PC has been steadily getting faster and more stable. I have gone from fairly large number of warnings and errors under Administrative Events in event viewer to next to none with no actions on my part. My boot times are now, very fast with no 100 warnings on boot and below five seconds warnings on Shutdown Performance Monitoring in event viewer. My suggestion is to let this maintenance do its thing till Windows 10 reaches a point of reasonable maturity and relative standardization.

Snakeyes, Aug 17, 2015
  11. rseiler Win User
    It's surprising that this hasn't been found yet. Whether it's called idle, automatic (though I'm not speaking of when it happens at a scheduled time), or something else entirely, it can be seen, at least here, when you don't touch the PC for about 4 minutes or longer (and it's not set to go to sleep before that time, of course).

If you have Task Manager on the tray, you'll see it turn almost completely green, indicating CPU activity, and there's disk activity as well. It's really hard to comprehend that this is a good design, since it does it compulsively.

rseiler, Oct 13, 2015
  12. Yes I wonder who in Microsoft think this is a good idea, and the scheduled time is not working property, some users report the maintenance trigger itself and don't follow the user set time. This is not good for Windows 10 since casual users will just think Windows 10 is slow and complain then tell their friends don't upgrade. We power users have to dig the task scheduler to disable the corresponding tasks manually one by one, I suggest Microsoft will truly listen opinions.

UltimateGTR, Oct 16, 2015
  13. AveYo Win User

Why is this still a mystery to you?
    Scheduled tasks have not changed much since Windows 7 era: WinSAT, Customer Experience Improvement Program, Application Experience, Disk Diagnostics, Offline Files. Only few are new, like the Power Efficiency Diagnostics, File History or Store App updates included in AU. Most of the ugly stuff is now part of the improved (abusive?) telemetry (CEIP).

But what you might not know, is that the most disrespectful tasks are the .NET Framework maintenance ones. Those have zero respect for battery life or cpu cycles if already running intensive tasks. I have caught them time and time again contesting my late night gaming habits. I don't have solid proof yet, but I suspect some apps are exploiting the critical-marked ones (waketorun,runonbattery) to expedite their installs/compiles/updates.

I might follow up on this with a list of tasks and their scheduled times in a easy to use format so you can delay/disable the ones you have no need for.

AveYo, Oct 16, 2015
  14. I have disabled about 50 Windows tasks, but maintenance still runs.
    I have thought, that maybe this one is it, but the maintenance still runs.

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Diagnosis\Scheduled" /Disable

TairikuOkami, Oct 16, 2015
  15. rseiler Win User
    Yeah, that's why it's a mystery to me. Which one specifically is the one that activates every time after ~4 mins of inactivity? The others don't bother me nearly as much, since they seem more intelligently scheduled.

It may or may not be the same as what was in 8.x, I never looked into it back then.

rseiler, Oct 16, 2015
Thema:

1. Disable automatic maintenance? - Similar Threads - Disable automatic maintenance

2. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  3. Automatic maintenance behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic maintenance behavior: I'm running Windows 10 Version 20H2 on an HP Laptop. I only use the laptop briefly every day and then shut it down. Since I shut down after use, I do not have automatic maintenance turned on as a task, rather I run it myself every day before shutting down. I've noticed when I...
  4. Automatic Maintenance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Automatic Maintenance: This feature was accessed about 45 minutes ago and is still running. How do I get it to complete the maintenance, please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-maintenance/40119d17-0c2e-41b4-9982-19d4ec0cfe38
  5. How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to disable "Automatic maintenance"?: The Windows 8.1 method is not working... I cannot find "Idle Maintenance" under TaskScheduler anymore!!! 63833
  6. how to disable automatic maintenance in Windows 10?

how to disable automatic maintenance in Windows 10?: I'd like to turn of automatic maintenance, just like i did in Windows 8/8.1. It was easy and straight forward, but in Windows 10 it seems they took the options away in task scheduler. Frustrating since i do not want my computer looking for updates or running maintenance every...
  7. Automatic Maintenance Bug?

Automatic Maintenance Bug?: I did am no Malware. Also it has not done it again since the reboot.
  8. Automatic maintenance and windows.old

Automatic maintenance and windows.old: I know windows.old can be purged by the user but I am curious about how often disk clean up runs as part of automatic maintenance. After the upgrade to fall creators both our machines were left with sizeable 20 odd gigs of windows.old i left it about ten days and then gave...
  9. How to disable automatic maintenance?

How to disable automatic maintenance?: I want to disable automatic maintenance because my new SSD is arriving soon, and since SSDs have a limited life span, I want to preserve them as much as possible. ( I know modern SSDs can last a loooooooooong time, I just want to be super careful with mine. *Smile)...
  10. Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Automatic Maintenance in Windows 10 Automatic Maintenance is when Windows automatically runs maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using your computer. This includes...