Windows 10: Disable automatic reboot for updates

Discus and support Disable automatic reboot for updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mauvai, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Mauvai Win User

Disable automatic reboot for updates

Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone. How do I disable this? I don't have windows pro and thus cant use gpedit. The registry keys various pages suggested editing don't seem to exist.

I don't want to turn off windows update, I just want my laptop to never ever restart on its own, its a ridiculous "feature".

Any help much appreciated

:)

Mauvai, Aug 16, 2015

2. Disable automatic reboot on updates - Windows 10 Pro anniversary update

The WAU is for the most part a clean install. That's why you have a "Go back to an earlier build" option that is good for 10 day's and the corresponding Windows.old folder to go along with it, for 10 day's.

The experience of others proves that such settings as gp are not reverted but set to default, by default.

RichardEiler, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Disable automatic reboot on updates - Windows 10 Pro anniversary update

Just one more reason to not like Windows. As a web developer I also cannot have my system rebooting in the middle of the night. It takes me 20 minutes in the morning just to get my IDE, shell consoles, browser windows opened back up and functional whenever
    a reboot is required. MAJOR productivity hit! After my latest encounter with the un-solicited reboot I've decided to install Linux and dual boot Windows, only booting into Windows when I absolutely need it, and running Windows dev VMs in Linux for testing
    Edge and IE. No easy way to disable auto-reboot? Really Microsoft? This is SUCH a stupid idea.

Spuddermax, Aug 16, 2015
  4. ltj22 Win User

I thought it was set to reboot next day as default...mine is..I hated it when it used to reboot without telling me..

Len

ltj22, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Harpert Win User
    It's alot easier than that

Go to SETTINGS
    Updates and Security
    Updates
    Advanced options

Choose how Updates are installed
    Notify to schedule restart

Good Luck

Harpert, Aug 16, 2015
  6. Mauvai Win User
    No, it isn't. The last few times the notification was missed, as i had something full screen, so windows scheduled it all by itself, and promptly restarted without telling me. I want to permanently disable windows' ability to restart by itself

Mauvai, Aug 16, 2015
  7. NCguy Win User
    Mine is exactly the opposite. Its now got two cum updates scheduled, been running the whole time, no manual schedule set, and it won't force restart. I actually need for it to force restart because it's an unattended pc.

NCguy, Aug 18, 2015
  8. Mauvai Win User

Mauvai, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disable automatic reboot for updates - Similar Threads - Disable automatic reboot

2. Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled: I am at my last straw. This problem appears around community multiple times and no real solution has been given. OP`s usually just disappear. I have tried all suggestions. From driver updates, fresh installs, PSU swap, UPS swap, power cable swap, even replaced CPU cooler.PC...
  3. Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled: I am at my last straw. This problem appears around community multiple times and no real solution has been given. OP`s usually just disappear. I have tried all suggestions. From driver updates, fresh installs, PSU swap, UPS swap, power cable swap, even replaced CPU cooler.PC...
  4. Windows 10 reboots without error Automatic reboot disabled

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Disable automatic logon on startup/reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable automatic logon on startup/reboot: Hi, I have several local account on my windows 11 PC without password. can i disable log on automatically to the last used account on startup / after reboot?andHow to set logon to specific user account on startup?Regards,Galih....
  6. Disable automatic logon on startup/reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable automatic logon on startup/reboot: Hi, I have several local account on my windows 11 PC without password. can i disable log on automatically to the last used account on startup / after reboot?andHow to set logon to specific user account on startup?Regards,Galih....
  7. Disable the automatic updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable the automatic updates: Hi How do I disable the automatic updates completely on every edition of Windows 10 20H2? Thanks Bye 170059
  8. Disable automatics updates

Disable automatics updates: How to disable automatic updates in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-automatics-updates/d6484564-a7b1-4fd7-bd15-520dd58072cf
  9. How to disable automatic update reboots in Windows 10?

How to disable automatic update reboots in Windows 10?: Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.523) Even if you have pause updates, Windows 10 installs security updates. That is reasonable. However, it is not reasonable that Windows asks you if you want to delay the update and does not wait for an answer. Specifically,...
  10. Disable automatic reboot for updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable automatic reboot for updates: Windows 10 seems to like rebooting without my permission - such as when I have a fullscreen game open, and I also miss the notification to postpone. How do I disable this? I don't have windows pro and thus cant use gpedit. The registry keys various pages suggested editing...