Windows 10: Disable 'Blur Behind' Menu

Discus and support Disable 'Blur Behind' Menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This simple Registry Tweak will disable the 'blur' effect behind the transparent Menu and Taskbar in Build 10074 and later. (Perform this tweak only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Edwin, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Edwin New Member

Disable 'Blur Behind' Menu

This simple Registry Tweak will disable the 'blur' effect behind the transparent Menu and Taskbar in Build 10074 and later.

(Perform this tweak only if you are familiar and comfortable with making changes to the Windows Registry)

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize in the Windows Registry
    and toggle the EnableBlurBehind value to 0.

Close the Registry and restart Explorer.

Disable 'Blur Behind' Menu [​IMG]

:)

Edwin, Apr 29, 2015
  2. Riel Alc Win User

Windows 10: Unable to turn off start menu blur behind.

Hi,

Currently, the stated registry key is the only way to enable and disable Blur Behind Menu.

You may visit our Microsoft Feedback Hub to send your valuable feedback to us.

Thank you.

Riel Alc, Apr 29, 2015
  3. RonRabaut Win User
    I have no transparency in my start menu and window frames but my taskbar does.

As it is, I can barely see any translucency at all. And that's looking at the start menu with a white window on a dark background behind it. The transition between the two slightly different colors is gradual. I wouldn't call it a blur effect. The calculator
    app (using the dark theme) has a much more prominent translucent effect and I could call that a blur effect.

RonRabaut, Apr 29, 2015
  4. f14tomcat Win User

That's kinda neat, Edwin. Have you experimented with the other settings yet? I'll let you blow up your machine first! *chuckle

f14tomcat, Apr 29, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    Now that you mention it, yes. I did also add the SystemUsesLightTheme DWORD with a value of 0.

(In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize create a SystemUsesLightTheme DWORD and set it's value to 0)

Edwin, Apr 29, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Thanks for the tip.. works like a charm. *Smile

BunnyJ, Apr 29, 2015
  7. Dude Win User
    Nice one Edwin, I don't mind the blur. I had to create the SystemUsesLightTheme DWORD but like it!

8. Edwin New Member

Correct! I'll edit that post a bit! *Wink

Edwin, Apr 29, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    I use The Classic Shell and it works well for what I use.

10. Since you'll be editing anyway...

Task Manger (press 'more details' if necessary),
    Right click Windows Explorer (easy to locate if you look for the icon)
    Select Restart
    edit: courtesy member Cliff S and WinBeta

Here's what Microsoft had to say:
    "We’ve also heard loud in clear that many Windows Insiders want to see Aero Glass from Windows 7 make a comeback. We’ve been working out how to satisfy this request, and are trying some things out with this build to see how you like them.

We’re running a little A/B test with this build. 50% of you will normal transparency on the Start menu and taskbar while the other 50% will see a blur effect on the Start menu and taskbar (like frosted glass). If Windows Insiders really like the blur effect, we will add it to more areas and even consider making it the default instead of standard transparency.

Which one did you get? Send us feedback about it via the Windows Feedback app!"
    I'm normal ... er ... my transparency is normal *Wink

Slartybart, Apr 30, 2015
  11. Edwin New Member
    ??? Where's the logic behind that???
    That's just more confusion in my opinion.

Edwin, Apr 30, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    With the tweak from the OP here's what my desktop looks like now:

BunnyJ, Apr 30, 2015
  13. Disable 'Blur Behind' Menu

Oh, that looks so much better now.

blackroseMD1, Apr 30, 2015
  14. Slartybart, Apr 30, 2015
  15. Your tweak in post #3 works like a charm Edwin, another good one would be the clock & calender.

PS: I gotta spread the rep around.

IownAmoneyPit, May 1, 2015
Thema:

1. Disable 'Blur Behind' Menu - Similar Threads - Disable 'Blur Behind'

2. Widgets Menu Blurred in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Widgets Menu Blurred in Windows 11: Hi there, Around a week I've installed Win11 on my Laptop but its Widgets menu is appearing blurred....at my first boot in Win11, the Widgets menu seemed clear but I wasn't connected to the internet so I closed it, but in the next boot, I connected internet and tried Widgets...
  3. Widgets Menu Blurred in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Widgets Menu Blurred in Windows 11: Hi there, Around a week I've installed Win11 on my Laptop but its Widgets menu is appearing blurred....at my first boot in Win11, the Widgets menu seemed clear but I wasn't connected to the internet so I closed it, but in the next boot, I connected internet and tried Widgets...
  4. How to disable the accent color of Start menu and keep it blur

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to disable the accent color of Start menu and keep it blur: How to disable the accent color of Start menu and keep it blur? I like the Acrylic effect but the color can't be remove. Is someone there can tell me how to do? If the method has to use regedit, it's ok. Thanks a lot....
  5. Start menu blur error on Windows 10

Start menu blur error on Windows 10: I cannot activate transparency effects now blur on the start menu or apps even while getting it on the taskbar. I already did everything and the most weird thing is that when I go the personalize folder the dword "EnableBlurBehind" is missing. I tried creating it but didn't...
  6. A black screen behind the start menu.

A black screen behind the start menu.: As of 4-7-20. every time I click on the start icon I lose my desktop picture and get a black screen behind the start menu? When I click back out again my desktop photo returns. Any suggestions?...
  7. The Desktop Photo Behind The Start Menu?

The Desktop Photo Behind The Start Menu?: I have a solid black screen now when I click on the start button were I used to see the Desk Top photo behind the start menu? HELP! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-desktop-photo-behind-the-start-menu/c133610b-d6c4-41df-a3af-f9ab78f95aa8
  8. Wanted to disable Acrylic Blur from start menu and taskbar

Wanted to disable Acrylic Blur from start menu and taskbar: Hi, I am using 1903 version of windows 10 just wanted to remove acrylic blur from start menu and task bar to get a clear transparency effect . Thanks....
  9. Disable blur effect - not transparency

Disable blur effect - not transparency: Is there a way in Windows 10 to disable the blur effect but keep the transparency. (I know there was one in the early builds of Windows 10 when Microsoft was testing the blur effect. ) 31621
  10. Start menu is shy; it's hiding behind the taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu is shy; it's hiding behind the taskbar: Hi. Today, out of the blue, my start menu has started to hide behind the taskbar. It's rather annoying, as the area you type in is obscured by the taskbar now so I cannot see what is being typed: [img] I rebooted, no dice. Unlocked/relocked the taskbar, no dice. Moved...