Windows 10: Disable downloading of all Windows Defender Updates?

Discus and support Disable downloading of all Windows Defender Updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, is there a way to disable downloading or opt-out of all Windows Defender Updates through Windows Update? I don't understand why M$ updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by nosecureboot, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Disable downloading of all Windows Defender Updates?

Hi, is there a way to disable downloading or opt-out of all Windows Defender Updates through Windows Update?

I don't understand why M$ updates Windows Defender multiple times per day and I'd rather update Windows Defender manually. Thanks.

:)

nosecureboot, Jul 27, 2015
  2. Le Boule Win User

windows 10 Defender & Mcafee Livesafe

If you downloaded and installed McAfee, then Windows Defender should
    have been disabled.

If Windows Defender is not disabled, then there is a problem.

Le Boule, Jul 27, 2015
  3. Mark_800 Win User
    How do I stop Windows Update downloading Defender Definition Updates

I'm running Windows 10.

I have Kaspersky installed and therefore have Windows Defender disabled. However every day Windows Update downloads a Defender Definitions update.

This is pointless, a useless waste of time and network resource - precisely because Windows Defender is disabled on my PC as I don't use it.

How do I stop Windows Update from downloading the useless and redundant Defender Definitions updates ?

Mark_800, Jul 27, 2015
  4. Disable downloading of all Windows Defender Updates?

Shadow Delta, Jul 27, 2015
  5. Does hiding any single Windows Defender Update on Windows Update (via the tool) hide all subsequent Windows Defender Updates on Windows Update?

Thanks, however your solution may not be very functional.

nosecureboot, Jul 27, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    Microsoft updates windows defender as new threats are added to the database so you always have the most recent protection. Windows doesn't download them every time its updated. It downloads them, typically once per day. However, those of us waiting for new patches or builds tend to spam the Check Now button multiple times per day, so the downloads happen more frequently.

Under normal circumstances, it will only update once per day. Why are you concerned? Why do you want to be less secure?

Mystere, Jul 27, 2015
  7. Drybonz Win User
    Unfortunately, in Windows 10 you can't without using the method someone listed above that would involve babysitting new updates that you don't want and manually hiding them as they come up.

It's perfectly reasonable to want to be able to control those updates like you always have in the past. Ignore anyone who might want to make you feel like this is unreasonable. They just don't have a better answer for you. Sorry.

Drybonz, Jul 27, 2015
  8. Disable downloading of all Windows Defender Updates?

I don't want Windows Defender updates daily, it's that simple. It's not less secure or not that much less secure and how less secure it is is not something that can be discussed much, so why even say it's less secure?

Also, I check for updates manually many times per day and I get many Windows Defender Updates per day. Just like the auto-update driver issue, the Windows Defender update frequency (or the lack of adjustment) is unreasonable.

nosecureboot, Jul 28, 2015
  9. You can try using another security suit, which will disable windows defender and prevent it from updating.
    Try Avast! Free antivirus, It's update size are also small, only around some KB's in size.

Shadow Delta, Jul 28, 2015
  10. Faslane Win User
    It wouldn't be less secure whatsoever. MANY programs such as Nod32, Avast, malwarebytes etc etc are far better than crappy old Windows defender. Anyone running Defender as their sole protection is nutes and asking for trouble. it's horrible.

Faslane, Sep 9, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    You obviously do not do research or check reviews from independent sources. Defender now gets ratings on a par with most other free versions for antivirus.

These days malware is really a bigger risk and the best protection is COMMON SENSE ie care on sites, not clicking any old link, using custom install rather than recommended, researching tools you might want to download etc.

However, it is good to scan now and then with malwarebytes free

Defender + malwarebytes free + common sense is perfectly adequate for most users.

cereberus, Sep 9, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    First para - of course not updating daily is less secure than say weekly. Equally not updating hourly is less secure than daily etc. Whether the risk difference is significant is a different issue eg if you visit dodgy websites daily, the updating weekly carries a higher risk.

Second para - why are you checking for updates many times a day. I usually manually check twice a day in morning and evening and I have never ended up with a forced restart.

I find it hard to believe you when you say you get many defender updates a day. You normally only get one day - why would you be different?

cereberus, Sep 9, 2016
  13. Faslane Win User

Disable downloading of all Windows Defender Updates?

I think we're agreeing on the sane thing. I haven't had malware or a virus in months at least. But I disabled windows defender a year ago. It's crap.

Faslane, Sep 9, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    No I am not agreeing with you in the slightest. Defender may not perfect but a damn sight better than nothing. If you have not had any viruses, that is probably serendipity.

It is basically idiotic to disable Defender without using a 3rd party alternative.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Disable downloading of all Windows Defender Updates?

1. Disable downloading of all Windows Defender Updates? - Similar Threads - Disable downloading Defender

2. If Windows Update was disable when I enable it will it download all previous updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If Windows Update was disable when I enable it will it download all previous updates?: I've had Windows Updates disabled on Windows 10 for a very long time.I'm wondering if I enable Windows Updates will it use a large amount of data to download all previous updates.I saw that each update is around 15GB. I'm worried it will use a very large amount of data if it...
  3. If Windows Update was disable when I enable it will it download all previous updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If Windows Update was disable when I enable it will it download all previous updates?: I've had Windows Updates disabled on Windows 10 for a very long time.I'm wondering if I enable Windows Updates will it use a large amount of data to download all previous updates.I saw that each update is around 15GB. I'm worried it will use a very large amount of data if it...
  4. Windows Defender All disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender All disabled: Hello, I can't access my Virus and Threat protection. and in my registry editor windows defender is all disabled, and I've tried to turn it back on but cant. I tried a lot of foxes and nothing helps....
  5. Windows Defender All disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender All disabled: Hello, I can't access my Virus and Threat protection. and in my registry editor windows defender is all disabled, and I've tried to turn it back on but cant. I tried a lot of foxes and nothing helps....
  6. Disable and Uninstall all Windows Defender Updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable and Uninstall all Windows Defender Updates: I have issues with programming radios on a statewide system and I think I have narrowed the issue down to Windows Defender. I recently reset my laptop, and disabled automatic updates right away. Now I see that the windows defender is still updating itself. How do I...
  7. Updating Defender when Windows Update is disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Updating Defender when Windows Update is disabled: My Windows Update is disabled(I update when I see that updates don't break anything). I had Avast so no problem with updating this antivirus. Is there any way to make Defender update even if Windows Update is disabled? Of course, automatically, manually updating an antivirus...
  8. downloading updates for windows defender

downloading updates for windows defender: i tried to download updates but it keeps responding,"updates could not be installed" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-protectwindows8_1/downloading-updates-for-windows-defender/a4ac0a4b-a978-4331-9384-b653463711be
  9. downloading updates for windows defender

downloading updates for windows defender: i tried to download updates, but it keeps responding,"updates could not be installed" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-protectwindows8_1/downloading-updates-for-windows-defender/04b93e05-6f1e-4ac9-a8a0-5a1d07c0cff0
  10. Disable Windows Update download?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable Windows Update download?: Is there a way to totally disable Windows Update like the last versions? I maxed my data because I think Windows Update doesn't recognize my phone's mobile hotspot as a "metered connection". Either that or it simply doesn't work for all metered connections. I checked...