Windows 10: Disable Driver Update

Discus and support Disable Driver Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Howdy, System Properties > Hardware > Device Installation Settings Here I want to: 1. No, let me choose what to do 2. Never install driver... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by omidsolo, Nov 30, 2015.

1. omidsolo Win User

Disable Driver Update

Howdy,

System Properties > Hardware > Device Installation Settings
    Here I want to:
    1. No, let me choose what to do
    2. Never install driver software from Windows Update
    3. Disable Automatically get the device app...
    As shown in the snapshot.

I want to do the above steps via registry (.reg file) or a .bat/.cmd file.
    Anyone can help me which keys to modify?
    Cheers.

Disable Driver Update [​IMG]

:)

omidsolo, Nov 30, 2015
  2. Kaisonic Win User

Cannot Disable VIA Audio Driver Automatic Update

TL;DR version:

Windows 10 updates, including Device Manager automatic driver updates, can be disabled with this Group Policy:

Administrative Templates -> System -> Internet Communication Mangement -> Internet Communication settings -> "Turn off access to all Windows Update features" enabled

Full post:

Since Microsoft was SO helpful here [/sarcasm] I decided to take a closer look at the available Group Policy options. (Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc). First I tried these settings:

Administrative Templates -> System -> Device Installation -> "Specify search order for device driver source locations" enabled, set to "Do not search Windows Update"

Administrative Templates -> System -> Driver Installation -> "Turn off Windows Update device driver search prompt" enabled

Administrative Templates -> System -> Internet Communication Mangement -> Internet Communication settings -> "Turn off Windows Update device driver searching" enabled

Administrative Templates -> System -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> "Configure Automatic Updates" enabled, set to "2 - Notify for download and notify for install"

Administrative Templates -> System -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> "Allow Automatic Updates immediate installation" disabled

I then ran my audio driver setup file, but after a restart, Windows immediately installed a new driver. So that didn't work.

I finally resorted to this option:

Administrative Templates -> System -> Internet Communication Mangement -> Internet Communication settings -> "Turn off access to all Windows Update features" enabled

I noticed that the description includes "This policy setting also prevents Device Manager from automatically installing driver updates from the Windows Update website", which is exactly what I need. I enabled this, ran the setup again, restarted, and the
    driver stayed!

So that's the solution, to just disable Windows Update altogether. I suppose I'll have to re-enable every once in a while to get any important updates. Maybe after I re-enable, since the driver is already installed, it won't trigger the automatic update,
    like running the setup file does? Like it was when I first installed Windows 10? Maybe that will work.

But in any case, no thanks to Microsoft, I finally "solved" the issue. A good Windows enhancement would be to split that Group Policy item into two items - one for regular updates, and one specifically for automatic Device Manager updates. But if the Windows
    10 forums on the official Microsoft website aren't read by anyone even close to the Windows 10 development team, I have no clue how to even try and suggest this to them.

Kaisonic, Nov 30, 2015
  3. Kaisonic Win User
    Cannot Disable VIA Audio Driver Automatic Update

Also, as a side note, I posted here in the Microsoft community because I already contacted Microsoft's "professional" support, and I was informed that they are equipped to handle basic questions only. This is an advanced technical support issue, and if
    the only responses I will get are from the same team that runs the chat/phone support service, please tell me where I can contact someone more knowledgeable.

Kaisonic, Nov 30, 2015
  4. omidsolo Win User

Disable Driver Update

I found that:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

Will do the 1st and 2nd step, both Radio Buttons will be changed to the No and Never.
    But for the CheckBox "Automatically get the device app..." I didn't found the registry key!?

omidsolo, Nov 30, 2015
  5. omidsolo Win User
    Also found *Smile

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

omidsolo, Nov 30, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
Thema:

Disable Driver Update

1. Disable Driver Update - Similar Threads - Disable Driver Update

2. disabling windows driver updates through gpedit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disabling windows driver updates through gpedit: is it okay to disable driver updates through group policy edit.Will there be any performance issues such as wifi problem in the future.i have third party paid antivirus installed on my windows 11 pro 23h2...
  3. How to disable driver updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable driver updates: Windows is updating AMD graphics drivers to an incompatible version and I would like to know how to disable updates for the drivers because it will restart the pc while in the middle of use without any notification of update...
  4. How to disable driver updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable driver updates: Windows is updating AMD graphics drivers to an incompatible version and I would like to know how to disable updates for the drivers because it will restart the pc while in the middle of use without any notification of update...
  5. How to disable driver updates

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Disabling driver updates from windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disabling driver updates from windows update: How do I stop Windows Update from constantly updating my AMD Graphics, HP and Realtek Devices? Please mention the direct methods built into Windows settings or any other place first before suggesting something like registry edits....
  7. Permanently disable windows driver updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Permanently disable windows driver updates: Hi guys! I am running Windows 10 Pro 20H2. I have installed Windows at least 20 times over and over and following different tutorials to stop driver updates and automatic updates. The purpose why I am doing this is to prevent Windows update from installing ancient drivers...
  8. Disabled Unsigned Driver Updates?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disabled Unsigned Driver Updates?: hello. i am on Windows 10 Home and am trying to figure out how to prevent Windows Update from replacing non-signed drivers. i have tried several things... there was a registry entry that is supposed to disable driver updates, i find you can enable this option through...
  9. Disable Automatic Windows Update Driver Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable Automatic Windows Update Driver Update: Hello and thanks for taking a look at my issue. I have been using my PC manufacturers Synaptics touch-pad driver for years without issue, it is from 2015. The other day Windows 10 automatically updated to some 2017 Synpatics driver. I lost the ability to scroll up or down...
  10. Disabling WU will disable Drivers Update also?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disabling WU will disable Drivers Update also?: My PC is a Production Machine and I do not want to lose time with broken updates, so I decided to completely disable the Windows Update in Services. Will this also Disable the Drivers Updates by means of the Online Search and Install? Thank you 65969