Windows 10: Disable Mail app via GPO

Discus and support Disable Mail app via GPO in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, In our environment we have the problem that the default association for the mailto: protocol is not consistently set to open Outlook. So... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by dinci5, Apr 10, 2017.

1. dinci5 Win User

Disable Mail app via GPO

Hello,

In our environment we have the problem that the default association for the mailto: protocol is not consistently set to open Outlook.

So many users who click a mailto: link will be presented with the Mail app instead of Outlook.
    Then they end up logging in their Office 365 account in the Mail app.

I can't seem to find the GPO to disable the Mail app completely.
    I now ended up changing my default SCCM deployment to uninstall the Mail app but we still have about 1k devices with the app still installed.

Also, I'm pretty sure if we later this year start the upgrade to the latest W10 build the app will probably be installed again.

So, does anybody know how to disable this freaking thing via GPO?

Thank you

:)

dinci5, Apr 10, 2017
  2. BumSkull Win User

Windows 10 is too hard to look at and hurts my eyes

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately I can not use the feedback app as it requires UAC which is disabled via GPO in my environment.

BumSkull, Apr 10, 2017
  3. MattyJ000 Win User
    Retrieve and Install Sticky Notes via PowerShell

So just some background information. The Windows 10 image (Enterprise - Version 1607) I deploy at my company has most UWP apps removed and the Store is disabled via group policy (Don't have permissions to disable the GPO).

Is there a way I can retrieve and install Sticky Notes via PowerShell?

MattyJ000, Apr 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Disable Mail app via GPO

dalchina, Apr 10, 2017
  5. dinci5 Win User
    It's not a problem to change it manually.
    I didn't miss that option *Smile

The problem is that we need to do it on 1k devices and for us the best thing would be if could disable the Mail app completely via GPO.

dinci5, Apr 10, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Just wondering if that would solve it? If you have something changing the default association or mail program back to Mail, and Mail were disabled by GPO. wouldn't that simply result in the relevant message, Mail being blocked, sthg like

Disable Mail app via GPO [​IMG]

Perhaps, if you can't work out why the default is reverting to Mail, you might consider changing the permissions for the relevant registry keys.. a bit drastic though!

People using an old version of Winzip found their defaults reset on restart. There was one other program that had that effect as I recall.

Another thought was that settings were being synced.

You might consider trying something like this:
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wi...-associations/

dalchina, Apr 10, 2017
  7. dinci5 Win User
    You have a point there. That's definitely something I'll need to pay attention to.

I'm honestly not sure what registry keys I need to change to force the association for the mailto: protocol.

In the regisry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail" nothing changes when I change the default association for Email.

It's probably written into an XML file... I'll check out if I find anything in there.

dinci5, Apr 10, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Disable Mail app via GPO

If you want to find out what changes in the registry after a particular action, try regshot (free),
    Scans the registry before, then after the change, then gives a comparison listing whatever's been added/deleted/changed.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppXdyw2j75xqd0y008p4bvtxhnxp3py2t2g
    is for Mail
    - so presumably take the idea from
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wi...-associations/
    using that.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Disable Mail app via GPO

1. Disable Mail app via GPO - Similar Threads - Disable Mail app

2. disable installation of promotional app on windows 11 via GPO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable installation of promotional app on windows 11 via GPO: I Need to disable the automatic installation of promotion app like istagram, skype, messanger etc that happen when the user first logon to windows.Is there a GPO i can use?I found some article on the reg keys \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager...
  3. disable installation of promotional app on windows 11 via GPO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable installation of promotional app on windows 11 via GPO: I Need to disable the automatic installation of promotion app like istagram, skype, messanger etc that happen when the user first logon to windows.Is there a GPO i can use?I found some article on the reg keys \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager...
  4. Enable PS-Remoting via GPO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable PS-Remoting via GPO: Good day,I have a bit of an issue. I need to be able to Enter-PSSession across my domain, but it does not work until on the client computer I run Enable-PSRemoting from the end point. I have GPO configured and have read 'guides' that all say to setup GPO the same so I have my...
  5. Default printer via GPO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Default printer via GPO: hey all , im trying to set default printer on the client PC via GPO can someone guide me how to do that ? 178471
  6. Assign Default Mail App By GPO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Assign Default Mail App By GPO: How does a domain administrator assign a Default Mail Application to windows 10 users without replacing the entire AppAssociations.xml? I want to only set the default mail app to Outlook instead of Windows Mail. I do not want to replace the entire AppAssociations.xml due to...
  7. Disable drives like "G" via GPO?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable drives like "G" via GPO?: Moin, I'm currently building a Citrix Farm with virtual machines (Windows 10 for the clients and Windows Server 2016 for the servers) running on terminal servers, now I don't want the users connecting to the Citrix Farm to see any drives. By default it is possible to disable...
  8. Setting Defender Options via GPO

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Setting Defender Options via GPO: Hi all, I am trying to change a setting for 'App & browser control' --> 'Check apps and files' from 'Warn' to 'Block' via a GPO setting. I believe that I have the latest Windows Defender template installed. I cannot see an option to enforce the 'Block' setting, I I can...
  9. How do you disable the Action Center icon via GPO?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you disable the Action Center icon via GPO?: On build 1809 LTSC, we have "Remove Notifications and Action Center" enabled in User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar. Policy is being correctly applied to workstation. However, the Action Center icon is still showing. We did not see this...
  10. Disable "device search history" via registry/gpo

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable "device search history" via registry/gpo: In 10 v1511 there is a new entry in the start menu search called "device search history" that is enabled by default. I use Code: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search] "AllowCortana"=dword:00000000 "DisableWebSearch"=dword:00000001...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mail app gpo abschalten

2. gpo disable windows mail and calendar

3. windows mail gpo

4. disable windows mail gpo not working,
  5. turn off windows mail application with gpo,
  6. GPO to disable the Windows Mail Application not working,
  7. disable mail app in windows gpo,
  8. windows 10 disable windows mail gpo,
  9. disable mail via gpo,
  10. gpo to disable mail app,
  11. gpo disable windows mail app,