Windows 10: Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10

Discus and support Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10

How to: Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10

How to Enable or Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu in Windows 10

The Power menu in Windows 10 can allow users to restart the PC without having to sign in to Windows.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in the Power menu for specific or all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu.

*note This does not affect the Alt+F4 Shut Down Windows dialog, and does not prevent users from using other methods to restart.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Enable or Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Two: Enable or Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu for Specific Users in Local Group Policy Editor
    • Option Three: Enable or Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu for All Users using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate disabled in Power menu

*Arrow Ctrl+Alt+Del

Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10 [​IMG]

*Arrow Sign-in screen

*Arrow Start menu

*Arrow Win+X Quick Link menu

OPTION ONE [/i] Enable or Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu for All Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate commands policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu for All Users
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Enable or Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu for Specific Users in Local Group Policy Editor

*note The Local Group Policy Editor is only available in the Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.

All editions can use Option Three below.
    1. Open the all users except administrators Local Group Policy Editor for how you want this policy applied.

2. In the left pane of the Local Group Policy Editor, click/tap on to expand User Configuration, Administrative Templates, and Start Menu and Taskbar. (see screenshot below)

3. In the right pane of Start Menu and Taskbar, double click/tap on the Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate commands policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu
    A) Select (dot) either Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

6. To Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION THREE [/i] Enable or Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu for All Users using a REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and modify the DWORD value in the registry keys below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

HidePowerOptions DWORD

(delete) = Enable
    1 = Disable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu for All Users
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Shut-Down_Restart_Sleep_Hibernate_in_Power-Menu.reg

Download

3. To Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Power Menu for All Users
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Shut-Down_Restart_Sleep_Hibernate_in_Power-Menu.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Apr 8, 2018
  2. claylomax Win User

Shutting down, hibernating, or sleeping?

Speaking of ... I just built a new PC with an AMD Kaveri and Windows 7 64 and the option sleep is greyed out, I get shut down and hibernate; it's funny, on my PC (see specs) I get sleep and shut down not hibernate. I tried the bios but I'm clueless. Any ideas?

claylomax, Oct 27, 2019
  3. Aquinus Win User

When sleep is grayed out it probably means that you're missing a driver required to do it or rather a device is incapable of going to sleep, but more often than not it's drivers that haven't been installed. I would make sure you're not missing any chipset or something.

Aquinus, Oct 27, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

I always use hibernate, I only restart for windows updates.

P4-630, Oct 27, 2019
  5. 95Viper Win User

You may have a device that is not compatiable with sleep states or it could be a driver causing it... like this one ( Sleep Option greyed out ), that was caused by a generic display driver.

Make sure all your drivers are up to date and all drivers are installed.
    Look in device manager, see if there are any devices that are generic or unknown.

And, here is an explanation of the BIOS ACPI settings --> Difference between S1 (POS) and S3 (STR) standby mode in BIOS?

You might want to start a thread, if you want to get into fixing it.

95Viper, Oct 27, 2019
  6. Computuer restarts immediately when trying to hibernate

My laptop has suddenly started automatically restarting when I try to hibernate. I have tried many solutions I found on the internet and this forum.

• I disabled fast restart
    • ran power troubleshooter
    • reset the power plan defaults
    • updated bios
    • tried a repair install
    • disabled hybrid sleep in power settings

I have already updated to v 1909. I am running Win 10 Pro.

The fast start disable fixed the auto restart on shutdown but not or hibernate. Sleep works fine. Please advise what other steps to try.

Jerry Welliver, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Disable Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disable Shut Down

2. Computer shuts down instead of sleep/hibernation.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer shuts down instead of sleep/hibernation.: Greetings, everyone! <3 I know there had been threads on this topic, but none of those helped me. Here are my PC specs mind you it's PC, not a laptop: Processor: AMD A6-9500 RADEON R4+5, 8 COMPUTE CORES 2C+6G 3.50 GHz RAM: 4 GB Hard: 120 GB SSD System type: 64-bit...
  3. Extra space below Sleep, Hibernate, Shut down, and Restart?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Extra space below Sleep, Hibernate, Shut down, and Restart?: https://i.imgur.com/hDcAOOz.png Has anyone ever seen this before? There's like an extra space below restart almost like there would be another entry but it's blank. After a while it will go away but it always comes back. Does anyone know the cause of this? Small yet...
  4. Windows 10 Shutting down after sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Shutting down after sleep/hibernation: Hi As far as I can tell, after sleep/hibernation (being left for a long period, usually overnight), I come back ro my PC to find that it has completely shutdown. It is encrypted with a bitlocker password so I suppose if an update is applied overnight then this would be the...
  5. Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep, Hibernate & Shut down issue: Hello, Recently I had replaced new battery and Hard disk for my laptop(HP Pavilion p045tx notebook, 4th i7, 8 GB/1 TB). Then Changed the OS to windows 10 instead of previous 8.1. Till then, the laptop is facing issues with sleep, hibernate & shut down functions. When I...
  6. Intermediate BSODs when shutting down/restart/sleep/hibernate computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intermediate BSODs when shutting down/restart/sleep/hibernate computer: I've started getting these a while ago but turning of power management helped then. Now it's much more frequent. For me it seems to be related to my wifi adapter or driver. Sometimes the wifi just dies and at reboot there's a BSOD. I've tried uninstalling the device and...
  7. HIbernate or shut down?

in Windows 10 Support
    HIbernate or shut down?: I've always had the practice of shutting down my home pc/laptop before going to bed. I always used the hibernate option throughout the day while I"m working on it/them. A lot of my friends had their hard drives crashed and always used the hibernate option. This despite the...
  8. Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows will not shut down, hibernate or sleep: I had problem dual booting win7 and win10. After many attempts I was able to dual boot. But in the process, I deleted "system reserved" partition. So windows want start. I performed start up repair and it solved the problem. After that I reinstalled win7 ultimate which...
  9. Sleep vs. Hibernate vs. Shut Down

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep vs. Hibernate vs. Shut Down: [Note: I am running Windows 10 on the new Retina MacBook via Boot Camp] I've been a Windows user for 20 years so I know the differences between each of these. But in Windows 10 I am experiencing significant battery drains that are not consistent with the performance from...
  10. Windows 10 Shutting Down instead of Sleeping/Hibernating

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Shutting Down instead of Sleeping/Hibernating: So, I recently installed Windows 10 on my laptop ( HP ProBook 440 G2 ), but I've been facing some issues where, after a short period of usage (around 20 minutes and beyond) the OS simply shuts down when I close the lid or manually press the Suspend button, even tho I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to disable the shut down windows screen in windows 2010