Windows 10: disable skype startup

Discus and support disable skype startup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I think this started with the new november build, but skype seems to be autostarting, even though I have not installed it. the process is called... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by shmu26, Nov 17, 2015.

1. shmu26 Win User

disable skype startup

I think this started with the new november build, but skype seems to be autostarting, even though I have not installed it.
    the process is called microsoft skype.

how can I disable this process, so it won't start up every time I boot?

any other unneeded windows processes that are recommended to disable?

:)

shmu26, Nov 17, 2015

2. How to disable Skype?

How do I disable Skype during Startup?

Benny Perales, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Completely disable skype on startup?

Hi Gail,

Upon installation of the Skype app, it automatically assigns a random port number. The error that you have encountered simply means that there is no port number currently assigned to Skype due to some restrictions of your antivirus program or firewall. As
    a workaround, we suggest entering the port number manually by using a value larger than 1024 and continue unchecking the
    Start Skype when I start Windows option.

At the same time, you may also check your firewall settings to verify if the ports required for Skype is restricted. You can do this by following the steps in the articles below:

Once you are done, you can respond back and let us know the result.

Kind regards.

Jennifer Cha, Nov 17, 2015
  4. aj1x Win User

disable skype startup

Silly question to add to this, but is this the same thing as Skype Video? That is the application I have loading (I keep getting spam friend requests).

5. davidhk Win User
    Open Skype > at the top, click Tools > click Options > right side, uncheck the box " Start Skype when I start Windows " > Save when done.

disable skype startup [​IMG]

davidhk, Nov 18, 2015
  6. aj1x Win User
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is there an option to disable that for Skype Video? (I don't have Skype installed, but I guess the updates last Tuesday installed some integrated version?)

7. davidhk Win User
    Not sure what you mean.
    Skype requires user to sign in first.
    If you don't have Skype installed, there is nothing to worry about.
    Can you show me where I can find the "integrated version "?

davidhk, Nov 18, 2015
  8. aj1x Win User

disable skype startup

Sure thing, once you open your start menu > all apps > S > Skype Video

(the messenger part is start menu > all apps > M > Messaging)

I only noticed this existed because I got spam contact requests when I logged in today so they came up as notifications. And it gave a notification (that I barely read) that said it logged me in when I logged in with my Microsoft account, so as far as I can tell it logs in when log in to my machine.

9. For MS account users, the November update included Skype video, which does start automatically with Windows. I did absolutely nothing and still got a call on that computer from a contact. I don't use that computer for skype. So far, I uninstalled the app, and hope it stays that way. I have had problems with apps installing themselves.

DustSailor, Nov 18, 2015
  10. davidhk Win User
    If you don't use it, it's as good as "disable".
    I never have Skype Video opened up automatically.

How about uninstall it ?

disable skype startup [​IMG]

davidhk, Nov 18, 2015
  11. aj1x Win User
    Not that I don't use it, just I don't want it to autostart/auto login. Maybe I'll uninstall it and go with the desktop app which has that feature... Thanks for the feedback!

12. davidhk Win User
    Yes. That is the best choice.

davidhk, Nov 18, 2015
  13. shmu26 Win User

disable skype startup

thanks guys, I uninstalled the skype app that Microsoft just quietly bestowed upon us.
    I don't even have a mic or webcam on this desktop.

shmu26, Nov 18, 2015
  14. AndreyT Win User
    And therein lies the problem. I use my Admin account to install programs (including Skype) and I use my regular account to use these programs. I don't want to sign in into Skype under Admin. Consequently, I have no access to full Skype options and can't disable automatic startup that way.

I just use Auto runs to delete Skype startup entry in Admin profile.

AndreyT, Nov 19, 2015
  15. Someone can help me ? How i can stop to autoexecute the "Skype Preview" ??

I have both... the "old" Skype app and this stupid things....... i set on Desktop App to not start Skype at windows logon but now this "Skype Preview" it's appears on recent WIndows 10 Anniversay edition and apparently it's impossible to stop it to autoexecutes and autologin on boot..........

DjDiabolik, Sep 7, 2016
Thema:

disable skype startup

1. disable skype startup - Similar Threads - disable skype startup

2. Disable MS startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable MS startup: HiI had disabled MS startup, really helps when booting UP will it still reboot the same or do i have to disable MS startup again?Thank youTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-ms-startup/eaebcb69-bf06-4ad2-86c0-de650ce9443f
  3. Pop-ups fro Powershell and Skype on startup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Pop-ups fro Powershell and Skype on startup: Hello.Why when I turned on my computer, there's a pop up from PowerShell for one second, I do not know what caused that, but I'm sure it's serious.And second, why Skype business popped out for no reason after I opened to app only once. For the first question, I do not know...
  4. Skype disabled?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Skype disabled?: I've recently just noticed skype has been disabled in my startup in task manager. Is this something i should be concerned about?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/skype-disabled/e47f7ac9-2a4f-4495-94f6-2782b9d7420a
  5. I WANT Skype to open on startup but it doesn't

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I WANT Skype to open on startup but it doesn't: Now that Skype is a "Windows App," it doesn't have a shortcut or exe anywhere that I can find to add to my Startup folder. I tried to give myself permissions to the ProgramFiles/WindpwsApps folder to see if something is in there, but that does not seem to have worked and I...
  6. Completey disable Skype for Business?

Completey disable Skype for Business?: The locked thread does NOT cover my issue. Fresh system, Skype for Business install. First time I started it I got a splash screen telling me I'm to move to use Microsoft Teams. I installed Microsoft Teams. Great, all is well... no problem talking to others that are...
  7. completely disable skype on startup

completely disable skype on startup: I don't want to use skype and certainly don't want it to startup along with windows. And dare I even ask how I can disable the auto startup? BTW, Satya tera gaan mein haathi ka itta bada lund....
  8. Skype won't startup automatically

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Skype won't startup automatically: I've looked over the internet kind of but none of the answers worked. I've been trying to find a way so my skype will startup automatically but I couldn't. So hopefully I find the answer here. Sincerely, Jeff Tiki...
  9. Unable to disable Skype for business at startup

Unable to disable Skype for business at startup: Unable to disable Skype for business at startup. Have : - turned off Tools - Options - Personal - Automatically start the app when I log on to Windows. - disabled Skype in Task Manager - Start-up. System details: - Windows 10, Version 1803, OS build 17134.285 -...
  10. Skype for business stuck at splash screen on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Skype for business stuck at splash screen on startup: I have updated my laptops and desktops to Windows 10 recently, coming from Windows 7. On startup, and sometimes amidst usage, Skype for business starts itself and then hangs at the splash screen; thus I cannot disable it from starting automatically. How can I fully remove...