Windows 10: Disable speakers and keep headphone jack enabled?

Discus and support Disable speakers and keep headphone jack enabled? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Where I work, the IT department made the mistake of purchasing computers with built-in speakers. We do not want the speakers to function at all, only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by JOSHSKORN, Dec 18, 2015.

1. JOSHSKORN Win User

Disable speakers and keep headphone jack enabled?

Where I work, the IT department made the mistake of purchasing computers with built-in speakers. We do not want the speakers to function at all, only any sound put through the headphone jack. After disabling the speakers, we found that YouTube no longer works, which is a problem.

That said, is there a way to permanently disable the speakers, leave the headset jack enabled and still allow YouTube to continue playing videos even if a headset is not plugged in?

:)

JOSHSKORN, Dec 18, 2015
  2. Ava_898 Win User

How to disable headphone jack in Windows 10

Hello,

a part of my headphone plug is stuck in the headphone jack. My computer thinks it's still plugged in but i can't heard anything. Now since I can't get it out I've tried to disable it. Unfortunetly when i go to playback devices headphones is listed as Speakers.
    How do I disable the headphone jack so I can listen through speakers?

Note: I have reinstalled my drivers and if I go to update them it says that windows thinks your drivers are up to date

Ava_898, Dec 18, 2015
  3. Headphones not suddenly stopped working

After many months of trouble free sound - the tray Icon shows the speaker with a re X - troubleshooting states that there are no headphones or speakers plugged in - I've been using the headphone jack in the front exclusively. There is a flag that recognizes
    when I plug or unplug the headphones but the troubleshooting window doesn't make the distinction.

Went into devices and disabled and enables audio related devices and updated drivers to no avail.

Just plugged in the headphone to the jack in the rear of the unit - they work there.

All out of the blue!

Thanks for any input

CHARLESRUFF3, Dec 18, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

I'm not sure if this will do what you want, but type sound into the search bar, click on change sound card settings, right click the speakers and select disable, then select the headphones and at the bottom click Default. That should disable the speakers and use the headphones for all sounds.

essenbe, Dec 18, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    On both of my Desktop systems. plugging in headphones disables the speakers automatically.
    You could also cut the wires going to the speakers, I've done that a few times too.

Ztruker, Dec 18, 2015
  6. JOSHSKORN Win User
    These are the machines in question. The speakers are built-in. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktop...ries-tiny/m73/

That said, there are no wires to cut.

Upon examining the BIOS, I noticed that you can disable the onboard sound, however I'm fairly certain that this would also permanently disable usage of the headphone jack as well.

Again, I just want to make sure the speakers do not work at all, but that the headphone connector jack is still live and that the volume for that can still be adjusted to the user's liking.

JOSHSKORN, Dec 18, 2015
  7. I use usb headphones and speakers and that knocks out the internal speakers and have them switched off completely otherwise by making it none in sounds

hTconeM9user, Dec 18, 2015
  8. JOSHSKORN Win User

OK but lets say you disable your onboard sound and happen to not have your USB headset not plugged in. Would YouTube still play? Also, I don't see how that would work in my environment, as we do not allow users to install software. Software would automatically be installed for each different USB headset that is plugged in.

JOSHSKORN, Dec 18, 2015
  9. It does on mine.
    Also you can turn the sound down on you tube via the speaker app in you tube just slide the volume towards the speaker icon.
    You tube will still play
    No software was installed when I put mine in and I have logtech.
    I don't even have to click the hardware and software icon on the taskbar to remove them

hTconeM9user, Dec 19, 2015
  10. essenbe Win User
    Often drivers, and on a rare occasion software, is installed for headphones. But, those come through Windows Update. It is just another Windows Update. It is the same with anything you attach to Windows. Even a USB Flash drive, Windows installs drivers for it. Even the headphones that come with software will work just fine without the software. The software is only to make adjustments to the sound, but they will work just fine without it.

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disable speakers and keep headphone jack enabled? - Similar Threads - Disable speakers keep

2. Headphone Jack And Built in Speakers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Headphone Jack And Built in Speakers: How do I use both headphone Jack and Built in Speakers at the same time?I have checked on sound settings but my Headphone jack does not Show.My volume only comes out of the headphone jack but I would like to use both Built in speakers and headphone jack at the same time with...
  3. Headphone Jack And Built in Speakers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphone Jack And Built in Speakers: How do I use both headphone Jack and Built in Speakers at the same time?I have checked on sound settings but my Headphone jack does not Show.My volume only comes out of the headphone jack but I would like to use both Built in speakers and headphone jack at the same time with...
  4. Disable laptop speakers but enable headphones when plugged in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disable laptop speakers but enable headphones when plugged in: Hi, I bought a laptop and apparently windows doesn't distinguish between the integrated speakers and a headphones when these are plugged in. Basically I want to experience the same that I was experiencing in my desktop PC... if I play a song and I don't have a headphone...
  5. Laptop speakers and headphone jack dont work?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop speakers and headphone jack dont work?: My laptop was working fine last night but as I booted it up this morning the speakers dont work and connecting my usual headphones to the jack just renders static with no sounds from the laptop. I tried updating the drivers but nothing happened. I connected earphones and...
  6. How to disable internal speakers, but keep use of the headphone jack?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to disable internal speakers, but keep use of the headphone jack?: I just want to completely disable the internal speakers of my laptop, but in audio devices, it is grouped with headphones (it’s named speakers/headphones as part of Realtek Audio). How do I disable the internal speakers independently from headphones? Thanks submitted by...
  7. Speakers Routing to Headphone Jack

Speakers Routing to Headphone Jack: Hey All I'm having an issue where when my headphones are unplugged, my speakers labeled "Speakers RealtekR Audio" don't work at all, even though my computer thinks they are completely functional. Plugging in my headphones without changing the device appears to output audio...
  8. Headphones disabling without disabling speakers

Headphones disabling without disabling speakers: Hi, I have a dell latitude 3189 with windows 10 on it. I wanted to ask something. My headphone jack is stuck in the headphone port. Its pretty annoying because my laptop detects the little piece of the headphone jack. Can disable my headphones without disabling my speakers?...
  9. Plug broke off in rear speaker jack: front headphone jack disabled now

Plug broke off in rear speaker jack: front headphone jack disabled now: On my desktop a 3.5mm plug broke off in my rear speaker out jack. And now when I try to use the front headphone jack it doesn't work. Did the broken plug in the rear disable the front headphone jack? Can anyone help with either problem? thanks! 114665
  10. toshiba Broken headphone jack speakers wont work

toshiba Broken headphone jack speakers wont work: I got a headphone plug stuck into my jack and i got it out but my internal speakers still will not work. and i dont know what to do 38256

Users found this page by searching for:

1. turn off speaker but leave headphones on pc

2. how to disable speaker and keep headphones pc

3. disable speakers keep headphones enabled windows

4. disable realtek speakers keep headphone input,
  5. windows 10 permanently disable speakers but keep headphones,
  6. disable realtek speakers keep headphones,
  7. windows 10 turn speakers off keep headphone jack enabled,
  8. disable computer speaker but keep headphone jack,
  9. Windows 10 Disable speakers and keep headphone jack enabled