Windows 10: Disable touch pad after installing Windows 10

Discus and support Disable touch pad after installing Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Synaptics touch pad on my HP Envy laptop. Prior to upgrading to Windows 10 if I went to mouse in the control panel there was a checkbox to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by arliedog, Aug 15, 2015.

1. arliedog Win User

Disable touch pad after installing Windows 10

I have a Synaptics touch pad on my HP Envy laptop. Prior to upgrading to Windows 10 if I went to mouse in the control panel there was a checkbox to check to disable the touch pad if a external mouse was detected. This worked fine. Now under Windows 10 I can still check the box to disable the touch pad but the setting does not stick and has to be rechecked after every reboot. Is there a way to get this setting to stick? There is no disable setting in the device manager for the Synaptics touch pad.

:)

arliedog, Aug 15, 2015

2. Mouse pointer fails after login then disappears when I use the touch screen on Windows 10

The mouse and touch pad works fine as I'm logging in on my ASUS tp300la but as windows finishes loading after login the mouse pointer freezes as if the touch pad completely disables. As I resort to using the touch screen and tap the screen, it disappears.
    Any help on getting my touch pad or mouse pointer back? Note I hadn't had this problem on windows 8 prior to installation of windows 10. Now after a touch pad update the mouse pointer and touch pad no longer works.

JeremyBouchey, Aug 15, 2015
  3. Touch Pad FN +F9 Function does not work with Windows 10 Update.

The Fn +F9 key and Touch Pad switch to disable Touch Pad does not work after Windows 10 upgrade on a Toshiba Satellite M640 laptop. Has anyone run into this and found a solution. Ideas welcome.

MC74Engineer, Aug 15, 2015
  4. Disable touch pad after installing Windows 10

Hello - I am having a problem too. Upgraded my Mom's computer to Windows 10 and I go in and check the box "Disable track pad when USB device is in" however after each reboot it comes right back on and it is frustrating as she rests heavily on the trackpad as she prefers using a mouse. Please help!

bphunter07, Aug 17, 2015
  5. bro67 Win User
    The only way to disable the Track Pad while other pointing device is installed, is through the Mouse properties in Control Panel. By the 1st quarter of next year, the Control Panel is going away and everything will be under the All Settings menu.

bro67, Aug 17, 2015
  6. Glennr Win User
    Not a full solution, but what I did was to pin the mouse settings to the start menu. Whenever I reboot, I click on the mouse settings in the start menu and go to advanced settings and disable it again. This makes the process a bit easier.

Glennr, Aug 19, 2015
  7. hawkman Win User
    I haven't had that problem since i dissabled trackpad.
    See my earlier post re the driver for Elan(Synaptics)

Roy

hawkman, Aug 19, 2015
  8. Glennr Win User

I have tried to remove (checked the box) and uninstall the driver for my Synaptics (not called Elan on my HP laptop) and I have tried a rollback to 2014 driver. In both cases, after a reboot, Windows update ran and reinstalled the current driver. With the Windows 10 Windows Update app there is no way to choose updates or to hide them like with Windows 8. So unless Elan is different that plain Synaptics, I don't know how you did it.

Glennr, Aug 19, 2015
  9. hawkman Win User
    I pointed you back to my earlier thread
    Part of it SAID
    If the driver is updated the default is Changed back and you have to check the box again.

There is a way to stop updates, search for stop updates in the forum

Elan is synaptics

Roy

hawkman, Aug 19, 2015
  10. Glennr Win User
    Not quite sure what you mean by "check the box again". I was talking about the box that says to delete the files.

As far as a way to stop updates goes, I was only partly successful. I found 2 methods to do it. One does not work on the Home edition which I have. The other was a MS utility that allowed me select hardware that I wanted to hide updates. This worked for Synaptics. However, the reboot caused the installation of a MS PS 2 mouse touchpad driver. This one does not get listed in the MS utility. Again, removing it brings about an auto reinstall after reboot. This driver is not listed with the MS hide tool. This one causes more problems than the synaptics does.

Glennr, Aug 19, 2015
  11. Glennr Win User
    Finally. I used the Microsoft tool to hide any future updates of the synaptics driver. I uninstalled it with the delete files option. Rebooted. Tested by manually running Update. Got the P/S 2 drivers issue which could not be stopped from reinstalling. I uninstalled it. Then I found a new driver version on the HP web site (I did not check the number between the original and the new) and installed it. Rebooted. Synaptics now back. I went to the Synaptics control thing and selected the box to disable it if a mouse was also installed. Rebooted multiple times. The first time, I got a pop-up saying that Synaptics was disabled because a mouse was installed. After 3 more boots, it is still disabled but no pop-ups. I still have updates for synaptics hidden.

Glennr, Aug 19, 2015
  12. In general if you follow these steps it will disable the PS/2 driver for the Touchpad on any laptop.

To disable the PS2 touchpad driver, you need to be the "Owner" of i8042prt.sys file under C:\Windows\System32\drivers.

-right click the file i8042prt.sys --> select Properties

- Select security, and edit security where your login has full control over the file.

- click apply

- go to device manager (right click windows-->device manager)

- expand mouse & other pointing devices

- right click PS/2 compatible mouse

- click on disable

Voila!
    Good luck

nileknight, Apr 27, 2016
  13. Glennr Win User

With the last several updates from Microsoft Update, I have not had any issues in getting the settings remembered. It seems that if there is an update the setting to turn off the keypad when a mouse is plugged in may have to be redone. But, unless there is a new update, the setting stays put, at least for me.

Glennr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disable touch pad after installing Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disable touch pad

2. disable touch pad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable touch pad: Trying to disable touch pad on HP computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-touch-pad/5444f394-2dbf-4eca-a224-78246b4fd0fd
  3. disable touch pad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable touch pad: Trying to disable touch pad on HP computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-touch-pad/5444f394-2dbf-4eca-a224-78246b4fd0fd
  4. Disable touch pad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable touch pad: How do I disable the touch pad on my laptop when I have an external pointing device mouse attached?There used to be a check box, but this no longer shown.I have found a way to disable the touch pad but every time I start my laptop again it is once again enabled.I have read...
  5. Disable touch pad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable touch pad: How do I disable the touch pad on my laptop when I have an external pointing device mouse attached?There used to be a check box, but this no longer shown.I have found a way to disable the touch pad but every time I start my laptop again it is once again enabled.I have read...
  6. Disable touch pad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. disable touch pad

in Windows 10 Customization
    disable touch pad: disable touch pad https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-touch-pad/997b2e32-56f8-4509-8a81-b85222278f94
  8. disable touch pad

disable touch pad: Every other time windows updates 10 it re-enables the touch pad on my MSI laptop. I am unable to disable it manually unless I uninstall the windows updates. WHY????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-touch-pad/09c350d4-4a50-4417-90cc-e8b90b7b4e4d
  9. Disable Touch Pad.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Touch Pad.: Hello to the Microsoft Community, I have a HP Laptop, about 7 months old, running Windows 10, Intel core i5 processor, 8.00 GB Ram, 64bit operating system, x 64 bit-based processor. No pen or touch input. I recently did a windows 10 upgrade to 1909 the latest edition....
  10. Disable Touch Pad

Disable Touch Pad: How can I disable the touchpad on my new HP laptop when there is no touchpad tab under devices? I use a mouse exclusively, and have a difficult time not touching the touch pad when I type. It's really annoying to have to keep searching for my cursor....