Windows 10: Disable update

Discus and support Disable update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; How do I prevent the automatic update software, such as Microsoft Office or Adobe in Os 10? 36741 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by s00, Jan 8, 2016.

1. S00
    s00 Win User

Disable update

How do I prevent the automatic update software, such as Microsoft Office or Adobe in Os 10?

:)

2. Disable Windows update

If you have Windows 10 Pro, you have the option to Download updates as per your convenience. See the article I linked above.

However, for home, you can set your connection as metered or disable Windows updates completely as per Dave's advice.

Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 8, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Disable Windows update

Hi webbrewers3, the old methods of stopping Windows Update no longer work

Click your Start Button, type services and hit Enter

Scroll down to find Windows Update Service

If it is Started, double click it and stop that service

CLose the services App

Click your Start Button, type cmd, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Run this command and hit Enter

sc delete wuauserv

Close Command Prompt

Restart your PC

If you also have the Update Assistant installed on your system:

The Update Assistant in Windows 10 cannot be uninstalled, but you can get rid of it

Click your Start Button, type Task Scheduler and hit enter

In the left Pane, navigate to: Windows - Update Orchestrater

Right Pane double click 'Update Assistant'

Click on Triggers Tab

On each of the triggers ( At login . . . etc.) double click and uncheck 'Enabled'

Under 'Update Assistant, there is another event 'Update Assistant CalendarRun'

Do the same for all triggers on that event

Restart your system, that's It!

When finished and after a system restart, open the services app and make sure the Windows Update Service is now gone . . .

DaveM121, Jan 8, 2016
  4. Dude Win User
  5. cereberus Win User
    Under advanced options in update settings, you can uncheck box for updates for other MS products. For 3rd party apps, you need to turn that off in the individuall application settings (MS has no control over those).

cereberus, Jan 8, 2016
  6. S00
    s00 Win User
  7. Private Win User
    Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Advanced options > deselect (untick) the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows".

Or, start any Office program, File > Account > Update Options > Disable Updates

Or, through registry:

Office 2013:
    Code: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\microsoft\office\15.0\common\OfficeUpdate] "EnableAutomaticUpdates"=dword:00000000[/quote] Office 2016:
    Code: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\policies\microsoft\office\16.0\common\OfficeUpdate] "EnableAutomaticUpdates"=dword:00000000[/quote] If you want to hide the menu option to enable or disable automatic updates, add:
    Code: "HideEnableDisableUpdates"=dword:00000001[/quote] Give it a try.

And... which Adobe products?

Private, Jan 9, 2016
  8. S00
    s00 Win User

Disable update

I deselected the "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows".
    in Office program, File > Account > Update Options > Disable Updates Not available.

Disable update [​IMG]

also created the following key
    "HideEnableDisableUpdates"=dword:00000001

Disable update [​IMG]

but enable or disable automatic updates was not added to the menu of office.

9. cereberus Win User
    I do not understand why you are going to these lengths when all you need to do is uncheck one checkbox in settings as said earlier?

Have you done that, and it did not work?

cereberus, Jan 9, 2016
  10. Private Win User
    In my previous post, there's three options, choose either one but yes, you can use it all.

Option 2, the update button missing from Word?

Disable update [​IMG]

Try to open other Office program.

Option 3, please type the right value or copy/paste from my previous post, looks like a slight typo there. Set 00000000 to show menu option to enable or disable automatic updates but with the missing update button, this do nothing. Just use EnableAutomaticUpdates, it's enough to disable the auto update.

Private, Jan 9, 2016
  11. S00
    s00 Win User
    thanks cereberus

I thought all the way to be done

12. S00
    s00 Win User
    thanks Private
    yes the update button missing from my office and I tested other office program.
    I tested both 0 and 1value but The result was the same.

13. Private Win User

Disable update

Yes, the value is for the menu under update button. If there's no button means no menu. *Biggrin

Glad to help, you're welcome.

Private, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Disable update

1. Disable update - Similar Threads - Disable update

2. How to permanent disable Windows Updates on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to permanent disable Windows Updates on Windows 11?: I have a dell laptop I got for taking to and from uni. The school gave me a 900 dollar grant for a laptop from the student store and it was dell or a Mac. It has a loose connector and sometimes runs out of juice.So. I go afk and it runs out of batteries. It happens sometimes....
  3. How to permanent disable Windows Updates on Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to permanent disable Windows Updates on Windows 11?: I have a dell laptop I got for taking to and from uni. The school gave me a 900 dollar grant for a laptop from the student store and it was dell or a Mac. It has a loose connector and sometimes runs out of juice.So. I go afk and it runs out of batteries. It happens sometimes....
  4. Windows no longer updates on my PC, how do I permanently disable updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows no longer updates on my PC, how do I permanently disable updates?: I have been trying to download this update in the image and it always fails to download no matter what I do. I have a genuine windows key and did all the easy troubleshooting like a reboot and even tried some guides online to no success. This is a major issue because...
  5. Windows no longer updates on my PC, how do I permanently disable updates?

Windows no longer updates on my PC, how do I permanently disable updates?: I have been trying to download this update in the image and it always fails to download no matter what I do. I have a genuine windows key and did all the easy troubleshooting like a reboot and even tried some guides online to no success. This is a major issue because...
  6. Microphone keeps getting disabled after Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone keeps getting disabled after Update: Split from this thread. My Microphone keeps getting disabled after this update, if have to go in settings and manually turn it on every time it disconnects, and it disconnects quite often....
  7. Microphone keeps getting disabled after Update

Microphone keeps getting disabled after Update: Split from this thread. My Microphone keeps getting disabled after this update, if have to go in settings and manually turn it on every time it disconnects, and it disconnects quite often....
  8. Microphone keeps getting disabled after Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. How do I disable automatic Windows 10 updates until I manually turn it back on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable automatic Windows 10 updates until I manually turn it back on: Hello guys I tried disabling the windows update using the services program which runs after restarting windows. I also tried using the registry editor way which didn't work. I don't want to enable metered connection. Is there any other way to disable the windows 10 update...
  10. How do I disable automatic Windows 10 updates until I manually turn it back on

How do I disable automatic Windows 10 updates until I manually turn it back on: Hello guys I tried disabling the windows update using the services program which runs after restarting windows. I also tried using the registry editor way which didn't work. I don't want to enable metered connection. Is there any other way to disable the windows 10 update...