Windows 10: Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 Update in Windows 7 or 8.1

Discus and support Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 Update in Windows 7 or 8.1 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Shawn, does the group policy option add that reg key when enabled? I notice I already have that reg entry without using the reg file. Correct. It's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Tony K, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 Update in Windows 7 or 8.1

Correct. It's not there by default, and only added when merging the .reg file to apply the policy. *Smile

Brink, Dec 1, 2015
  2. derekimo Win User

Thanks Shawn, I kind of figured that must be the case.

derekimo, Dec 1, 2015
  3. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Dec 9, 2015
  4. townsbg Win User

Today for the first time I got the update nag when checking for new updates. I have since added the registry entry mentioned in the tutorial as well as set the group policy entry for the update yet I still got the nag on start up. I found the entries in task manager but Windows won't let me disable the ones under gpxtriggers. I did disable the others so on last reboot I did not get the nag. How do I make sure that I don't get it again and that Windows isn't downloading the update?

townsbg, Dec 11, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hey townsbg, *Smile

Double check to see if this below is what you're seeing instead.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...s-7-8-1-a.html

Brink, Dec 12, 2015
  6. townsbg Win User
    Yes that's what it is so I already implemented option 2. How do I make sure that it isn't being downloaded?

townsbg, Dec 12, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ok, good. I'd recommend to use option 3 instead. This way you don't have to worry about it being downloaded or not since it'll be disabled.

Brink, Dec 12, 2015
  8. townsbg Win User

I already have that set.

townsbg, Dec 14, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're good to go then to prevent the update to Windows 10 from being downloaded. *Smile

Brink, Dec 14, 2015
  10. What I like to do is use Virtual Machines and see if they actually work and then attempt on my Physical Machine

tristintorres, Dec 19, 2015
  11. Steve C Win User
    A VM is useful to test whether your programs will work but the VM won't reveal any hardware issues which may affect the upgrade as I discovered.

Steve C, Dec 20, 2015
  12. Tony K Win User
    Ugh! I'll be doggone that the KB3035583 update somehow snuck on again after performing everything in this tutorial! Booted up my 8.1 and there appeared the GWX ad balloon appeared.

I did the reg file merge and the GPE change again. We'll see how it goes.

Tony K, Dec 20, 2015
  13. LittleJay Win User

Hi HG. Yes I noticed KB30355863 showed up in Windows Updates once again as a recommended update. I think this is the 3 or 4th time I've hidden it, but like a bad habit it keeps coming back. *Biggrin

LittleJay, Dec 20, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    For GWX, you would want to use OPTION THREE below instead. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...s-7-8-1-a.html

Brink, Dec 20, 2015
  15. Tony K Win User
    Thanks, Shawn. Done deal, although I thought the GPE fix was the ultimate block for the update, yes?

What I did was uninstall the update, rebooted, then checked for update. When it appeared again I hid it.

Tony K, Dec 20, 2015
Thema:

1. Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 Update in Windows 7 or 8.1 - Similar Threads - Disable Upgrade Update

2. Windows 7 to 8 upgrade fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 to 8 upgrade fails: Everytime I upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 RTM, it boots into a black screen, and then after that, I have to force reboot for it to rollback. I attached the logs below. I must upgrade to Windows 8 RTM. I know it is EOL but I must do it for reasons that will not be disclosed....
  3. Windows 7 to 8 upgrade fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 to 8 upgrade fails: Everytime I upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 RTM, it boots into a black screen, and then after that, I have to force reboot for it to rollback. I attached the logs below. I must upgrade to Windows 8 RTM. I know it is EOL but I must do it for reasons that will not be disclosed....
  4. Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1: Hi, Can I still upgrade free of cost into windows 10 from windows 7 or windows 8/8.1 Computers. They can activate by windows 7/8/8.1 product keys. Please reply...
  5. Windows 10, 8, or 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, 8, or 7: Can Windows 10, 8, or 7 be installed on a MacBook Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-8-or-7/1b2b0ef2-d4e9-494a-afda-ab7773e1ea39
  6. upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 in RAID 1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 in RAID 1: I have a Dell precision T3600 with RAID 1 configuration running Windows 7 Professional that I want to upgrade to Windows 10. My goal is to upgrade without loosing functionality. So, I have some questions. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 in the RAID 1 configuration following a...
  7. Upgrading Windows 7/8 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading Windows 7/8 to Windows 10: I have some legal/technical questions Today I updated 3 pcs to Windows 10 1909 PC1: Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro, I didn't need to provide a license key. PC2: Windows 8 Home to Windows 10 Home, I didn't need to provide a license key, but when I tried to upgrade from...
  8. Disable Command Prompt in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Disable Command Prompt in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10: How to: Disable Command Prompt in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Command Prompt in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands at the...
  9. Disable Run Dialog Box in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Disable Run Dialog Box in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10: How to: Disable Run Dialog Box in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Run Dialog Box in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 The Run dialog box Win + R provides an easy way to run commands and open items (ex: apps, files, folders, drives,...
  10. Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8: Just read an article that claims that Microsoft will automatically install Windows 10 on your computer if you have Windows 7 & 8. This is bad because I personally will never use it. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#3672c44175eb "Happy using Windows 7 or...