Windows 10: Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 Update in Windows 7 or 8.1

Discus and support Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 Update in Windows 7 or 8.1 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Nar, this tutorial is only for the "Upgrade to Windows 10" in Windows Update instead. The GWX icon is a separate issue. Of course, it doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Tony K, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 Update in Windows 7 or 8.1

Nar, this tutorial is only for the "Upgrade to Windows 10" in Windows Update instead.

The GWX icon is a separate issue.

Of course, it doesn't help that recent Windows Updates have been resetting settings back to default.

Brink, Dec 20, 2015
  2. Tony K Win User

OK, thanks. So now they are resetting to defaults. Grrr! I'll just look for that update, uninstall, then hide it. I'll also configure it to download updates and let me choose for now.

Tony K, Dec 20, 2015
  3. townsbg Win User
    My mom has 7 and doesn't want to upgrade to 10. I followed this tutorial to disable the prompt and that worked for a while but now whenever the computer is rebooted she gets the upgrade icon. I checked the settings and upgrade is still disabled in group policy and some of the gwx triggers are disabled in task scheduler. Some I could never disable due to lack of permissions. Other than the tasks being owned by system I'm not sure why I get that error since she is a full admin. I never tried the built in admin account. Could that make a difference? Did M$ change something in one of the last updates to circumvent our attempts of bypassing this nag?

townsbg, Jan 22, 2016
  4. derekimo Win User

What prompt are you talking about? This one?

Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 Update in Windows 7 or 8.1 [​IMG]

derekimo, Jan 22, 2016
  5. townsbg Win User
    No the icon in the notification area.

townsbg, Jan 22, 2016
  6. derekimo Win User
    That's not what this tutorial does, it has nothing to do with that icon.

This disables that option you see above, which is the OS upgrade through windows update.

If you have done that, the icon is harmless besides being an annoyance to some.

derekimo, Jan 22, 2016
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jan 22, 2016
  8. townsbg Win User

What do I set that registry key to? Your tutorial doesn't make that clear.

townsbg, Jan 22, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It's pretty clear in the note box under OPTION THREE, but you could also use the .reg files in that option to disable the GWX icon.

Brink, Jan 22, 2016
  10. balubeto Win User
    If I apply the one or two option to Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.x, I avoid again the automatic download of the upgrade to Windows 10? If not, how do I prevent this?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, Feb 2, 2016
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Correct. *Smile

Brink, Feb 2, 2016
  12. Got a totally new one for you! As you may already know MS has a new twist in seeing 10 now being a "recommended update" with a brand new 10 app now being seen on the notification area. The white 10 logo still looks the same only with a new message recommending the upgrade to 10 instead of the original option to reserve a copy.

The KB3035583 is no longer the culprit while I suspect the KB2952664 update is failing since the upgrade to latest version was already on the disabled list. Presently however I am trying to id this new update which may be hidden? So far this has only appeared on the second remote pc used for testing purposes and not seen at on the 7 of the main build here.

Night Hawk, Feb 4, 2016
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hey mate,

Does OPTION THREE below still disable the new version of the icon for you?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...s-7-8-1-a.html

Brink, Feb 4, 2016
  14. Well I did find out one thing. When originally hiding the update from the list after removing it the first time the update got on hidden from view still seeing the exact same "KB3035583" number as well as seeing the other "KB2952664" fail to go on since the registry key was added in originally to block the automatic upgrade. Not having run the second since the holidays and going to see if I was able to upgrade to the latest Insider build on the VM running in 7 there I got in the 2/4/16 updates without seeing the KB3035583 in the list and yet the 10 app was spotted again!

After several looks going back and forth between the Install updates and Updates history it was finally spotted and I simply hit the uninstall there. Unfortunately the uninstall seems to be caught in a loop where the reset button may be needed! *Sick

It was! Once 7 was back at the desktop the 10 app was no more after watching the startup showing things at the 44% mark until the uninstall was finished. The two updates were found in the Restore hidden updates there with no trace of the 10 app for the time being once again. Originally while having downloaded the reg mod in Option Three of the guide there I simply entered the new key manually back in September.

Yet for some reason with MS making a change to the same as far as what comes up it got back on again despite the Upgrade to the latest version feature on the disabled list as well as having removed the 10 app on both the main build and the remote pc there. And this time now being in February you will now be seeing the two upgrade options rather then the "reserve your free copy" in the popup!

The download had been used on the previously 7 laptop where I later opted for the upgrade as well as a pair of 8.1 laptops while both the main and remote cases saw the manual reg edit take place. As you can from the first of the two screens there some very familar folders will have to be removed again since it was the other drive that ended up seeing 10 there before the second drive was even added in afterwards for looking over the Insider builds.

With the 10 app removed entirely I also went into the Local Group Policy(Option Two) as well as trying Option One in the guide here out. I have a few friends one waiting to get a second hard drive for his laptop to run 10 on there and worried about losing stuff on the OEM 8.1 drive as well as the better half I had already entered the new reg value in on as well as seeing the first 10 app update removed a few months back. Another ordered a 7 laptop back in 2013 and wants to keep 7 running there who will be pointed to the guide here.

One thing about the run command line option is that is found in the 7 Start menu right as the alternate route to get to the Locla Group Policy Editor still seeing the same command entered. That will be much easier for many then them risking it trying to add a new entry into the System registry manually and why Option One is still the quick and easy solution! *Biggrin

Night Hawk, Feb 4, 2016
  15. sml156 Win User
    Not sure if anyone is interested but here is a list of updates not to install

Windows 7

Update No Description KB3139929 Security update for Internet Explorer KB3083710 Windows Update Client KB3083324 Windows Update Client KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry KB3065987 Windows Update Client KB3050267 Windows Update Client KB3050265 Windows Update Client KB3035583 Update installs Get Windows 10 app KB3022345 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry KB3021917 Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements KB2952664 Compatibility update KB3146449 Updated Internet Explorer 11 capabilities to upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 8.1

Update No Description KB3139929 Security update for Internet Explorer KB3083325 Windows Update Client KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry KB3075853 Windows Update Client KB3075249 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe KB3068708 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry KB3065988 Windows Update Client KB3050267 Windows Update Client KB3046480 Helps to determine whether to migrate the .NET Framework 1.1 KB3044374 Update that enables you to upgrade KB3035583 Update installs Get Windows 10 app KB3022345 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry KB2976978 Compatibility update KB2902907 MS Security Essentials/Windows Defender related update KB3146449 Updated Internet Explorer 11 capabilities to upgrade to Windows 10

sml156, Mar 11, 2016
Thema:

1. Disable Upgrade to Windows 10 Update in Windows 7 or 8.1 - Similar Threads - Disable Upgrade Update

2. Windows 7 to 8 upgrade fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 to 8 upgrade fails: Everytime I upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 RTM, it boots into a black screen, and then after that, I have to force reboot for it to rollback. I attached the logs below. I must upgrade to Windows 8 RTM. I know it is EOL but I must do it for reasons that will not be disclosed....
  3. Windows 7 to 8 upgrade fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 to 8 upgrade fails: Everytime I upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 RTM, it boots into a black screen, and then after that, I have to force reboot for it to rollback. I attached the logs below. I must upgrade to Windows 8 RTM. I know it is EOL but I must do it for reasons that will not be disclosed....
  4. Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1: Hi, Can I still upgrade free of cost into windows 10 from windows 7 or windows 8/8.1 Computers. They can activate by windows 7/8/8.1 product keys. Please reply...
  5. Windows 10, 8, or 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, 8, or 7: Can Windows 10, 8, or 7 be installed on a MacBook Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-8-or-7/1b2b0ef2-d4e9-494a-afda-ab7773e1ea39
  6. upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 in RAID 1

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 in RAID 1: I have a Dell precision T3600 with RAID 1 configuration running Windows 7 Professional that I want to upgrade to Windows 10. My goal is to upgrade without loosing functionality. So, I have some questions. Can I upgrade to Windows 10 in the RAID 1 configuration following a...
  7. Upgrading Windows 7/8 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading Windows 7/8 to Windows 10: I have some legal/technical questions Today I updated 3 pcs to Windows 10 1909 PC1: Windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro, I didn't need to provide a license key. PC2: Windows 8 Home to Windows 10 Home, I didn't need to provide a license key, but when I tried to upgrade from...
  8. Disable Command Prompt in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Disable Command Prompt in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10: How to: Disable Command Prompt in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Command Prompt in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands at the...
  9. Disable Run Dialog Box in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Disable Run Dialog Box in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10: How to: Disable Run Dialog Box in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Run Dialog Box in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 The Run dialog box Win + R provides an easy way to run commands and open items (ex: apps, files, folders, drives,...
  10. Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Automatic Upgrades Hit Windows 7 And Windows 8: Just read an article that claims that Microsoft will automatically install Windows 10 on your computer if you have Windows 7 & 8. This is bad because I personally will never use it. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#3672c44175eb "Happy using Windows 7 or...